any love for the "junker" dinos?

Stewbawl

we were talking on my server about Dinos we just don't use anymore because they are overshadowed by more useful tames.  

we're at the stage on our server where we are doing boss fights and unlocking tek engrams.  there are a few Dinos we use for gathering some materials, and a few we breed for boss fights.  but some dinos we used to use with some frequency sit in cryofridges and haven't seen the light of day in quite a while.  

i miss roaming around on my Parasaurs, and my Equus.  one of my favorite memories is a trek i made from the middle ish of the Valguero map near where the rockarrots spawn in the wild to the green obolisk and farther north in order to Find a Yutyrranus and build a trap to tame it.  i went on horseback with a Parasaur carrying the structure pieces and a pack of 4 wolves for defense.  shenanigans were had and i sort of made it back in once piece. 

now it seems every trip is uneventful because i fly somewhere on an argentavis or a wyvern.  there seems to be a significant transformation of the game when you transition from being landbound to flying.  not bad, but different.  sometimes i miss the days of not having a flyer.

anyone else have Dinos they don't use anymore because they're overshadowed by other stuff?

3 hours ago, Stewbawl said:

anyone else have Dinos they don't use anymore because they're overshadowed by other stuff?

The first raptor pack was a throw back for me. took until lost island before I got another one early game. But then again I wanted that "fresh spawn" feeling again, vs Im already lvl 900 and am just gonna build a fabricator in the first hour of starting a new map.

I still remember getting excited about hunting down and taming raptors, finding parasaurs with cool colours, and being over joyed taming my first pteradon. I’m about level 105 but I refuse to get too much more advanced than metal tools, the gps, and cryopods because I don’t want the fun to get sucked out of the game by mutated gigas and massive tek bases lol.

Maewings, striders, shadowmanes,  Skkifs, harpoon nets.... Yeah. Funny how maewings are a way to bypass their own no fly rules on some maps. Gen2 trew ark's balance and their earlier efforts with TLCs on the trash can , from utility to combat. Now everything is just an step on your way until you get to those folks. Hoping for a more horizontal balance for ark2.

• 2 weeks later...

Baryonyx for me. Since I always enjoyed setting up shop in cramped locations near large water sources I always enjoyed having a tame that could smoothly transition between water and land but didn't handle like boxcars on two wheels like the spino pre-two leg tlc. If I wanted a quick jaunt somewhere with water but needed speed more than muscle the bary was my go to. Once the shadowmane dropped it became a lot harder to justify using baryonyx because they were simply outclassed in everything from mobility to damage. Even their fairly unique ability to stun was outclassed since the shadowmane could do it over a wider range to hit spaced out targets. This on top of being able to eat more than just fish simply made my once trusty water steed an outdated creature. Still use em though. God himself could come down from the heavens and say quit it and I'd tell him to knuckle up and get ready to throw hands.

Archived