Genesis 2 Mission Mechanics

UltimatePowa

So I skipped out on Genesis 1 and Genesis Part 2.
I like maps that are one big open area, though Genesis 2's map is fairly open, I don't like seeing terrain I can't go to in my games, big turn off for me, and always has been.

Though I thought I'd give Genesis 2 a go, as I already had it and wanted to tame a Tek Stryder, so in I went, and boy and am I glad I missed these expansions.
Absolutely horrdendous experience of trying to tame a Tek Stryder.
Not only do I have to do 52 missions, but I have to do it on another map I'm not currently playing on (I'm on Fjordur, I hate spreading out too much on different maps), and they have to be unique missions.
On top of that, some of the missions are so bugged its extremely hard, if not down right impossible to do if you have any latency issues with your connection, which I'm on a satellite connection, so yeah, mine isn't the best.

Who came up with the idea of missions in the first place?
Waste of time and energy, almost nobody likes them.
They might like 1 or 2, but I highly doubt people just do them for fun/entertainment.
They do it because it's homework/chores.

Thank God Fjordur exists, Ark would of had such a horrible end to it with all this crap revolving around forced missions where you are just rowing a canoe.
What purpose for the story or immersion of the game does this serve?
None, it's busywork to make people put more hours into the game and its atrocious. 

1 hour ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

I think the missions are fun. Although I do sort of agree that the number of missions you need to do for a higher level stryder is a bit much.

I think there is a place for them if they weren't forced on the players, if they were just there as a way to gain XP and loot.
Or if the missions had some real connection to the lore rather than simulation arenas. 

9 hours ago, UltimatePowa said:

I think there is a place for them if they weren't forced on the players, if they were just there as a way to gain XP and loot.
Or if the missions had some real connection to the lore rather than simulation arenas. 

I also agree that the missions should've taken place in the real world. You have an enormous starship, but yet you only see a tiny section of it. Although I do think that the missions should be a requirement. Same way the caves are a requirement on the other maps.

The problem when people say missions are chores is that you can make an identical argument for 90% of the game's mechanics. Artifact hunting, loot crate farming, tribute farming, feeding, etc. There are lots of grindy things to do that aren't fun in and of themselves. I don't really see a difference between running a mission and farming loot boxes and artifact caves. In fact, it's generally pretty short given the team I have to do various hunt missions. Races are fast and easy, too. 

I like missions generally. But I also like traditional ark content. It's not either or for me. I have multiple maps clustered so I can do what I want when I want. The missions were largely fine. I think Gen 2 streamlined them. I actually prefer some of the missions from Gen 1, if only they were less punishing like Gen 2 ones. The weird bugs were the only bad thing about missions. 

10 hours ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

I also agree that the missions should've taken place in the real world. You have an enormous starship, but yet you only see a tiny section of it. Although I do think that the missions should be a requirement. Same way the caves are a requirement on the other maps.

MIssions do take place in the real world. Only some do not, and the rationale for that was to cut down on server issues like no build zones or building in zones.  People wanted stuff separate from the overworld, so wildcard listened. 

1 hour ago, Zeldei said:

MIssions do take place in the real world. Only some do not, and the rationale for that was to cut down on server issues like no build zones or building in zones.  People wanted stuff separate from the overworld, so wildcard listened. 

Real world as in not within the simulation. But rather on different parts of the Starship, outside of the playable section of the rings.

Archived