Fishing

R34jeromegtr

Hi I’m on an a beginner server on PS. The only way to get good saddles, ie Rex quetz giga mosa etc, is to fish for it. However because I’m on this server undersea battles for app or ram rods consist of taking my squids and mosas to battle to the death with alphas while I sit on the sidelines watching. 

is there anyway to grab primitive bp’s with a primitive rod? Building a navy takes a lot of resources just for a chance to go fishing. 
or is there a better way to farm rods without leaving the server 

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Fishing
2 hours ago, R34jeromegtr said:

Hi I’m on an a beginner server on PS. The only way to get good saddles, ie Rex quetz giga mosa etc, is to fish for it. However because I’m on this server undersea battles for app or ram rods consist of taking my squids and mosas to battle to the death with alphas while I sit on the sidelines watching. is there anyway to grab primitive bp’s with a primitive rod? Building a navy takes a lot of resources just for a chance to go fishing. 
or is there a better way to farm rods without leaving the server 

Fishing is one method, and the odds of a primative pole giveing you perfect ascendent loot is unlikely. However there are others. You can go through the swamp cave and farm the loot drops there. Same with the hard snow cave and the hard ocean cave.
If those don't work, the next idea is to try and farm the deep sea loot crates. Gotta be fast tho as only two spawn from time to time and once looted, they will disappear for an hour ish I think?

The last method is to try a different server. Yeah, thats an ugly method compared to sticking it out, but it is a legit thing.

=====================================================

I just noticed you said you was on a beginning server. I got some bad news, due to the level cap of the beginning servers. I would truly advise you to try a different server or maybe single player. If your in it for the PvP, you may need a mental health check up XD But hey, you do you. :) As for PvE, Id suggest a legacy server, and don't fret about joining the most popular one. Just fine one that works well with your internet, feels friendly, and try to do whatever you can.
I personally was on a legacy PvE server for awhile and it defiantly was a wonderful experience. Can't say nothing wrong about it.
But if Im gonna be honest, the solo play through was the best in my opinion. The whole world was mine, it was make it or break it vs make it or borrow someone else's hard work and time, and while SP has its bugs, the game just felt more real to me than my time spent online.

9 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Fishing is one method, and the odds of a primative pole giveing you perfect ascendent loot is unlikely. However there are others. You can go through the swamp cave and farm the loot drops there. Same with the hard snow cave and the hard ocean cave.
If those don't work, the next idea is to try and farm the deep sea loot crates. Gotta be fast tho as only two spawn from time to time and once looted, they will disappear for an hour ish I think?

The last method is to try a different server. Yeah, thats an ugly method compared to sticking it out, but it is a legit thing.

=====================================================

I just noticed you said you was on a beginning server. I got some bad news, due to the level cap of the beginning servers. I would truly advise you to try a different server or maybe single player. If your in it for the PvP, you may need a mental health check up XD But hey, you do you. :) As for PvE, Id suggest a legacy server, and don't fret about joining the most popular one. Just fine one that works well with your internet, feels friendly, and try to do whatever you can.
I personally was on a legacy PvE server for awhile and it defiantly was a wonderful experience. Can't say nothing wrong about it.
But if Im gonna be honest, the solo play through was the best in my opinion. The whole world was mine, it was make it or break it vs make it or borrow someone else's hard work and time, and while SP has its bugs, the game just felt more real to me than my time spent online.

Thanks for the info I’m actually a noob only been in since the game was free on ps plus. 
I’m definitely on a pve server I play with my wife but became friends with some of the people on my server now I just hook people up with saddles. Don’t need ascendant gear/saddles just primitive. Yeah that level 44 is terrible I’m at 46 with some alpha killing. I lucked out and made off with an argy and mosa saddle primitive of course with an apprentice rod. Just wondering if I could get ‘better’ results with a prim rod. 

FYI - don't think that a beginner server is actually easier.  Its actually - way way more difficult than a regular server.   The only thing that is easy on a beginner server is finding land to claim.  Even then , there are people now actively living on them instead of regular servers for the challenge of existing there.

Saddles for rexes and other high level tames will be next to impossible for normal people to get on beginner servers..  You can't level up high enough on a beginner server to make anything like carno, argent, rex.  They would all require blueprints which is hobbled by the chance of getting them.   They aren't on many loot tables that you can access on a beginner server because of the level cap.   Fishing is probably the only way to for sure get something, and an alpha tuso or mosa is hard enough to deal with on a regular server so the fishing rod to achieve this is next to impossible to get.  Anyone who can do that is a pro or just has too much time on their hands.

