Fjordur is no fun

wildfirenz

My friend and I have been long time players had have even on a 6 month break, but decided to jump back into an official PvP server for the new map.

Three nights and a level 60 character in we're calling it quits. Why? It's absolutely insane you can eat 15 cooked meat and still be hungry 5 minutes later. You log off and next day all meat is spoiled and you spend the first 10 minutes killing and cooking. Then you've got a 30 meat, time to go adventure and look around... For 10 minutes until your character is hungry again. Berries don't seem to do anything (they were never good food sources, but you can eat like 200 and the food level barely moves)

Have I been on private servers too long? Have they changed the survival dynamics on all ark? It's fjordur just set to these dumb levels to make it hard? (for not fun reasons)

Other things that felt "off"

- collected like 30 plants for narcoberries. Got hundreds of berries, but not a single narco.   

- character always cold. Yes I get that's a thing on this map... But I have a player with 26 fortitude, a furr hat and the rest leather (better hypothermic than flak or chitin) and I was cold at 0°C. Seems... Wrong.

I was enjoying looking around and coming across new sights and creatures, but these things and other stuff just totally ruins it for me.

Anyone else get me?

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

The games never been easier.

The survival factor is gone after about 30 mins.

So you're telling me your character isn't always leaking hunger like a sieve? Or that you're so hard core you leave a trail of campfires everywhere and just don't care that it's a really boring dynamic?

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, wildfirenz said:

So you're telling me your character isn't always leaking hunger like a sieve? Or that you're so hard core you leave a trail of campfires everywhere and just don't care that it's a really boring dynamic?

I've never even needed a campfire to keep up with food anymore. So many options now.

11 hours ago, wildfirenz said:

Share your wisdom on how I keep from being constantly hungry, especially if I want to adventure around the map and not be tied to a base location

Custom recipes. You can make recipes where you'll gain health and food in higher numbers so that you level out a bit, plus extended spoil timer.

Also, more fur until your fortitude is higher. One piece isn't going to cut it for you yet, especially if you're not using higher tier pieces.

If you're not on the northern continent, move there, or Asgard. I don't think vanaheim is super cold either but not sure. 

On 8/15/2022 at 10:24 PM, wildfirenz said:

Share your wisdom on how I keep from being constantly hungry, especially if I want to adventure around the map and not be tied to a base location

This is a game centered around taming dinosaurs. Food drain while riding a mount is very slow.

You're not supposed to be running around on foot nonstop.

On 8/15/2022 at 8:43 PM, wildfirenz said:

- character always cold. Yes I get that's a thing on this map... But I have a player with 26 fortitude, a furr hat and the rest leather (better hypothermic than flak or chitin) and I was cold at 0°C. Seems... Wrong.

You think that 1 fur hat would be enough protection against nearly sub zero temperatures? You're lucky your just cold, and not freezing to death.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's a difficult map to get established in. And, running around while cold WILL use up food quickly.

Here is a short guide to getting established on this map;

To get started, select one of the easy locations in Vardiland or Vannaland, but not Vannaland North as you will quickly freeze to death if the wolves don’t get you first.

1. Quickly level up to 40 fortitude along with weight.

2. Get into hide armor as quick as possible.

3. Build a shelter before nightfall. Plan to stay put by a fire as you will freeze to death without fur armor.

4. In several of the spawn locations, you will find ship wreaks. The crates and barrels will yield metal tools, scrap metal, cooked and spoiled meat.

5. Some of the smaller islands are free of predators larger then the spitters. You may want to craft a canoe and paddle to them to establish a base before you are wiped out by the numerous alpha creatures found on this map.

6. The Andrewsarchus, while very dangerous, is easily tamed using honey which can be found in stone formations and harvested with a pick. Just sneak up from behind, toss it a honey, and when it starts to eat it, get on it’s back to ride it. Just be aware that you will be taming it by playing a mini game while riding. Watch the red Rage Meter and hop off before it gets full or you will be thrown off and killed. Continue the feeding and riding until tamed. Like the Equuis, you can ride them without the armored minigun saddle that offers protection from radiation. They are also excellent swimmers.

7. The Desmodus Draculus, or giant vampire bat, can be found in many of the caves. Once you have the saddle, tame a low level one using blood packs. Once you have a tamed one, they will get you all of the blood packs and spoiled meat that you will ever need. A taming helper elixir can be crafted in their saddle from 200 blood packs. It will give a one time 30% boost to taming any knockout tame. Desmodus is one of the best fliers you could ever tame. With their ability to go sideways, they can even outmaneuver a wyvern’s ranged attack. It is the only flier that you can use in caves and in the other three realms without being dismounted. They can also let you see other creatures in infrared and go invisible in the dark.

8. The Fordhawk is one of the most frustrating passive tames you will ever get. They tend to fly around your head waiting for you to kill something for them to eat. Once tamed and riding on your shoulder, they will prove their worth by bringing all of your stuff back to you should you die or use the Fast Travel ability of a sleeping bag or bed. They can also detect dead and injured creatures.

9. A Fenrir Wolf is only obtainable by killing the end game boss. You cannot breed them.

10. Added to the map is the ability to teleport around the map and realms from any location. Holding the R key will bring up the teleport wheel. But be careful. There was a bug with using R that could dismount your Fordhawk at the worst possible moment such as when using R to reload your shotgun.

11. Runes, marked by a short red beacon, act as Explorer Notes. They will give you a rune stone and an XP boost. Ride your tame over them to both benefit from the XP boost.

12. Veggies can be found in some of the abandoned villages.

13. Many of the abandoned structures will not need foundations if you want to build in them.

14. Do gather from all of the drops. It is the only way that you are going to find the high level blueprints or high end fur gear, then tame an Otter before visiting Jotunheim so you won't freeze to death in less then a minute.

Survive that first night and you should be well on your way to conquering this map.

Enjoy.

Archived