my guy keeps drifting forwards after I let off the w key

sjskdjkfa

3 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

is there some new auto run key i may be accidentally pressing or somethin? he even did it after i fast traveled, spawn in the bed then with out pressing anything he's just booking it through the base till he hit a wall...

I don't think there's anything new, I looked through the key mappings in both the game client and the .ini file and did not find anything that indicates a new autorun key.

My first thought would be to pop the W key off of your keyboard and clean it, there is probably a builup of dust and gunk that are causing it to stick sometimes.

1) Under the input.ini there are only three entries that have anything to do with "auto" or "run", none of them are for auto running. You can change the run from being a keypress to being a toggle, but for either of those you still have to press the W key for either of them to matter.

...\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\input.ini

ActionMappings=(ActionName="ToggleAutoChat",Key=Backslash,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Run",Key=LeftShift,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="RunToggle",Key=RightShift,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)

2) Under the "CleanSourceConfigs\input.ni" there are also a bunch of "ManualAutoCompleteList=" entries but none of them have anything to do with movement or running.

..\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\Config\CleanSourceConfigs

AutoCompleteMapPaths=Content/Maps
ManualAutoCompleteList=(Command="Exit",Desc="Exit (Exits the game)")
ManualAutoCompleteList=(Command="DebugCreatePlayer 1",Desc=)
ManualAutoCompleteList=(Command="StartFPSChart",Desc="StartFPSChart (after that use EndFPSChart)")

...and a lot more like these.

11 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

My first thought would be to pop the W key off of your keyboard and clean it, there is probably a builup of dust and gunk that are causing it to stick sometimes.

This - or try a different keyboard ....

I have seen (and it still happens at odd times) on a Wyvern that just kind of crests over a hill, and then you let go of "W" (to look around or whatever) but the Wyvern keeps on going forward. I have not really put this to "test", but I almost think it moves without using stamina, and it does not stop so long as you leave all the keys alone.

But I have never seen such a thing on any other mount or on foot.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a few instances this type of thing occurs, there's a couple different fixes.

1 fix - pull open inventory, does the character stop, if so, do they keep moving afterwards? If they keep moving, do you have a cryopod or some item in hand at that moment?  If so, drop that item.  

If you are unable to do anything hit the H key, what is the upload timer at when it happens?  If the timer is anywhere near 0:00 or 15:20 either end of the spectrum means the continued running is because the game was saving and it will fix itself after save, if it doesn't - pull open inventory or check hand for equipped item and drop it.  It should stop after that.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I experience this the more I'm confident it's not a hardware issue or inadvertently hitting some new auto run key. Rather it feels like a server client interaction desyncing issue. It's like the rubber banding but without the snap back. One of the last times it happened my guy spawned in a near ocean base and booked it into the ocean, kept waiting for the server to wake up and snap him up onto the platform and then a meg was on me, and I died, but I'd just fast traveled there so I was like gear less and didn't need to worry about the body - so thankful for that.... Yet lol - Just waiting for this to cause me to lose some gear now. :)

2 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

The more I experience this the more I'm confident it's not a hardware issue or inadvertently hitting some new auto run key. Rather it feels like a server client interaction desyncing issue. It's like the rubber banding but without the snap back. One of the last times it happened my guy spawned in a near ocean base and booked it into the ocean, kept waiting for the server to wake up and snap him up onto the platform and then a meg was on me, and I died, but I'd just fast traveled there so I was like gear less and didn't need to worry about the body - so thankful for that.... Yet lol - Just waiting for this to cause me to lose some gear now. :)

we notice the same thing when the server begins saving.  If you are moving at that exact moment you will be stuck moving until the save finishes.   If you are experiencing it outside of those times, there's something else going on.  It could be the server wants to crash and so you get those types of pauses in the middle of the 15min timer between game saves.  That's usually a sign the server wants to crash or is under extreme burden.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this ongoing issue where, i will be moving forward using the W key and if i let go, it keeps moving forward ... nothign I do short of pulling up my inventory , will stop it , or waiting like 10-20 seconds... 
I also have the issue where if im flying, and I pull up the inventory, close the inventory and try to start moving forward again, it will not move forward with the W key for 10-20 seconds again... I can move backwards with the S key just fine, its just the W key that has been giving me issues ..
It is not my keyboard as my W key works all the time outside of ARK

Ideas?

9 hours ago, DannyTom said:

i reverified my files and it found 4 it has to re-download .. ill report if that fixed it here ...image.png.b635111f70b0843e950a0039cc4228d0.png

if it was only 2 files then thats the 2 ini files that get changed for your settings after install.  4 files means 2 files were really messed up and you really had a problem with them.

Archived