Mind you , this is a lot of work for a rex saddle.  To give you an idea how hard it is to get outside of a beginner server... Last night, I did drop hunting on gentwo and picked up 2 124 rex saddles on the first drop of the night.   So..... If you are just starting out, move on to regular servers .  Go back to beginner ones when you can appreciate how difficult it really is there.

FOr me personally, I like beginner servers because on events with colors - I can get level 1 tames with event colors on them. 

2 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

FYI - don't think that a beginner server is actually easier.  Its actually - way way more difficult than a regular server.   The only thing that is easy on a beginner server is finding land to claim.  Even then , there are people now actively living on them instead of regular servers for the challenge of existing there.

Saddles for rexes and other high level tames will be next to impossible for normal people to get on beginner servers..  You can't level up high enough on a beginner server to make anything like carno, argent, rex.  They would all require blueprints which is hobbled by the chance of getting them.   They aren't on many loot tables that you can access on a beginner server because of the level cap.   Fishing is probably the only way to for sure get something, and an alpha tuso or mosa is hard enough to deal with on a regular server so the fishing rod to achieve this is next to impossible to get.  Anyone who can do that is a pro or just has too much time on their hands.

Mind you , this is a lot of work for a rex saddle.  To give you an idea how hard it is to get outside of a beginner server... Last night, I did drop hunting on gentwo and picked up 2 124 rex saddles on the first drop of the night.   So..... If you are just starting out, move on to regular servers .  Go back to beginner ones when you can appreciate how difficult it really is there.

FOr me personally, I like beginner servers because on events with colors - I can get level 1 tames with event colors on them. 

Thanks for your input I think that’s what I like about beginner is the open land. 

so can primitive fishing rods net me more primitive saddles? 

22 minutes ago, R34jeromegtr said:

Thanks for your input I think that’s what I like about beginner is the open land. 

so can primitive fishing rods net me more primitive saddles? 

I think someone did a test w/ different quality fishing rods

You could always try building a trap in deep water. Lure a level 5 or lower alpha tuso into a trap, and then get a few people to work on killing it w/ crossbows together.  

31 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

I think someone did a test w/ different quality fishing rods

You could always try building a trap in deep water. Lure a level 5 or lower alpha tuso into a trap, and then get a few people to work on killing it w/ crossbows together.  

Awesome! I’ll have to YouTube then

Yeah I’ve killed four in the last two days and I lost a bunch of tusos and mosas in the process. I killed a level 30 alpha Tuso with two tusos and a mosa while a level 2 killed 8  of my tusos and a mosa. It’s so weird. 

11 hours ago, R34jeromegtr said:

Thanks for the info I’m actually a noob only been in since the game was free on ps plus. 
I’m definitely on a pve server I play with my wife but became friends with some of the people on my server now I just hook people up with saddles. Don’t need ascendant gear/saddles just primitive. Yeah that level 44 is terrible I’m at 46 with some alpha killing. I lucked out and made off with an argy and mosa saddle primitive of course with an apprentice rod. Just wondering if I could get ‘better’ results with a prim rod. 

Its "VERY" rare to get anything of high value. And typically when you do, its something you don't really want. Like a pachy saddle or a kapro. 
About the best way you could do it is to use bee honey. According to the wiki, this will allow you to catch the larger fishies that other baits will not let you catch.
Also, I will suggest fishing at the river to swamp inlet by the redwoods located about 67, 33 on your map. Iv noticed this little channel on SP mode typically has a dozen or so fish and if any of them are big fish, they can't swim away.

On 8/17/2022 at 1:37 AM, wizard03 said:

Its "VERY" rare to get anything of high value. And typically when you do, its something you don't really want. Like a pachy saddle or a kapro. 
About the best way you could do it is to use bee honey. According to the wiki, this will allow you to catch the larger fishies that other baits will not let you catch.
Also, I will suggest fishing at the river to swamp inlet by the redwoods located about 67, 33 on your map. Iv noticed this little channel on SP mode typically has a dozen or so fish and if any of them are big fish, they can't swim away.

thank you! That spot does look bad ass. I’ll let you know what I get from there 

4 hours ago, R34jeromegtr said:

thank you! That spot does look bad ass. I’ll let you know what I get from there 

Good luck.....If you could catch the fish in the hard ice cave, Id say that is the best, but your gonna need fur, all points in fortitude, a torch on your person, and maybe a torch on a mount. Cause if the bears and wolves don't get you, the cold will. lol

17 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Good luck.....If you could catch the fish in the hard ice cave, Id say that is the best, but your gonna need fur, all points in fortitude, a torch on your person, and maybe a torch on a mount. Cause if the bears and wolves don't get you, the cold will. lol

I just did that cave last weekend for the first time and it was an absolute DILO show.

