Any advice for joining a brand new DLC map?

mattj

This is a question for those of you who have had the privilege to join brand new DLC maps in PVE. What was the early experience like? Is it correct that nothing is allowed to be uploaded for a period of time? Do you have to start from scratch when you enter these new maps? How do you feel you best used your time? By rushing to a spot and staking a claim? What did you do? What would you have done differently? Do you have any advice for players who will be going through this for the first time soon?

10 hours ago, mattj said:

This is a question for those of you who have had the privilege to join brand new DLC maps in PVE.

Ark is no longer under active development: There is almost zero chance of any new DLC's free or otherwise being released. And any of the stuff already released has been out there for a long time already, and (I speak under correction here) I think that even the latest map no longer has transfer restrictions.

19 hours ago, mattj said:

This is a question for those of you who have had the privilege to join brand new DLC maps in PVE. What was the early experience like? Is it correct that nothing is allowed to be uploaded for a period of time? Do you have to start from scratch when you enter these new maps? How do you feel you best used your time? By rushing to a spot and staking a claim? What did you do? What would you have done differently? Do you have any advice for players who will be going through this for the first time soon?

yeah, you could not download dino's or stuffs from other servers for a period of time....But as far as I know, you can now transfer to all maps now. There isn't any restrictions in place. 
As for if people start from scratch, I think a lot of people like to transfer their character, but as for any goodies, typically not. But when you can build a fabricator in a few hours, it kinda feels like you don't even need those resources......at first anyways. As for tames however, thats where the problems are. You "could" bring over a few basic tames, anky argy, ect. But thats a slippery slope. Ontop of that, you may try to forgo getting any new tames such as a magma Saur or a desmodus, and thats kinda a bummer as you can never really get to enjoy what the new map has to offer.

As for advice, Id suggest to be willing to adjust where you are going to set up camp. My first time online, and I had to pass up on 3 different spots before I settled down

12 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

Ark is no longer under active development: There is almost zero chance of any new DLC's free or otherwise being released. And any of the stuff already released has been out there for a long time already, and (I speak under correction here) I think that even the latest map no longer has transfer restrictions.

Sept. 9th I believe. Not yet, but almost.

There's no point to the question.  There is no free map in the pipeline as far as the public knows.  Considering they do a 3 month lockdown on a free map, I don't see any room for a managed release up to the end of the year.  They wouldn't drop one on Christmas because that would extend the amount of resources they would need for Ark 2 managing cleanup again on Ark 1.  

OP basically knows what will happen simply by describing possible scenarios in the opening statement.   Its all of the above with everyone with a different viewpoint going at it.  Some will have examined the map locations and picked out spots, and others will go in fresh with no preconceived ideas about where to settle down.   The one thing most people would forget is, the map would be maxed out on player counts for days, everyone is competition even in PVE.  You aren't just competing for space and resources, you are competing for permission to get on the server.  Everyone is your enemy, and few people will want to help you.  The few that do are the ones who won't survive the longest.

11 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

The one thing most people would forget is, the map would be maxed out on player counts for days, everyone is competition even in PVE.

Exactly this! I had a dip at official when Valguero released (PVP & PVE). And the insanity of that finally "broke" me from official. Since then I only play on my own servers. I did not even try for the next maps that were released. Probably sad - but I been at ark a really long time and after all those years of playing - I no longer have the desire nor the time to fight for a "spot" on official.

I guess OP is more likely talking about Starting  at Fjordur as it still got the new map restrictions.

My best advice is to stay away from any new map. As exciting a new map could be, the issues are way worse IMO.

- Too much lag due to servers load and all exploiters being there.
- Pillars everywhere and people building over important resourcers. No room for traps, so taming goes wild mode, thank WC we have Harpoon nets that makes it tolerable
- Be ready to deal with trolls, as everyone are there so they are.

The map will still be there later, dont rush it unless exploring the new map is the only thing left for you to do in the game.

@mattj, its an interesting question for sure. I play on a private server for so long that I cannot speak specifically out of experience on full blown servers anymore. The last one was Scorched Earth I think, the others were experienced on private only. Maybe I dropped in on Aberration, can't recall.

For me, its important to restart, so I do my best not to take my overpowered stuff with me, I do move my character around, so I am not releveling every time. I might also take my strongest Rex with me, but it varies depending how badly I want to experience a map. Some maps are more "meh", for those I do bring in some basic stuff for a forward base with Tek to move exclusive creatures out of, others are fun to build and explore on. The last two maps had their ups and downs, but I really enjoyed Ragnarok and Crystal Isles, second one is one of my favorites now... It was not always so.

In my experience, the less I bring with me to a new map, the better, but it also adds a bit more meaning if I have some project in mind. 

I wish you a lot of fun there! Share some stories later too!

Cheers!

On 8/28/2022 at 11:06 PM, DirkInSA said:

We are getting our first dlc map on our console this month… You guys have experienced what happens when new maps are dropped. We have not, until this month.

I guess the main question is, what do you guys mean by 3 month lock down? No dinos or items are allowed to be transferred in to brand new maps? But you can transfer in your existing character? Can you bring things OUT of the new server during the lockdown?

5 hours ago, mattj said:

Thank you very much for that confirmation. This is all new to us on our console.

With that in mind, basic rules will get you through most the official DLC maps.    If you haven't seen the maps before and have no clue what is what or where is where,  spawn everywhere.  Look around.  Farm , farm farm and pillar spots all over.  You can let those areas go after you find a spot that suits your growth needs and has few neighbors.  People are lazy and use the presence of other player bases to reduce the difficulty of moving into an area.   Establish a perimeter around your space as soon as you chose that space.   Building the walls and buildings themselves can come later.  

Early on this part is important if there is a lot of players on a server all at once.   Having a few players in a tribe before going there would be ideal.  Making friends on a server is risky, better to bring them with you.  If you pick a really good spot, know that others will be working to find the limits of your boundaries ASAP.    It doesn't hurt to have little areas all over the place.  You can let them go when you don't need them, or use them as teleporter sites later on.  

Archived