Caged Wild Snails disappearing

Vlad2701

I wondered if anyone could enlighten me?

Single player....
The Island.....

Made a 3x3 area and put fencing around it.
Used an Argy to pick up a few snails and drop them in here.
They were wild and I thought I would tame them eventually, but they made a bit of paste every minute.

Went on an obsidian run to the mountains with 3 Argy and when I came back the Snails had just VANISHED.

SOooo - I thought - well, perhaps a wild dino had got in and decimated them - as they were still wild I would not get a notice.

Therefore - I put a 4x3 platform some 3 stories up - with a ramp and a door and dropped 5 more in.....
Went with a raft and a Baryonx to get some Crystal in the local cave and upon coming back - all 5 snails had VANISHED.

Soooo - what's the score - do they starve to death in a few hours...  - it was only between 05:00 in the morning and like 09:00 (Game time)
Or is there something more sinister going on?

All I wanted was for my hard earned snails to stay a little longer until I got to taming them - maybe a few days whilst I organised some cake.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Vlad2701 said:

Made a 3x3 area and put fencing around it.

Used an Argy to pick up a few snails and drop them in here.

In addition to what Grumpy said, I would also ask how far did you carry them to bring them back to your base?

When dinos get too far away from their spawn point the game will despawn them. This is how, for example, the game controls the population of wild dinos around mountains. There are many spawn points on mountains, hills and even some valleys where the animals will start moving their way downhill after they spawn. Once the animal gets far enough away from the spawn point the game will "kill" them (despawn them) and spawn in a new animal back at the spawn point. This is why you can go to a mountain and see a constant stream of animals coming downhill. As far as I can tell it doesn't despawn them instantly, it's not simply the distance from the spawn point, there is also a calculation for how "old" the dino is. Also, the distance calculation seems to be different based on how big and how fast that species moves. This is why, for example, you can find giga's wandering pretty far from their known spawn point. It's some combination of time + distance that makes the game decide to despawn them.

The same thing happens when you carry them to a taming trap, or in your case back to your base. As long as you keep them rendered in graphically they won't despawn but as soon as you leave the area the game looks at how old they are and how far away they are from their spawn point. Sometimes, if you get lucky, you can fly out of render range, fly back, and the animal will still be in your taming trap or your base, but if you've carried them far away from their spawn point then there's a much bigger risk of them despawning.

One solution to this is to put taming pens out in the wild, so if you pick up a dino but you can't tame it yet, it will stay alive because it's still close to it's spawn point. Even then they will sometimes despawn when you fly away and come back later, you never know how old an animal is when you pick it up.

The best solution is to always tame things right away. If you have to go back to your base to get supplies then it's safer to take the animal with you, keep it rendered in graphically, pick up your supplies and tame it. Every time you fly out of render range, whether it's in a taming trap or in your base, you run the risk of a wild dino despawning.

7 hours ago, Vlad2701 said:

I wondered if anyone could enlighten me?

Single player....
The Island.....

Made a 3x3 area and put fencing around it. Used an Argy to pick up a few snails and drop them in here. They were wild and I thought I would tame them eventually, but they made a bit of paste every minute. Went on an obsidian run to the mountains with 3 Argy and when I came back the Snails had just VANISHED. SOooo - I thought - well, perhaps a wild dino had got in and decimated them - as they were still wild I would not get a notice. Therefore - I put a 4x3 platform some 3 stories up - with a ramp and a door and dropped 5 more in..... Went with a raft and a Baryonx to get some Crystal in the local cave and upon coming back - all 5 snails had VANISHED. Soooo - what's the score - do they starve to death in a few hours...  - it was only between 05:00 in the morning and like 09:00 (Game time) Or is there something more sinister going on? All I wanted was for my hard earned snails to stay a little longer until I got to taming them - maybe a few days whilst I organised some cake. Thanks

This is a single player issue. The snails will "disappear" after sometime in the wrong area of the game for too long. In fact all wild creatures will typically disappear after some time after first spotted. I have had giga's, quetzals, thylo's, and even argies I spotted, wanted to tame so I left them alone, and then when I finally get around to getting the necessary goods to tame them, they are no where to be found. I have even had this exact instance happen to me with ovis before. And I did the same thing you did. I picked it up with my argy, brought it back to base, trapped it up stairs and after a day or two, it just disappeared.
While one could argue that since structures disappear from render, maybe it just walked away, the thing was I never had a problem going off, doing something, coming back, and it was still upstairs. It just straight up disappeared and I never seen it again. And this happened more than once.

The worst is when you can never find that species again. I can't tell you how many runs Iv had where I completely loose all of one type of species and can never find that creature again.....giga's, beavers, my beloved thylo's.....I can't tell you how heart breaking it is when I can fly through the redwoods completely care free, hopeing to find a mate for the thylo you tamed after you decided it was "good enough" or "just in case" cause your not able to find anymore. :( 

Archived