20 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

I just did that cave last weekend for the first time and it was an absolute DILO show.

My go to for running that cave is a yuty.....the knock back is about the only thing to be able to chew your way through it, if it wasn't for that, I unno how you would do it other than with crossbows and grappling hooks and doing spiderman stuff all the way there.

I tried my high level, imprinted, ascendent saddle thylo once.......literally just 28 HP left after dealing with everything at the very front of the cave......just the very beginning!!!! I cryo podded her up and got back outa there cause there was no way I was going to be able to deal with anything else, and I got lucky as there was no purlovia's to knock me off.

5 hours ago, wizard03 said:

My go to for running that cave is a yuty.....the knock back is about the only thing to be able to chew your way through it, if it wasn't for that, I unno how you would do it other than with crossbows and grappling hooks and doing spiderman stuff all the way there.

I tried my high level, imprinted, ascendent saddle thylo once.......literally just 28 HP left after dealing with everything at the very front of the cave......just the very beginning!!!! I cryo podded her up and got back outa there cause there was no way I was going to be able to deal with anything else, and I got lucky as there was no purlovia's to knock me off.

A top stat shadow mane male absolutely destroys everything in there.  I learned that by the end of my adventure.

i took that hint when I finally reached the end,  someone has been leaving one there in the last room to collect the artifact from sleeping bags left in there.

21 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

A top stat shadow mane male absolutely destroys everything in there.  I learned that by the end of my adventure. i took that hint when I finally reached the end,  someone has been leaving one there in the last room to collect the artifact from sleeping bags left in there.

Would make sense......top teir shadow manes with their natural armor being some of the best armor in the game is a little easier to obtain vs crate hunting. And they are stronger and tankier than thylo's. But it would require a trip to gen 2, and I don't think transfers are allowed "into" beginner servers.

4 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Would make sense......top teir shadow manes with their natural armor being some of the best armor in the game is a little easier to obtain vs crate hunting. And they are stronger and tankier than thylo's. But it would require a trip to gen 2, and I don't think transfers are allowed "into" beginner servers.

DOH! I totally forgot the lean of the conversation.  Yes, on a beginner server, this cave would be an absolute nightmare.  You would be needing so much weaponry, and using choke points , shields, meat shields ...

I guess there is something left to do in ark , now if i can find 2 other suckers to run in there with me.

So many related questions...

1) Do you need a crafting skill speced guy to get better fishing poles from the fishing bp once you manage to find one?

2) So... the guy in that video was pulling out enormous fish, said he was using a mod, was hard to understand but I think he said something about it being relevant to official.. yet video was super old, has fishing been nerfed again since vid? how relevant is his info is the jist of what i'm getting at?

3) What about getting fishing bp from drops? I've never found one myself, perhaps that got nerfed? I've also done pretty minimal caving and I think I remember someone saying you have to get em from cave crates, so another question - if that then is the level of cave crate even openable on a beginner server?

4) Op just what dinos are in your navy? I'm still slowly building my navy so take my advice with a grain of salt cause I def have not the experince yet, but I'm thinking of using a spread of dinos, I've so far tamed some basilos and baryonys and megs, hoping to get some bigger and smaller maybe a mosa and several more megs and then some mantas though I don't really think the mantas will do much. Anyways my theory is with a spread of various sizes and speeds smaller faster elements of my navy will flank the alpha while bigger tankier elements will keep it occupied in the front. ohhh turtles... okay im of to tame some carbos.. gl.

Checked meg saddle engram while I was online a min ago and I think it said 47? What I noted is the saddle should be available if someone on the server is willing to put in the time to lvl a chibi I think 3 times? Also megs get a pack bonus. Scratch turtles I'm gonna tame some more megs and see if I can beg for some saddles lol. A couple other dinos occurred to me, there's sarcos, not sure if they have a oxy stat? Spinos not sure what the saddle situation is there, prob very hard to find on beginner if I had to guess. Dolphins are hella fast and hella weak... saddles should be easily available... not sure about pack bonus, but I'd imagine they are very low tier as for melee output. Not for the first time I'm wishing melee was less opaque. (a low tier dino with say 200% melee vs say a giga with 200% melee do very different melee outputs = opaque)

I haven’t found a bp for rod. 

