Ark 1 events are the life of this game.

SarahMonette

When Ark 2 releases Wildcard is discontinuing all Ark 1 events.  That means no more colored dinos. 

Only a few players are obsessed with ugly green dinos.  Most of us know now that real life dinos were covered in fur or feathers that were brightly colored for mating rights.  The scales belonged to a few at that may also have been in coloration.   So dinos were colorful back when they were alive on earth.  It's silly to defend the stagnant colorations assumed because crocodiles and allegators modern adaptations.  Past dinos are not even related to modern crocs.

Yet we may loose this most valuable interpretation?

It really says to me the devs are quiting all support for Ark 1 just letting us down slowly.  

Right now Ark 1 is fourth in popularity on Battlemetrics list of survival games.  If they quit off the events no more colored dinos no more exciting something look forward to on the weekends I bet high dollar Ark 1 will start to fall.  They'll blame it on old engine etc etc.  Meaning Ark 1 will not be killed by Ark 2 but by poor marketing decisions based on a dev team that wants to kill Ark 1 because they, not us, are tired of dealing with it.

More charts:  ARK: Survival Evolved - Steam Charts , Steam: Game and Player Statistics (steampowered.com) , Steam Charts and Stats · Most Played Games on Steam · SteamDB

• Volunteer Moderator

While I'm not saying they are going to do this. It's perfectly normal for a company to let a game simply die off through attrition.

Most people don't look at this for what it is, a business decision. They already have your money for the old game. They aren't going to collect much revenue from Ark 1 yet they certainly will accrue costs for it if they keep servers up and maintain them, spend any amount of time fixing bugs or developing new content.

Will be interesting to see which way they go here. I would be willing to bet these decisions will be based on initial sales of Ark 2. If they haven't already been made in advance.

6 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Perhaps. Like I said, I would argue that you won't know the future of Ark 1 until most of the initial sales from Ark 2 are in.

Personally I lean towards them just pulling events and nonessential general support rather than pulling the plug entirely. Some believe they'll be outright dropped however that'd be a boneheaded move on WC's part since people would see that as a greedy attempt to rake in cash by forcing players to accept ark2. It'd kill what goodwill the players have outright.

My bet:

- WC will make element transferable
- enable at least 2x or 3x all the time, at least for breeding
- all color can spawn with some rarerity
- maybe enable breeding on creatures like Griffin and Basilisk
- ..(put here what you desire)

This will create a player and  playtime peak for a short time, then  it will decay slowly. Why? Because if WC gives everything literally away for "free" there is nothing people can aim for in the long run. They will loose interest very fast because there is nothing new to achive.
Now WC got their back and people will play Ark 2, new dinos, new adventures and stories :)
So it will die anyway...

Just my logical guess and i am not going to  buy Ark 2, cause its the same company, same marketing people, same coders, same bugs, same customer support and same crashes... Why should they change it?

15 hours ago, SarahMonette said:

Right now Ark 1 is fourth in popularity on Battlemetrics list of survival games.

That's true, but no one (including you) has any idea whether it will continue to be true once ARK2 is released. The question that no one knows the answer to until it happens is whether most of the current ARK player base will move to ARK2 or whether there will still be a large portion of players who simply keep playing ARK and ignoring ARK2.

The reality is that people are not going to stick with ARK simply because of dino color, and they're not going to jump from ARK to ARK2 simply because of the lack of dino colors. People are more complicated than that, they're going to choose which game to play based on multiple factors, with dino colors being only one of those factors.

If they quit off the events no more colored dinos no more exciting something look forward to on the weekends I bet high dollar Ark 1 will start to fall.

Yet again you're oversimplifying the game industry based on your personal preferences. You like colored dinos, that's perfectly reasonable and I'm not criticizing you for that. You have every right to like the things you like and anyone who's reasonable supports your right to like colored dinos. But for you to claim that ARK will fail simply because of the one thing that you care about is just silly.

Meaning Ark 1 will not be killed by Ark 2 but by poor marketing decisions based on a dev team that wants to kill Ark 1 because they, not us, are tired of dealing with it.

What your either missing or  ignoring is that game companies make their decisions based on money & income, not based on battle metrics. Yes, lots and lots of people are still playing ARK but how many new copies are being sold per week or per month? Are they making enough money from sales to keep the game going on and on? ARK has made mind-bogglingly huge amounts of money over the years, but that doesn't mean it will continue to make money even if they have lots of events with colored dinos. ARK doesn't have subscriptions, ARK doesn't have microtransactions, if they can't keep selling a lot of new copies every money then the game will stop making a profit. In fact a game with lots of people playing that is not selling enough copies would actually lose money.

