Barrel roll totally sucks as a means to get from point a to b!

sjskdjkfa

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, sjskdjkfa said:

I just barrel rolled with my lvl 35 ptera going from main land to herb and was lucky to get to one of the little islets. I kinda doubt it even increases speed. But even if it does it takes out way to much stam for what it boosts in speed. All in all it's only a melee thing not a transport thing, imop.

Not sure if trolling....

The roll is an attack, not a travel method.

2 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

I just barrel rolled with my lvl 35 ptera going from main land to herb and was lucky to get to one of the little islets. I kinda doubt it even increases speed. But even if it does it takes out way to much stam for what it boosts in speed. All in all it's only a melee thing not a transport thing, imop.

Its a recommended tactic from the past in stealing wyvern nest eggs.  That's usually done with bred pteras with stamina pumped really high.   

One thing you learn early on is how much points matter with low level tames.  If there's one great way to learn  that, its play on a beginner server. Try to get a level 1 Ptera back to base after taming one there. 

BUt no, a level 35 ptera is only for searching for a level 150.  It should not be used to barrel roll across the divide to herbivore island.   I'd suggest , pump up your character's oxygen to 300 and you probably can outswim any predators.

9 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

All in all it's only a melee thing not a transport thing, imop.

True, it's not supposed to be a transport thing.

The purpose for a barrel roll is that it allows pteranodons to attack targets that you would never want to attack by normal mouse clicking, and alone makes it a very powerful maneuver. Using nothing but barrel rolls (combined with good tactics and some patience) pteranodons can kill Alpha Raptors. Pretty powerful stuff.

8 hours ago, AllOfTheAllos said:

Barrel roll, as others said, is an attack. It's for harming the enemy. It can be used for a short burst of speed on a good stam ptera. Like, if you get a high level with decent wild stam and further level it until, like 1000 - go ahead, barrel roll. But a 35? Just fly.

I did some tests in single player. Spawned one in with over 6k stam just over kill. :D

Here's my data captued with a margin of error of several seconds (cause it's just me somewhat carless with a stopwatch):

ptera tests

slow fly
5980stam left
-6525=545stam used
red ob to green dist?
took 9:28 but flighted about for several seconds tryin to decide shorter path lol, call it 9:20 maybe

fast fly
5130-=1395 = 2.5x as much
3:16 =~ 3x less

spamming b roll

3222-=3300 =2.3xfst fly, = 6x slow fly
2:32-= ~30+20=50ish sec faster than fast fly
9.5min/2.5min = ~ 4x faster than slow fly

So at least it's true it will get u there a little faster. But it uses disproportionately more stam to do that.

• Volunteer Moderator
18 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

So at least it's true it will get u there a little faster. But it uses disproportionately more stam to do that.

As designed. Pretty sure they didn't have 6k stam pteras in mind when they released them.

Man I miss the days of leveling them in speed and crossing the island in seconds.

5 hours ago, Prikolyasik said:

Ptera is pretty useless right now, while wildcard added crystal wyverns!

Its a starter mount.  It wasn't intended to be an end all be all flyer.   After you move on to higher level stuff, you shed them quite fast.   They are still really handy to use when a new map opens up, you are back to starting fresh and therefore they become useful again for a week. 2 weeks tops.

On 8/6/2022 at 12:18 AM, sjskdjkfa said:

Same here. Iv killed an alpha raptor using it with guerilla warfare tactics, but as for a speed boost, it only helps to get you up to speed from take off. Not to get across the map as fast as possible because you will just be waiting for stam to regen all the time.

On 8/6/2022 at 9:27 AM, Pipinghot said:

Whoever said that was either pulling your leg or just honestly wrong.

As grumpy said back in the day it was a viable means of getting distance from a threat, namely a pissed off wyvern or a player in an aerial dogfight. Pre whistle to land era it was also something that could be used when you were low on stamina and needed a little push to land somewhere safe as opposed to ending up in magma or the ocean (had the latter happen to me on the center once trying to get to the volcano spin saved me). It's not supposed to be a stable transport method like OP assumed it would be, especially not on such a low level animal. Even if it were an imprinted one from a stamina mutation line with a pure stamina pump it would be painfully inefficient at best and mind numbingly stupid at worst to use a pteranodon like that.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:12 AM, CosmicSkeleton said:

Even if it were an imprinted one from a stamina mutation line with a pure stamina pump it would be painfully inefficient at best and mind numbingly stupid at worst to use a pteranodon like that.

i agree with everyone here that it wasn't intended to be used as part of general travel, but i disagree with this statement.  

a friend on my server (private valguero server, no speed changes made) found a pteronadon that after tame had a stamina of 44.  he loves those things like crazy.  he bumps there stamina up to about 1k, which takes about 27 points.  he puts the rest in health and weight carry.  he is able to fast fly and barrel roll about half way across the map before he has to rest for stamina.  i am only SLIGHTLY faster on an ice wyvern fast flying.  he doesn't like the bulky size or poor turn radius of a wyvern, and doesn't need the weight carry or horrible slow speed of an argentavis.  i got one of the children from his breeding exploits and yes, it's fast but i want different things from my flying mount.

in the end, i guess all i'm saying is...   it works for him and it's not that crazy.

Archived