My navy consist of mosas and squids I have one bred mosa at 88% imprinting. But on my server I can whack a lvl 30 alpha Tuso with 2 mosas and 2 squids while I can solo an alpha Tuso with my mosa. 
this weekend I killed 5 alpha tusos and 7 alpha mosas. 

I’ve been fishing as well. Got ramshackle mosa saddle, prim mosa saddle, scuba set, gas mask, compound bow. I’m still chasing the 3% drop rate according to the wiki

2 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

1) Do you need a crafting skill speced guy to get better fishing poles from the fishing bp once you manage to find one?

2) So... the guy in that video was pulling out enormous fish, said he was using a mod, was hard to understand but I think he said something about it being relevant to official.. yet video was super old, has fishing been nerfed again since vid? how relevant is his info is the jist of what i'm getting at?

3) What about getting fishing bp from drops? I've never found one myself, perhaps that got nerfed? I've also done pretty minimal caving and I think I remember someone saying you have to get em from cave crates, so another question - if that then is the level of cave crate even openable on a beginner server?

4) Op just what dinos are in your navy? I'm still slowly building my navy so take my advice with a grain of salt cause I def have not the experince yet, but I'm thinking of using a spread of dinos, I've so far tamed some basilos and baryonys and megs, hoping to get some bigger and smaller maybe a mosa and several more megs and then some mantas though I don't really think the mantas will do much. Anyways my theory is with a spread of various sizes and speeds smaller faster elements of my navy will flank the alpha while bigger tankier elements will keep it occupied in the front. ohhh turtles... okay im of to tame some carbos.. gl.

1) I don't think there is any blueprints for them.  I've never seen one.

2) you look not at their level #, but their size.  A fish that is under 1.0 is small fry.  You want to be catching 2.0+ sized fish.  Coelcanth is also not as good as a salmon would be.

3) again, i wouldn't know if blueprints are possible.  I have never seen one.

3 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

I don't think there is any blueprints for them.

Curious. Perhaps there used to be and they got removed during the fishing nerf? Cause I've definitely seen posts talking about them. E.g. people have said how you can only craft 3 rods per bp.
Couple more questions occur:

Can baryonyx stun either of the fishing pole giving alphas?

Is either alpha weaker than the other? If not we should be going for the one that always drops pole, if so depends on how much weaker/ how probable the one drops poles.

10 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

DOH! I totally forgot the lean of the conversation.  Yes, on a beginner server, this cave would be an absolute nightmare.  You would be needing so much weaponry, and using choke points , shields, meat shields ...

I guess there is something left to do in ark , now if i can find 2 other suckers to run in there with me.

Its a shame Im on xbox. I always felt like there was a hardcore mode to be had here. It requires you to actually get most if not all you "better than caveman" engrams from crate drops.

Like you can have stone tools, that housing, cloth armor, ect. ect. But after that you GOT to get a smithy from a supply drop. You GOT to get metal tools or BP's from supply drops, you GOT to get saddles from supply drops....Suddenly all of the junks stuff you get out of a supply drop becomes really important. XD

10 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

1 Its highly recomended to have someone who has the most levels, to take a mind wipe, and then put every single last point into crafting skill to get the absolutely best chance of getting a better fishing pole out of the crafting bonus they apply to crafting a blueprint. And this is so for all blueprints. Fishing pole, saddles, even tools. The higher the crafting skill, the more likely you will get a better result.

2. I do not know what video you are talking about, but the best fish to catch, the ones with the most and best BP's you want, comes from very large fish. When you catch them, they look like you just pulled a great white out of a tiny creek XD

3 I have never gotten a BP from a supply drop. But then again, I don't think I have ever gotten a BP before. I have only gotten premade from killing alpha tuso or alpha mosas As for any cave crates, maybe a green one in the cave of the hunter? Its nothing to really go crazy over. Just basic cave man stuff of higher quality.

4 Easiest and tankiest tame is the carbo, but they can still be grabbies by tuso's. Id suggest basils and breeding for the imprint......Basils get some of the craziests health bumps when you level up their health. Iv personally had imprinted and leveled basils at 50k health.....if you can't ride them, Id still suggest a small army of them as they can take quite a pounding before going belly up. However instead of sending them all in at once, you might wanna change tactics and send them in one at a time.
Yeah, its going to take longer, but 5 basils going in one at a time is going to have nearly 200k health for a single tuso to deal with.

8 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Curious. Perhaps there used to be and they got removed during the fishing nerf? Cause I've definitely seen posts talking about them. E.g. people have said how you can only craft 3 rods per bp.

There were fishing rod bp's in the past (you could even get them from drops) but those were removed long ago.

Archived