Single player, default settings, swimming at near to exceeding lightspeed.

Sharcy

So, as my post states, me and my friend are playing on his non dedicated world (Because you know, all the pillars and... clutter and other people and stuff) is not appealing to us at this time.

We are playing as legitimately as physically possible and I've noted a few things that seem to break with no fix in sight, such as the ability to swim at unbelievably high rates of speed, rates that make a speed bred sarco look slow as molasses. All I did was put A SINGLE POINT into my oxygen stat and it went from "Normal ark swim speed" to "Oh my god I'm accelerating forever" speed.

This also affects tames! me and my friend discovered that if you aren't holding anything, your mount will freeze in water and look wherever you are looking (Assuming you're holding forward), if you equip anything into your hand, your mount will suddenly zip forwards at like ten million miles per hour.

why this is, I have no idea, we've tried defaulting the settings and nothing helped.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:21 AM, Sharcy said:

We are playing as legitimately as physically possible

In my experience, the single player session doesn't respawn resources in an authentic way.   So, it kind of taints doing things legitimately.  And as mentioned, other players are tethered to the host.

I suggest getting a second machine and setting up your own private server.  I did and it's so much better.  good luck.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, parazight said:

In my experience, the single player session doesn't respawn resources in an authentic way.

It is designed in a way that encourage players to leave their beach and explore the map. Basically, you need to get out of your current tile for resources to be repopulated. More details:

On 4/22/2021 at 4:35 AM, invincibleqc said:

As you probably know (or not), the map is basically a 5x5 grid of sublevels when it comes to foliages, non-permanent static meshes, etc. For example, something like this:

GAZYw5Z.jpg

Keep in mind that this is for example only, and that this map is first of all not precisely scaled nor aligned and that the inclusion volumes themselves aren't symmetrical/can overlap with each others, etc. However, it is good enough for demonstration here.

Alright, each cell usually contains at least 2 sublevels (can be more for special effects, cave entrances, etc. but those are irrelevant here); near and far. Although it can differs, near usually includes rocks, metals, small trees, branches, etc. and far large trees, non-permanent static meshes, etc. Everything that is included into far, will render around players up to 50k units and everything into near up to 20k units. Something like the following, where the red dot is you, the green circle is near, and the blue circle is far:

1b6WvRr.jpg

As you can see, your near range (green circle) covers at least D5 and E5 (as well as E4 and possibly D4 but that is irrelevant here) at the location you re-logged. But what does that means? That means that as long as it covers E5, your metal node that is included into the near range will not be marked for repopulation and that its interval won't start ticking until it actually does. Now, by going slightly farther like I did in the video above -- somewhere around there:

YRakYic.jpg

My near range went out of E5, meaning that everything that is included into near from that cell will be flagged for repopulation when I come back. However, since my far range didn't and still overlap that cell, everything that is marked far will not. If I were to go to green obelisk somewhere around there:

RJQAlkl.jpg

Everything included into near, as well as into far, from E5 would be flagged for repopulation when I come back. Let's put that to the test (skip to 02:50 for the near respawns, and 07:40 for the far ones):

As you can see, everything included in the near range respawned when my green circle went out of E5 and then everything from far did when my blue circle did went out.

8 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

It is designed in a way that encourage players to leave their beach and explore the map. Basically, you need to get out of your current tile for resources to be repopulated

There's no way that it was designed to encourage players to do anything.   That's just some developer/marketing bullpoop.  The single player experience is not a perfect emulation of a dedicated server.   It's a workaround that sorta mimics a real server, hence the player tethering, and all the problems.  The game wasn't developed with the single player experience as a focus.  

I had played single player session, with default settings, for a thousand hours.  I was covering the entire map, looking for any obsidian I could find.  Basically, firearms were not an option because of the lack of metal.  Natural progression was very much stifled.  The artifact in the snow cave would not spawn.  This was/is a known issue.  Resources were not respawning properly.  This is so obvious once you start doing the exact same thing on a dedicated server.  

IMO, the OP should seriously consider a dedicated server, especially if he's playing with a friend.  The game is old.  Obtaining a rig to host a dedicated server, on a LAN, is not expensive.  You don't even need a video card.  Get something with Windows10, a decent i5 processor, and a cheap SSD, and the OP will love it.  It's really easy to set up, too.

Archived