Server in DMZ + Windows Firewall Off, unable for players to join

tankirules

It's running on a dedicated windows machine. https://www.ipvoid.com/udp-port-scan/
port scan shows UDP 27015, 7777, 7778 all open. It's in a DMZ with firewall off, so anything should be able to reach it. however, trying to join the server does not work. It does not show up in session list. Locally, I can only join through LAN tab - doing "open ip" in singleplayer gets me "invalid authentication token" error. Players trying to join with "+conenct ip:port" in steam launch parameters get "unable to query server". I am literally at my limits. Please, could the ARK gods help me.

Some people say they can't get Ark to work through a DMZ...  Try using port-forwarding instead. 

If players are on Steam, have them try Windows Key + R   (which gives the Run dialog box) and enter    steam://connect/ip:port
The EPIC version of Ark requires that people start in single player and enter    open ip:port   in the in-game command line.

I've tried port forwarding as well. All players are steam players, but using steam://connect or using launch parameter for ark "+connect IP" simply causes "steam could not query server info for invite". However, since the firewall is off and the ports seem to be open, I can't tell what is going on. It sucks that there is no logs that can help me diagnose this issue, like for example "couldnt connect to steam master server" or something like that

You're not the first to experience this problem.  Some people have reported that their ISP doesn't allow certain configurations.

Are you using any mods?  I had a problem recently where my server appeared to startup correctly, but a mod was corrupt and was preventing the server from appearing on the internet.  I had to delete the mod files from the server, then validate the server installation and allow it to install the mods again.

Other people have reported that some port numbers don't work for them, so had to use other port numbers.
If something on your server is already listening to 27015, 7777, and/or 7778 then Ark won't be able to pick up those data packets.  

As an experiment, stop your Ark server then scan your port numbers again.

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you have NAT loopback (hairpin NAT) on your router / firewall, you will not get to join the server with its public IP from your LAN - I struggled with this for days! The only way I could see if my server was OK to the outside world was by waiting a good while to see that the server came up on battlemetrics.

With the quirks of my LAN I have had more success by not using the published ports to run on
ARKPORT0A=7789:7790
ARKPORT0B=26900
ARKPORT1A=7791:7792
ARKPORT1B=26901
ARKPORT2A=7793:7794
ARKPORT2B=26902
ARKPORT3A=7795:7796
ARKPORT3B=26903
ARKPORT4A=7797:7798
ARKPORT4B=26904
ARKPORT5A=7799:7800
ARKPORT5B=26905
So ?QueryPort= from 26900 through 26905 and ?Port= from 7789 + 7790 through 7799 + 7800

Another thought - can your DMZ machine access the web correctly? Normally on a client machine behind a NAT firewall there is a generic rule that masquerades outgoing traffic so that when the reply to that traffic comes back, it can be correctly routed to the machine where the traffic originated. Perhaps that is busted inside of your DMZ?

As commented above - I had zero success with a DMZ, and had to do port forwarding from wan to ArkServer for the relevant ports.

Archived