* Being the 4th most popular game is a great way to go bankrupt if you can't keep making money from new sales of copies of the game.

Even if they continued to have weekend events and holiday events with dino colors that doesn't mean they would continue to make money from ARK, all it means is that they would be spending money to continue supporting a game that may or may not be making a profit at that point.

WildCard is bad at some things, but one thing they're very good at is making money. If supporting weekend and holiday events even after ARK2 comes out would help ARK continue to be profitable you can be certain that they would resume having those events. They didn't decide to stop having events simply because they're lazy, they didn't make that decision simply because they are "tired of dealing with it", they made that decision because they know things that you and I don't know. They know how much money ARK is making and how much money they expect it to continue making after ARK2 is released and you can be sure that if they believe bringing back events and more colored dinos would help ARK make more money again then they would definitely do it.

And... maybe that will happen. It's entirely possible that ARK2 will also stimulate a bunch of new players to also buy a copy of ARK, with some people playing both of the games to see which one they like better. But... I wouldn't count on that. Profits for ARK have been declining, they've been giving away (or selling for deep discounts) copies for quite a while now because they're trying to keep players interested in ARK until ARK2 is released. None of this has anything to do with being "tired of dealing with it", it all has to do with the realities of running a business. Even if WC absolutely loves ARK and wants to continue supporting it, they need it to continue making money in order to do that. That's not bad marketing decisions, it's just the reality of what's making money for them and what isn't.

16 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

È vero, ma nessuno (incluso te) ha idea se continuerà ad essere vero una volta rilasciato ARK2. La domanda a cui nessuno conosce la risposta fino a quando non accadrà è se la maggior parte dell'attuale base di giocatori di ARK si sposterà su ARK2 o se ci sarà ancora una grande parte di giocatori che continueranno semplicemente a giocare ad ARK ignorando ARK2.

La realtà è che le persone non rimarranno con ARK semplicemente a causa del colore dei dinosauri, e non salteranno da ARK ad ARK2 semplicemente per la mancanza dei colori dei dinosauri. Le persone sono più complicate di così, sceglieranno a quale gioco giocare in base a molteplici fattori, con i colori dei dinosauri solo uno di questi fattori.

Ancora una volta stai semplificando eccessivamente l'industria dei giochi in base alle tue preferenze personali. Ti piacciono i dinosauri colorati, è perfettamente ragionevole e non ti sto criticando per questo. Hai tutto il diritto di apprezzare le cose che ti piacciono e chiunque sia ragionevole sostiene il tuo diritto di amare i dinosauri colorati. Ma per te affermare che ARK fallirà semplicemente perché l'unica cosa a cui tieni è semplicemente sciocco.

Ciò che ti manca o ignori è che le società di giochi prendono le loro decisioni in base a denaro e reddito, non in base a parametri di battaglia. Sì, molte persone stanno ancora giocando ad ARK , ma quante nuove copie vengono vendute a settimana o al mese? Stanno guadagnando abbastanza soldi dalle vendite per continuare il gioco? ARK ha guadagnato enormi quantità di denaro nel corso degli anni, ma ciò non significa che continuerà a fare soldi anche se hanno molti eventi con dinosauri colorati . ARK non ha abbonamenti, ARK non ha microtransazioni, se non possono continuare a vendere molte nuove copie ogni denaro, il gioco smetterà di realizzare profitti. In effetti, un gioco con molte persone che giocano che non vendono abbastanza copie perderebbe effettivamente denaro.

* Essere il quarto gioco più popolare è un ottimo modo per andare in bancarotta se non riesci a continuare a guadagnare dalle nuove vendite di copie del gioco.

Anche se continuassero a organizzare eventi del fine settimana ed eventi festivi con i colori dei dinosauri, ciò non significa che continuerebbero a fare soldi da ARK, significa solo che spenderebbero soldi per continuare a supportare un gioco che potrebbe o meno fare un profitto a quel punto.

