Why are aggressive Dino’s running away?

Yutyrannusfan14

Run mechanic since awhile back when wild creatures get stuck on something not being able to move they will flee when they aggro something after. Was so much easier to tame in the past as you just go above a cliff to tame big creatures and they will stay aggro to the player, but now after awhile of being stuck they'll run away

also happens when low hp

5 hours ago, Yutyrannusfan14 said:

Occasionally, when a wild normally aggressive Dino Aggros me, instead of attacking it will just run off in the opposite direction?? Is anyone else experiencing this? It happens rarely but I’ve seen it. 

Yes, it's been like that for quite a long time now (like a couple of years, at least).

13 hours ago, Yutyrannusfan14 said:

Occasionally, when a wild normally aggressive Dino Aggros me, instead of attacking it will just run off in the opposite direction?? Is anyone else experiencing this? It happens rarely but I’ve seen it. 

Happens to me quite a bit too.....its weird.

But typically its the alphas that are most problematic as they are designed to "run away" if they can't get to you. Say your on a cliff shooting down, or useing a trap.
Kinda a smart code to prevent farming with just a simple pillar and ceiling tile

1 hour ago, Yutyrannusfan14 said:

It has been mostly dilos, but I just chased them down and killed them before they could come back around lol

I think the intention is them running away is for increasing the danger for you the player.  Them running away every time increases the chances they trigger others to go after you with them.  Packs are more deadly than singles.

I think it depends on level. Low level dinos are more likely to run. It's been mentioned they may decide something like "frack rocks and cliffs are preventing me from getting to this guy", or "hp low, retreeeeeeeat?!?", but I have wondered if they are also doing a calculation based on their damage output, your health your melee, etc, basically they are like can I even kill this guy?

On 8/13/2022 at 2:22 AM, wizard03 said:

Happens to me quite a bit too.....its weird.

But typically its the alphas that are most problematic as they are designed to "run away" if they can't get to you. Say your on a cliff shooting down, or useing a trap.
Kinda a smart code to prevent farming with just a simple pillar and ceiling tile

Yea but it back fires a bit because if you can trap an alpha in just the right way they never stop running and you can hop in the cage and chase em around with a sword and easily farm em. I mean once the alpha is in a cage you can farm it a number of ways and it's not really relevant that this mechanic kicks in, but when I realized that it did kick in I was able to save about a thousand cross bow bolts that one day. :)

8 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Yea but it back fires a bit because if you can trap an alpha in just the right way they never stop running and you can hop in the cage and chase em around with a sword and easily farm em. I mean once the alpha is in a cage you can farm it a number of ways and it's not really relevant that this mechanic kicks in, but when I realized that it did kick in I was able to save about a thousand cross bow bolts that one day. :)

typically I just use an argentavis. High melee and a good chunk of health, and Ill let the alpha "nip" me from time to time, just to keep em from running off. Otherwise I can kill raptors and carno's with the knock back and being up a hill to further enhance the knock back.

13 hours ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

If memory serves dilos are supposed to be a coin toss in that regard. Sometimes they try to wallop you, sometimes they see you and decide "oh hell naw" until your back is turned

If I'm under equipped/ half naked runnin down the beach it's kinda a coin toss for me if I'll attack the dilo, so that's kinda ironic lol.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:43 AM, CosmicSkeleton said:

If memory serves dilos are supposed to be a coin toss in that regard. Sometimes they try to wallop you, sometimes they see you and decide "oh hell naw" until your back is turned

Interesting! Whenever I attack them with my mount, they’ll either attack or run. I’ve only tested this with my rex so far and it seems pretty random 

Archived