Beginner server rates should be perma 2x official

sjskdjkfa

Suggestion

3 months is enough time to do a loooot I've learned after restarting as a newb this last wipe cycle, yet I convinced a friend to come back to the game, had some events, had some help here and there from other tribes. I honestly don't think I could hack out a respectable play through if I were solo with the amount I'm able to commit to the game. That's why in my opinion the wipe cycle should be doubled or the rates boosted.

10 replies to this server topic

On 8/24/2022 at 6:07 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

The game is not and has never been balanced around playing solo.

Good point, I mostly brought it up because this was my first real gage of the situation. Most other times I just derped out on the beach tamed one thing, built a smithy and was like yea I played ark again... lol. But now I've really tried playing there.

On 8/24/2022 at 6:11 PM, Pipinghot said:

1) That's not what beginner servers are for.

2) That is what single player is for.

I think you're assuming a lot, but I am not sure what... I guess my motives for playing on beginner servers again, and the nature of wc keeping them around. Consider that there is in fact a interval (3months right now), and there is a rate (official rates). Since those exist it's legitimate to debate what they were set at. What if wild card set them to wipe every day, what if every year? Does trying out the game entail a entire play through is the crux of it I guess. If all you're supposed to do is build a thatch hut and then maybe a few starter dinos then move on then perhaps they should decrease the wipe interval..

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Good point, I mostly brought it up because this was my first real gage of the situation. Most other times I just derped out on the beach tamed one thing, built a smithy and was like yea I played ark again... lol. But now I've really tried playing there.

I play solo. You can do everything it just takes a lot of damn time. I used to play with some buddies, but they all ended up bouncing. Tired of all the bugs 😆

It just occured to me that the rate change would potentially be exploitable, since it's connected to the main cluster - as you could go there and if it's constantly 2x maybe do some farming you couldn't on your main. or tame somethin, but that'd require using your lvl <30 anky or what ever and also dealing with transfers. hmmmph. I'd obviously preffer to use my tek stryder on main even on one x vs 2x with derp anky. prty sure the ts would be better, yet someone with a lower lvl anky on a main and comparing that to there lower lvl anky on beginner, anyways different rates on connected cluster is prob never gonna happen.

2 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

I think you're assuming a lot, but I am not sure what...

I'm pretty much doing the opposite of assuming. If someone says, "I'm tired" it's not an assumption to conclude that they want to rest.

"Beginners = for beginners". That's not really an assumption, it's a description of the intended function for the server that's built into the name.

"Single-player" = solo. Again not an assumption, it's right there in the name.

I guess my motives for playing on beginner servers again, and the nature of wc keeping them around. Consider that there is in fact a interval (3months right now), and there is a rate (official rates). Since those exist it's legitimate to debate what they were set at.

Agreed, it's legitimate to have that debate, which is what we're doing now.

As you pointed out, WC set the rates on the beginner servers to Official rates and they reset those servers regularly. Those aren't accidents, they're both deliberate decisions WC made for how they want to manage the beginner servers and those choices reinforce the fact that they're named, and intended to be used by, beginners. It seems pretty obvious that WC does not intend for the beginner servers to be used to complete a respectable playthrough solo.

What if wild card set them to wipe every day, what if every year?

Those are interesting hypothetical questions, and if those things actually happened then it would change the nature of the debate, but they're not happening. WC has chosen to use official rates and they've chosen to reset the servers on the current schedule, and when you combine those two decisions with the fact they're explicitly called beginner servers then it sends a very strong message that WC intends for those servers to be used for beginner players to get used to the game and not for a complete solo playthrough.

Does trying out the game entail a entire play through is the crux of it I guess.

If you intend "entire play through" to mean doing boss fights on Alpha then it seems pretty obvious the answer is "No", WC does not intend trying out the game on the beginner servers to include competing the end-game on a map. But of course that makes sense on a beginner server, it would be a little bit silly to expect to be able to complete an entire play through on a beginner server in any game,

If all you're supposed to do is build a thatch hut and then maybe a few starter dinos then move on then perhaps they should decrease the wipe interval..

You're offering a false choice based on artificial limitations. There are more options and scenarios available, just not the one specific scenario that you want.

1) In the course of three months a tribe can easily work up to the metal tier, building thatch, wood, stone & metal bases in the process, as well as taming quite a few dino's.

2) In the course of three months even a solo player can work up to the metal tier, building thatch, wood, stone & metal bases in the process, as well as taming quite a few dino's. Obviously this would be harder for a solo player than for a tribe, but depending on their schedule it's definitely possible. (And for people who have limited game time it would be a whole lot easier for a solo player to do this in single-player mode, which is specifically intended for solo game play.)

3) In the course of three months a beginner player can learn a lot about the game. Getting practice and experience doing all of the various activities in ARK. If the intended function of the beginner servers is to allow new players to gain experience with the game before they start playing on the other clusters, then a 3-month wipe time is a pretty darned good amount of time.

4) If someone wants to, it's even possible to practice breeding to learn how it works. Obviously it's not going to be possible to breed up a set of raiding rexes and do alpha boss fights but, again, that's not what a beginner server is for. But if someone just wanted to use a beginner server to breed dodos so they can learn how the breeding mechanics work then a 3-month wipe time works pretty well.

You can do almost every scenario on a beginner server except do a complete playthrough, building a thatch hut and few starter dino's is only scratching the surface of what people can do on those servers.

15 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

3 months is enough time to do a loooot I've learned after restarting as a newb this last wipe cycle, yet I convinced a friend to come back to the game, had some events, had some help here and there from other tribes. I honestly don't think I could hack out a respectable play through if I were solo with the amount I'm able to commit to the game. That's why in my opinion the wipe cycle should be doubled or the rates boosted.

While I understand why you might want this (and you certainly have a right to your personal preferences) but if you were the game publisher you wouldn't do it.

1) That's not what beginner servers are for.

2) That is what single player is for.

I started playing ark 4 months ago. I play on a beginner server 898 pve  

currently I’m level 46 in pretty much a solo tribe.

i have a stone home but I can build metal. 
I have 30 rexes 

60 gigas 

1 quetzel

20+ mosas to include a breeded mosa

and 20+ tusos

ive beat broodmother twice 

I think three months isn’t enough I’m still trying to fish for giga saddles

Archived