Confused about the Mining Drill.

johnm81

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, johnm81 said:

So basically the mining drill was changed in patch 338.23 so that it can harvest underwater resources. But when I use the drill and jump in water to harvest it can't be equipped or used. Is there some trick to using the mining drill underwater?

Thanks.

There is no mention of that in the official patch notes:

On 11/30/2018 at 12:02 AM, StudioWildcard said:

v338.23 - 10/15/2021

Balance
Blood Stalker

• Reduced piercing damage from 85% to 65%.
  • Players grappled now get a 20 second immunity buff from being webbed by the Bloodstalker again
  • No longer unequips player’s melee weapon when webbed

Wyverns

• Reduced Wyvern HP gained per level by approximately 20%
  • Reduced armour penetration on Lightning Wyvern beam attack by approx 20%
  • Buffed Fire Wyvern right-click attack by approx 30%
  • Prevented Void Wyvern from performing a right-click attack unless mounted by a rider
  • Adjusted Wyvern base drag weight to match Crystal Wyverns so that they behave similarly against items that take this into consideration, such as the Net Ammo. (Therefore Fire, Lightning, and Poison Wyverns can now be netted).

Noglin 

• Now targetable by Plant X
  • Takes reduced damage from Plant X when attached to a player

Net Ammo

• Increased durability usage on Harpoon Gun for net ammo specifically. Cost per net fired increased by approx 250%
  • Increased weight of weight ammo from 0.2 to 2.0

Mammoth

• Prevented being dismounted from creature when you are buffed by the Mammoth
  • Mammoth war drummer now gets 40% damage mitigation whilst drumming

Shadowmane

• Reduced the range the stun attack can target horizontally by 20% 
  • Increased the holding space bar jump distance by 20%
  • Reduced how many targets the Shadowmane can chain stun when right-click is held to 7 targets from 15 targets
  • Increased cooldown of teleport attack from 4.5 seconds to 15 seconds and each target added increases the cooldown by 2 seconds rather than 1 second - Increased the length of the immunity buff after a player has been stunned by the Shadowmane from 30 seconds to 50 seconds.
  • Reduced passive creature armour from 124 to 80 and reduces its armour gained per level by 35%

Global Stun Immunity Buff

The following dismounts will now respect an overriding dismount immunity buff when the effect is created by any of the following creatures and items:

• Void Wyvern
  • Shadowmane
  • Netgun
  • Flash bang (Plant Z Grenade)

Miscellaneous Balance

• Prevented the Exo mek from filling turrets that have recently fired
  • Increased Megalosaurus damage with the night time buff by approx 25%
  • Increased Tek Turret HP by 100%

Quality of Life and Misc.

• Increased slots on the Industrial Grinder from 60 to 120
  • Expanded the Tek Cloner register range by 3x
  • Reduced Tek Surveillance Console Stack Size from 100 to 5
  • Display a HUD whilst holding H with tek Glove equipped displaying player location and upload timer
  • Increased Magmasaur’s smelting output by 100%
  • Enabled auto-harvest on Ankylosaurus
  • Enabled breeding on Rockdrakes
  • Enabled breeding on Achatina ;)
  • Fixed some exploits
  • Fixed a bug where TEK Stryders and MEKs would not regain health in stasis
  • Fixed a bug where MEK modules would lose durability when released from cryopod
  • Two new admin commands: cheat drainwater <number> and cheat drainfood <number>
  • Fixed a bug where the Dedicated Storage Box would ignore stack modifiers in server config files
  • Fixed a bug where caused Plant Z to no longer heal dinos
  • Fixed a bug where Soap would remove textures from some structures
  • Fixed a bug where Cosmetics on the Shadowmane would not retain their colour

20 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

Well then that's another inaccurate bit of info from fandom...

https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Mining_Drill_(Genesis:_Part_1)

At the change log. 

The wiki is technically correct, although the information is somewhat confusing. You can't equip a mining drill while you're swimming but...

If you're close enough to the resource you want to mine the beam will penetrate the surface of water to mine the underwater resource. For example, if you're standing in shallow water you can harvest submerged stones on the beach or submerged silica pearls in a shallow stream.

I also tested using "cheat fly" in single player, when you use the fly command your character can go underwater without converting to swimming, which means that even though you're underwater your character can keep the mining drill equipped. I was able to harvest stone, oil rock and silica pearls in the ocean using the drill in while using the fly command.

My guess is that before patch 338.23 both of these tests would have failed, I'm betting that the beam from the drill wouldn't harvest resources below the surface before that patch.

Archived