Will ARK 2 be a Flop or Hit ?

SeaJay

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing bad but hoping not. The fact is they've completely failed on the PC PvP side of things with cheaters so the question is whether the PvE will be better or not, which I'd say there's a decent chance of. I'm guessing they are going to enable full crossplay though which will mean you can no longer avoid cheaters on console. That paired with the fact that part of the reason Ark 1 cheats are so bad is because a snail games employee in china stole/sold the source code (see the lawsuit by WC about it if you don't believe) and there's prolly another dude waiting for his chance to make bank with the Ark 2 source code.

Oh PvE will be a fail in Ark2, they have announced that there will be AI tribes going around making trouble for players and given how incredibly lazy pve players are they will cry and complain that it's too hard and that pve should be a challengeless slog full of toxic griefers just like how it currently is.

• Facepalm 6

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I doubt it will be a hit. 
Most ark players I have spoken too want a reworked version of ark 1, remove the meshing, cheating, bugs, exploits etc and start primitive again.
What we get is some mixture of darksouls with dinosaurs. I Truly do not see this work for the current player base. 
Just look at what happened to other popular games in the past, if you go to far from the original game you loose players. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think it would have been a massive hit it with unreal engine 5, upgraded / more building structures Etc  BUT combat mechanics, lock on target, no first person not sure if it will be as big as a hit as the first, and ive played Ark 1  from early access and loved it.

why change the core gameplay on such a good title is beyond me

• Thanks 1

I feel its going to flop seeing as there not going for the survival aspect so much as combat and for me at least no first person is gonna suck I'll try it for sure but I think if its to much of a combat game and not a survival game I'd stick with ark 1. It has a lot of potential and if people dont like it they may bring updates to ark 2 but they couldn't change to much core gameplay because then they would have to make a whole new game. multiplayer would not work at all if everybody was Santiago so I hope wildcard adds a character creator for multiplayer and they have to add multiplayer otherwise it wouldn't be ark at all.

I hope it goes over well, but if im being honest the more and more i Read about it the more worried it makes me. 

I've been a part of this community since the very start. Day 1 of Early Access. That's a long time, and despite all the bumps we have had over time, watching the game develop into the success that it is has been a positive journey that has given me thousands of hours of gameplay.   

That said, for me at least, Ark is a survival sandbox with dinosaurs. Thats the Identity of the IP for me. I play ark because thats what I like. If I wanted to play dark souls I would play Dark souls. If I wanted to play Monster Hunter, I would play Monster Hunter ect ect. Ark offers something very unique to the survival sandbox genre that no other game really does. 

So my big concern here is that Ark 2 seems to be a huge departure from what Ark is and from that Identity we have all grown to love as a community of going on 8 years now (man time sure flies). For me, even if Ark 2 is a good game, it still wont be Ark. I also worry about them leaning so heavily into a curated PvE experience. Even if it ends up being good,  these types of games have a shorter lifespan usually than sandboxes where you are expected to make your own fun do.   Just look at Rust, that game is ancient, and its more popular than ever.

I feel that ending support for Ark 1 is a mistake because they seem to be 2 different experiences entirely, and it leaves Wildcard in a vulnerable position, should Ark 2 not be well received.  With just how different Ark 2 is looking to be, there are going to be some (maybe a lot even) of players who dont like it and will want to go back to Ark 1, which wont get support anymore. It's so risky.

Ultimately, I think what I really want from Wildcard is to redo Ark 1. Better coding, UE5, Better optimization, Bug fixes, a real balance overhaul, fix the flaws in the game design as best they can ect (as much as people don't like Tek, pre Tek Ark had some really big issues too which tek really helped to alleviate).    I look at Ark and then at Rust and I wonder why Ark cant be like Rust in that it gets constant updates. I would be willing to accept (hell, even support ) a similar method of monetization (a selection of player made skins being sold in the shop with a revenue split between Wildcard and the creator) to pay for the continued support and perhaps even additional content. 

I respect the creative vision behind Ark 2 and will give Ark 2 a shot, but, I worry it might be too different from the core identity of Ark as an IP to be received well by a lot of people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have thousands of hours sunk into ARK. Not that long ago I played CONAN for far to long as well. I found myself playing CONAN and wishing some of those mechanics had been in ARK. The way it is sounding, these two games are sort of being meshed, climbing, building, combat tactics. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Either way, no one is forcing any of us to buy or play it. So I'm going into it open minded. I'm curious to see what they create here.

Plus, who doesn't want to play "Fast and the Dinos!"

• Haha 1

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Dodge2143 said:

The amount of people saying that they won't play because of certain mechanics (namely the combat and target locking) is a bit too much. We haven't seen how any of this is going to work yet, and people are saying that they won't play because "I saw this mechanic in another game and I didn't like it." We don't know how WC is going to have the combat and locking work yet, so just wait.

When they say Ark 2 will have souls-like combat and people have played the Souls games and don't like that style of gameplay. It's safe for them to say they won't like it in Ark as well. 

3 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

When they say Ark 2 will have souls-like combat and people have played the Souls games and don't like that style of gameplay. It's safe for them to say they won't like it in Ark as well. 

Hi Joe! Personally I don't even mind Souls combat, I really enjoyed Elden Ring for example. But for me this type of gameplay doesn't really belong in Ark. You wouldn't add souls like combat to Pokemon right (just an example)? 

