Fearful of Changes

Logan96

Huge fan of the souls games here. I've played all of them multiple times and am blown away the level design...yet I do not want Ark to play anything like a souls game. In a souls game the environment is waiting for you. The designers understand the avenues you approach from and plan out how to make each section as challenging as it can be without overdoing it. 

The souls games are a fine bourbon that you sip and savor on rare occasions to appreciate the high level of detail. You know not to over embellish, or you will lose appreciation and it will eventually lose its charm that makes it so unique. Then we have your everyday drinker...the guy that you crack open after a hard days work, or on the weekend nights with friends, yet it never gets old. As much as you appreciate the fine details of the bourbon, I'm willing to bet that your best memories are the ones where you are holding the casual drinker...and this is where Ark truly shines.

Like the time when that bronto derped its way over the walls of your base and shook everything on the screen. 

Or the relaxing days of logging in and not really doing anything except chatting with tribe mates and hanging out around the base (which is enjoyed best in first person btw...ok moving on).

Alternatively, there's nights of getting swarmed by a mob of dinos on your favorite tame or being chased by angry wyverns after stealing their egg. 

And let's not forget how damn beautiful the sunsets can be.

So yeah, that's ark! My big derpy, casual, stress inducing dinosuar game that has had me coming back for years, without getting bored. It has some clunky spots sure, but that's what a sequel is for. While It's not as impressive as a fine bourbon, I don't really want it to be one and to be honest, I doubt many bourbon drinkers actually enjoy it more than a good home craft brew. 

So if you guys want to refine combat a little bit, add some dodges and fancy moves then sure, that sounds pretty cool. And if you want to make it third person to help smooth out the combat then that's ok i guess. But please please please do not try to be this ultra fine polished combat focused game, because that is not Ark. Ark has its own thing going on and it does it damn well.  

I guess they need to release gameplay footage ASAP or fear of the unknow will keep growing and growing and more posts like this will pop up.

They should have shown the new systems and mechancis before talking about their plans of removing stuff. In the way they did it, all we  got is the feeling that we just lost something over the promise of a change in the playstyle that few asked for. I'm pretty sure that if we were teased with the good stuff showing how it fits/needs third person gameplay our community would be much more open to it.

Anyway we still got Ark 1 and could just stay there if 2 its not that great, right? Let the new be really new. I'm pretty sure modders could keep Ark1 alive for a very long term.

Just hope it really feels like a new and evolved game instead of giant total conversion for the base game like Atlas and  Dark & Light felt like.

Archived