WildCard è pessimo in alcune cose, ma una cosa in cui sono molto bravi è fare soldi. Se supportare gli eventi del fine settimana e delle vacanze anche dopo l'uscita di ARK2 aiutasse ARK a continuare a essere redditizio, puoi essere certo che riprenderebbero ad avere quegli eventi. Non hanno deciso di smettere di avere eventi semplicemente perché sono pigri, non hanno preso quella decisione semplicemente perché sono "stanchi di affrontarli", hanno preso quella decisione perché sanno cose che tu e io non sappiamo sapere. Sanno quanti soldi sta facendo ARK e quanti soldi si aspettano che continui a fare dopo il rilascio di ARK2 e puoi essere sicuro che se credono che riportare eventi e dinosauri più colorati aiuterebbe ARK a fare di nuovo più soldi, lo farebbero sicuramente esso.

E... forse succederà. È del tutto possibile che ARK2 stimolerà anche un gruppo di nuovi giocatori ad acquistare anche una copia di ARK, con alcune persone che giocano a entrambi i giochi per vedere gli piace di più. Ma... non ci conto. I profitti per ARK sono in calo, da un po' di tempo regalano (o vendono per sconti profondi) copie perché stanno cercando di mantenere i giocatori interessati ad ARK fino al rilascio di ARK2. Niente di tutto ciò ha a che fare con l'essere "stanchi di affrontarerlo", tutto ha a che fare con la realtà della gestione di un'impresa. Anche se WC ama assolutamente ARK e vuole continuare a sostenererlo, ha bisogno che continui a fare soldi per farlo.Non sono cattive decisioni di marketing, è solo la realtà di ciò che sta facendo soldi per loro e cosa non lo è.

Cito... nessuno di noi (giocatori) pensa al DURO LAVORO del WC nel backstage per un gioco molto grande come ARK... meccaniche di gioco difficili, combinazione di transer con più mappe (grandi ed elaborate), molti molti animali con statistiche diverse -comportamento-addomesticamento mod, oggetti infiniti-engram-esercito-strutture tipo, ecc. ecc. ......e tutto: NO PAY IN GAME!!! (e NESSUN PAGA PER VINCERE!!!)

I caratteri jolly seguono questa produzione di SEVEN YARS (tempo non di lotto..) in modalità attiva, come fanno gli altri team?? E come altri ascoltano il feedback dei giocatori?

For me: thanks for this beatifull game and thanks for your work Wildcard.

11 hours ago, CervantesMor said:

Cito... nessuno di noi (giocatori) pensa al DURO LAVORO del WC nel backstage per un gioco molto grande come ARK... meccaniche di gioco difficili, combinazione di transer con più mappe (grandi ed elaborate), molti molti animali con statistiche diverse -comportamento-addomesticamento mod, oggetti infiniti-engram-esercito-strutture tipo, ecc. ecc. ......e tutto: NO PAY IN GAME!!! (e NESSUN PAGA PER VINCERE!!!)

I caratteri jolly seguono questa produzione di SEVEN YARS (tempo non di lotto..) in modalità attiva, come fanno gli altri team?? E come altri ascoltano il feedback dei giocatori?

sorry I wrote with the automatic translator active, I rewrite via googletranslate.

none of us (players) think of WC's HARD WORK backstage for a very large game like ARK ... complex game mechanics, combination of transfers with multiple maps (plus large and elaborate), many many animals with various: stats- behavior-domestication methods-etc; items-engrams-armaments-structures-recipes, etc. etc. ...... and all: NO PAY IN GAME !!! (and NO PAY TO WIN !!!)

In Wildcard they have been actively following this production for SEVEN YEARS (not a short time I would say ..), how many other producers do it? And how many others listen to player feedback?

..and I add: anyone who wanted Ark1 with different parameters (example: breeding speed, harvesting, etc.) has the possibility to do so: WC has always given the possibility to create private servers with a wide range of adjustable and playable settings online, so we players should think a little more before complaining, everyone has defects and difficulties in solving everything but no one looks at the enormous amount of work that could be behind it .... especially at the same time as the development of Ark2 whose intentions are to make a qualitative leap and surely the experience with the first Ark will help them to avoid many gaps that we have complained about so far, and we should encourage and help them (not just accuse them).

PS: I also bet that in case they are forced to reduce the number of servers, WC will even give the Save files to give us the possibility to keep and continue our game and our bases and animals in private, they have already done this too in the past ... and in any case NO OFFICIALLY has ever hinted that they will permanently shut down all servers, or leave them to themselves ...

Archived