I know WIldcard is just trying to be creative, and I can respect that especially since the broader game industry doesn't take very many risks anymore.  Ark 1 is good already though. Some of the improvements they have talked about in ark 2 like the creatures actually hunting rather than just having radars  are definitely good. Really good actually.  I just dont think they need to reinvent the wheel. Improve on the original formula that makes ark 1 so good in the first place and ark 2 would be a hit. Rework the code, improve the game design, fix bugs and exploits which they cant currently fix,  that new hunting mechanic they are talking about creatures having, ect. 

Edited by RealNomad

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, RealNomad said:

Hi Joe! Personally I don't even mind Souls combat, I really enjoyed Elden Ring for example. But for me this type of gameplay doesn't really belong in Ark. You wouldn't add souls like combat to Pokemon right (just an example)? 

I know WIldcard is just trying to be creative, and I can respect that especially since the broader game industry doesn't take very many risks anymore.  Ark 1 is good already though. Some of the improvements they have talked about in ark 2 like the creatures actually hunting rather than just having radars  are definitely good. Really good actually.  I just dont think they need to reinvent the wheel. Improve on the original formula that makes ark 1 so good in the first place and ark 2 would be a hit. Rework the code, improve the game design, fix bugs and exploits which they cant currently fix,  that new hunting mechanic they are talking about creatures having, ect. 

I think that's pretty much what a lot of people would have liked. I can only speak for myself. I like most all of the aspects of what they seem to be planning for Ark 2. All but the combat. I loathe Souls combat. But, I'll have to wait and see. If it ends up like a Souls game I don't imagine I'll play it, or at least for very long. I dropped Elden Ring like a hot potato even though the game is beautiful.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I think that's pretty much what a lot of people would have liked. I can only speak for myself. I like most all of the aspects of what they seem to be planning for Ark 2. All but the combat. I loathe Souls combat. But, I'll have to wait and see. If it ends up like a Souls game I don't imagine I'll play it, or at least for very long. I dropped Elden Ring like a hot potato even though the game is beautiful.

Yeah we will have to see. I do plan on giving Ark 2 a chance so im not going to make any prejudgments about its quality. For people who detest souls like combat the choice will be very simple I imagine. I don't mind the combat so much if it is appropriate for the game (I feel that it doesnt belong in ark), and so, I dont imagine I will be quit Ark for Ark 2 either.   The fact that they are porting Ark to UE 5 gives me some hope that wildcard might at some point rework ark 1 and bring in some major improvements.

We need seasons (summer autumn winter and spring), Moon phases (some nights darker than others), improved weather (thunderstorms, wind storms that make flying really difficult and blow you around, Blizzards and coldsnaps for the Snow biomes and winter. Season dependent of course.) Improved dino Ai and that hunting behavior. Heck, bring over a bunch of the improvements from Ark 2 (vaulting and improved environment traversal? Yes please!) Maybe the terrain could become more treacherous when its wet during or after a storm, or iced over. Disable gamma commands on official and kill off the texture packs or whatever people use to remove water, vegetation ect and almost have x-ray vision. No more cheating!  

We desperately need a complete PvP rebalance as well.  Explosives, mechs ect become a hell of a lot harder to make. Structures have way more health and are harder to destroy. Turrets are far more effective at tearing apart soakers. No more 3rd person C-4ing. No more CP and polymer factories. Lets slow the game down a bit and bring back some risk to raiding people. Additionally, for many years now, attackers have had an overwhelming advantage against defenders which forces people to live in caves and ratholes to give themselves a chance of successfully mounting a defense against raiders. The changes I am suggesting here are to even the playing field as much as possible.

Ark, very early in EA, from 2015 EA release up to early 2016 (pre Version 236 I believe, which brought the introduction of the beaver and beaver dams), despite all of its issues and not being feature complete was a better experience than what we have now, being far more balanced. Reaching goals was far more rewarding as well, and that's not my rose tinted glasses talking! I remember all too well the incredible amounts of lag, performance problems, crashing and bugs the game had back then, not to mention breeding when it first came out was one of the most grueling and painful experiences I have ever had in ark, heck, I would even say in video games in general. Story time!   My first attempt at breeding was a Quetzal (having a Quetzal at all was a an enormous deal back then. ) Being a solo player on official,  I had to stay awake for the entire baby phase and well into the juvenile phase to ensure it didn't starve while I slept since there were no cryopods or refrigerated troughs. This meant once it hatched I was awake for DAYS straight feeding this thing. I don't have any words to accurately describe how painful it was, or my level of elation when it was grown.  You had to work really hard for even the smallest things, and that hardship meant you appreciated your progression so much more.  The game mostly lacks this kind of  hardship now, and as a result, progressing does not yield anywhere close to the level of satisfaction as it did then. 

Anyway, story aside, Stuff like that would be absolutely incredible to see for Ark 1. They would fundamentally improve the game in almost every possible way. My apologies for the tangent, I just got to remembering the way the game used to be very early on and missing it.

Edited by RealNomad

• Volunteer Moderator
On 2/21/2023 at 5:00 PM, RealNomad said:

wind storms that make flying really difficult and blow you around

Careful what you ask for though. The earthquakes in Ab were *neat for a short while and then became completely annoying and were nerfed.

But I think it's clear most people want all that cool new stuff from Ark 2. In Ark 1. 

Edited by Joebl0w13