Little Things That Bug You

DeHammer

Ark is a fantastic game, and I've thoroughly enjoyed playing (and still am). I say this because I don't want the intention of this post misunderstood. It's not a 'rant' about the game. But there are a few little things that are just plain irritating or don't make any sense. Here's one of mine.... what are yours?

Fliers that get stuck in the air because they got weighed down. I mean, I think everyone can agree it makes no sense from a perspective of realism to completely defy the general laws of physics. Especially when the solution would be simple... drain their stamina and have them fall to the ground, or forced to land. 

What's something that bugs you? 

One of the caves on Scorched has a red drop that is below the instant death line of the death pit it is sticking out of.  It looks like you should be able to grappling hook to it, but it will kill you without any sort of warning.  

In general, I am not a fan of instant death pits in general, especially with lag & issues with creature pathfinding AI. Just a poor gameplay mechanic. 

3 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Ark is a fantastic game, and I've thoroughly enjoyed playing (and still am). I say this because I don't want the intention of this post misunderstood. It's not a 'rant' about the game. But there are a few little things that are just plain irritating or don't make any sense. Here's one of mine.... what are yours? Fliers that get stuck in the air because they got weighed down. I mean, I think everyone can agree it makes no sense from a perspective of realism to completely defy the general laws of physics. Especially when the solution would be simple... drain their stamina and have them fall to the ground, or forced to land.  What's something that bugs you? 

Split screen tiny text.....Like Im on a 60in tv, and Im sitting withing 4 ft of it, yet I still got to stand up and see if the BP I got does 100 damage or 10

• 2 weeks later...

Random flee mechanics on the aggressive dinos and alphas. I get it's a part of the game if their torpor is up/they can't reach you or whatever but having to chase down an alpha raptor or alpha carno running full sprint in the opposite direction is always mildly annoying. Just get back here and fight me lol!

No language translator.  Or wish servers had language restrictions so we can server up with players that speak our lingo.

Threatening to discontinue Ark 1 or stop services to Ark 1 when Ark 2 release.  --- Esp the Holiday Events; Especially the colored dinos  ---

Steam thinking we are in game when a crash happens requiring player to log completely out of Steam or it shows your character is still in game, making you unable to join server.  Along the same lines would like offline protection immediately if crash.  I shouldn't have to loose all my pets just because of a ragdoll physics error associated with Unreal 4.

Crashing in swamps specifically.  Always the swamp.  Always the swamp next to the green obi TheIsland Map.

Should be restrictions placed on players having more than 100 dinos out not cryo'd over a month's time.

The varying decay timers.  I wish all items in the game had the exact same decay timer so we could build with whatever constructions we wanted not be forced to go to the highest constructions so our base does not decay.

Along those lines the damage done to bases is to low.  If any dino hits my constructions they should be damaged but not destroyed.  We are to safe from ordinary dinos.  Once you get your base made nothing challenges you.  But Titans are annoying.  I want to be challenged by something I can actually fight.  Titan is to OP.

Dead bodies getting stuck in the world after reset is annoying.  I would love to see the dead rise after being still for three days.  Also bored of drowning newbs.  Could we light them on fire plz?  Would be awesome if they turned to zombies we could fight!

Players leaving their pets on your base.  If someone has not logged into the game for week their pets should expire.  Force players to use cryopods or stay active.  Not leave their pets all over for months on end unrendered untouched they've quit ark moved on but we're still dealing with their trial test of the game.

Spiked fences on pve.  I can't get anywhere with my dinos on follow everyone leaving spiked walls all over the place.  I have no solution for this just saying it's annoying.

Being forced to use traps to catch dinos.  Again they get left behind then my pets on follow get stuck in other players traps.  The decay timers for everything should be the same no matter what material it is made from and players should only get one week until they have to render.

Empty servers on old official maps.  Could we merge a few of these?  Not enough server on new dlc populated maps.  

Beginner servers getting ignored like an unwanted step child.  Okay so Wildcard decided not to do wipes anymore (or forgot us).  Fine.  But try to communicate with the Beginner servers about it.  Let us know you have stopped doing wipes.  Don't wipe every time I come in these forums and mention you forgot us, again.  Just STOP FORGETTING US.

The scary feeling that Ark 1 is going to die and I'll loose everything I've worked for.  I want to download all my pets into single player and be assured that the single player version of Ark 1 will never be discontinued.

The RNG (random num generator) - I swear that the seed for the generator it is based on the Hour (not sec or millisecond) of the server start time. And no I cannot substantiate this - or even quote stats to add to my argument - its just a feeling I got from anecdotal evidence (like killing a server and restoring a backup of the map and restarting) ..........

On 8/16/2022 at 11:26 AM, wizard03 said:

Split screen tiny text.....Like Im on a 60in tv, and Im sitting withing 4 ft of it, yet I still got to stand up and see if the BP I got does 100 damage or 10

I always have that problem, bc my 10 year-old brother insists on playing with me, so I can never sit on the couch like a regular human being :|

Probably Dino aggro mechanics. If I'm strolling around on a large enough mount like a shadowmane or fenrir then realistically nothing but the largest carnivores should want to beef with me. And yet without fail a raptor will spot me, go "cowabunga it is" and run over to get reduced to a red mist. Now this wouldn't be so confusing were it not for the fact that said raptor will take one look at me on a dinopithecus and keep strolling on by. Why is the massive teleporting venomous thorn covered murder cat less scary to you than the above average sized funky monkey, mister raptor? While on the subject why are pegos so diddlydamn aggro on everything? You're the size of a corgi at best, stop trying to pilfer things from the guy riding a tyrannosaurus or wyvern. 

On 8/27/2022 at 2:25 PM, CorgisaurusRex said:

Random flee mechanics on the aggressive dinos and alphas. I get it's a part of the game if their torpor is up/they can't reach you or whatever but having to chase down an alpha raptor or alpha carno running full sprint in the opposite direction is always mildly annoying. Just get back here and fight me lol!

Don't chase, as long as the alpha doesn't run itself into a spot where it can't get back to you (off a cliff) it will run away and then turn around and come right back to you after a few seconds.

15 hours ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

Probably Dino aggro mechanics. If I'm strolling around on a large enough mount like a shadowmane or fenrir then realistically nothing but the largest carnivores should want to beef with me. And yet without fail a raptor will spot me, go "cowabunga it is" and run over to get reduced to a red mist. Now this wouldn't be so confusing were it not for the fact that said raptor will take one look at me on a dinopithecus and keep strolling on by. Why is the massive teleporting venomous thorn covered murder cat less scary to you than the above average sized funky monkey, mister raptor? While on the subject why are pegos so diddlydamn aggro on everything? You're the size of a corgi at best, stop trying to pilfer things from the guy riding a tyrannosaurus or wyvern. 

This bothers me for Amargasaurs, Managarmr, Mammoths, Quetzals, Basilisks, and any ocean creatures too. It's just annoying that these big and powerful creatures get targeted by Dilos and Raptors. 

13 hours ago, Qwertymine said:

and any ocean creatures too.

Oh don't even get me started with the ocean aggro. You have to use a basilosaurus if you want to move more than ten feet without an eel or Cnidaria deciding that your existence is a sin they can no longer tolerate and stun locking you into oblivion even if you're riding on the back of a mosasaur that eclipses their size to the point of hilarity. For that matter the chain stunning is intolerable. If there's to be a cooldown for each creature's stun then maybe don't have massive groups of them or lengthen the time so that by the time the last one zaps you the first is ready to do it again. That or give the larger oceanic life a bit of resistance that gets worn down before they get the taser treatment.

Archived