My character is..forever desynced?

MayonnaisePlease

Official pve player here. A lot of the time recently when I login, I have to teleport to another bed as I can't interact with anything anywhere. That usually fixes it.

This time around, I logged into which should have been my bed located at my base.

I logged into me being in the middle of space (I play gen 2.) I can't get myself to die, no player structures pop up anywhere on the map so my bed is nonexistent

Uhh.. at this point what do I do? lol

16 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

Official pve player here. A lot of the time recently when I login, I have to teleport to another bed as I can't interact with anything anywhere. That usually fixes it.

This time around, I logged into which should have been my bed located at my base.

I logged into me being in the middle of space (I play gen 2.) I can't get myself to die, no player structures pop up anywhere on the map so my bed is nonexistent

There was this glitch that had to do with beds some time ago. Maybe 2 years ago now I dont know. But appearantly its still there...
It has been a long time since I was last subjected to this glitch.
I think its the same glitch. If so, you are in fact laying in your bed, as you should be, but you are a "ghost" of yourself somewhere else on the map, thats why you cant interact with things, as they are too far away for you to use.

The only fix for this bug was to relog and hope you would load the game in as it should be...
Maybe another player in your tribe can destroy the bed and maybe even kill you, so you can respawn or relog without having to deal with the bed glitch.

If you cant do any of those, maybe contact a GM, send in a ticket, or stay online for a few hours, till your character will starve. Since you are laying in bed this will take a really long time, but if you are desperate, and need all means to get it fixed, in the end you got to do what you got to do...

• Volunteer Moderator

This usually happens when the server loaded a save where your character was driving a Skiff into space.

This will resolve itself when someone (or your desynced self) actually render your character. At such point your camera should slide right back where it is supposed to be.

2 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

This will resolve itself when someone (or your desynced self) actually render your character. At such point your camera should slide right back where it is supposed to be.

I was about to say to this guy that maybe If i would render his base, before he logs in, he would not have this problem, but I was unsure it would help.
If that really helps, Im willing to give this guy a hand by going to that server and his base...
If you read this... Just ask me... I would do that...

18 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

This usually happens when the server loaded a save where your character was driving a Skiff into space.

Thinking...
Are you aware of the fact he is talking about the  "bed glitch"
I think you might misplace a few facts?
He says he logged out when laying in a bed, not driving a skiff...
Might it be so that the server crashed after logged out, and the save was on the moment he was still driving his skiff?
So that in this case, he might think he is subjected to the bed glitch but is actually desynced while riding the skiff?

• Volunteer Moderator
18 minutes ago, SunsetErosion said:

I was about to say to this guy that maybe If i would render his base

He would actually need to be online at the time for his controlled to be resync.

1 minute ago, SunsetErosion said:

Might it be so that the server crashed after logged out, and the save was on the moment he was still driving his skiff?

That is the most frequent way it happened to me in the past so yes, this is what I suspect happened. Though, now that I think about it, I also remember it happening when logging off on a bed that was placed on the back of the Skiff -- not sure if crashes were involved. I also remember some instances where I was taking radiation damage at the desynced location in the space (that I believe is the world origin aka 50/50).

In any case, having someone actually render his character while he is online should resync his controller.

7 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

That is the most frequent way it happened to me in the past so yes, this is what I suspect happened. Though, now that I think about it, I also remember it happening when logging off on a bed that was placed on the back of the Skiff -- not sure if crashes were involved. I also remember some instances where I was taking radiation damage at the desynced location in the space (that I believe is the world origin aka 50/50).

In any case, having someone actually render his character while he is online should resync his controller.

Yeah, Ive experienced the bed glitch a lot of times, some years ago, but my ghost was never far away from the bed. Not enough times to exclude the possibility to be desynced somewhere else on the map though. Your skiff glitching desyncing sounds plausible enough.

Guess we gonne have to hear it from the guy himself. Hope this guy can find answers...

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, SunsetErosion said:

Yeah, Ive experienced the bed glitch a lot of times, some years ago, but my ghost was never far away from the bed.

Yeah, that is a different kind of desync. Which I believe happens when you login during a world save and your character loads before the bed causing your client to think it can move freely but the server reject any interactions that are not in range of the bed because it knows your real location. Similar desync happens when you pick up a ladder you are currently attached to as reported there:

10 minutes ago, SunsetErosion said:

Your skiff glitching desyncing sounds plausible enough.

There are multiple issues related to rollback to a point where you were driving a skiff. If it rollback in the space, it usually results into the desync reported in this thread. If it is anywhere above land, your skiff will be stuck in a mode that prevents it from landing. Usually, it can be forcefully landed by unfreezing a Giga on it or having an enemy tribe Tek Punch it (has to be direct contact, will not work if there is foundations placed on it). If it is anywhere above water, it will result into an infinite bouncing up and down when you attempt to drive it until the next reboot.

Hey everyone I just wanted to return with an update, an optimistic one at that!

100% it was caused by the ladder bug. I slept in my skiff and logged out, only to wake in the middle of space. After many attempts of trying to kill my character, I gave up for the night. Next day I figured "huh, now what if I hop on another account with a new survivor and run over to where I originally logged out?"

So I did that. I flew over with a different account, punched my main character for a few seconds (it's pve so nothing happened lol)

I relogged onto my main and there I am! In my bunk bed, I got up and all was fine. Renamed my beds and it hasn't happened since. :) Thanks for the tips all. Just had to rerender my character after all

2 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

I relogged onto my main and there I am! In my bunk bed, I got up and all was fine. Renamed my beds and it hasn't happened since. :) Thanks for the tips all. Just had to rerender my character after all

Confused what actually was the bug now, but I guess thats because I never experienced it...
But glad its fixed now...

• Volunteer Moderator
5 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

Confused what actually was the bug now, but I guess thats because I never experienced it...
But glad its fixed now...

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be the same exact desync that occasionally happens on beds placed on the ground but, since the bed is placed on a dynamic platform, its parent origin cannot be resolved and is set to a NULL vector causing your client to offset its location from the root of the world instead of the platform itself.

Archived