I am currently renting a server from shockbyte that me and my wife play on. Ive been lookimg around trying to find an answer but get mixed results. We want to switch maps and take some dinos with us. Can i just upload dinos and survivor to obby and then shut the server down switch maps and download dinos and survivor. Any help would be appreciated 

2 minutes ago, Masteller334 said:

I am currently renting a server from shockbyte that me and my wife play on. Ive been lookimg around trying to find an answer but get mixed results. We want to switch maps and take some dinos with us. Can i just upload dinos and survivor to obby and then shut the server down switch maps and download dinos and survivor. Any help would be appreciated 

The answer depends a little bit on how shockbyte sets up the folders for your server, but I'm thinking that you can probably do this using the standard commands for setting up a cluster. Even if you only run one map at a time, having them all being members of the same cluster will let them all have access to the same files for obelisk storage. You would have to add a couple of items to the configuration for your server before you do this.

If I were in your shoes, I would also look at the shockbyte forums to see if other people have had this same question or maybe even submit a support ticket to shockbyte asking them if this will work on their system. It should work, but again I don't know how they set up the directory structure for rented servers.

What you would do is shut down your server, make these changes to the startup configuration and the GameUserSettings.ini and then restart your server to make sure that your existing map doesn't have any problems. It's important for you to confirm that these changes don't cause any problems before you try moving on to another map.

1) Add to the server startup command

-clusterid=<youpickaclustername>

2) Add to the server startup command

?AltSaveDirectoryName=<youpickadirectoryname>

3) Obelisk Time Settings

Add to the GameUserSettings.ini

TributeItemExpirationSeconds=31557600
TributeDinoExpirationSeconds=31557600
TributeCharacterExpirationSeconds=31557600

These three settings tell the game how long to keep things in the obelisks. On an official server they are set to =86400 (that's how many seconds there are in 24 hours). On my private server they are set to value =31557600 will keep things in your obelisks for a year. You will need to decide how long you want things to be saved in the obelisk for your maps and calculate the number of seconds to use.

What the -clusterid does is it adds a separate folder to the saves directory for your server, and the only thing that folder does is hold the contents of the obelisks. Then, when you start your new map, you also include the same clusterid for the new map and you should be able to access the folder that holds those contents. Also, if you don't already have one, I suggest adding the argument "AltSaveDirectoryName" for each map. This allows the contents of each map to be saved in a separate folder, this way information from new maps doesn't potentially overwrite information from old maps. Since you're renting a server from a service I don't know how you set up the configuration that runs your server, but I'm assuming they have options that look a lot like the contents of a service file. For example, when I start my game server I have a file that contains all of the arguments needed to run it.

For example, here is what my startup files for The Island and Ragnarok look like:

ExecStart=/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer TheIsland?listen?SessionName=MyIsland?ServerPassword=myserverpassword?AltSaveDirectoryName=Island?MultiHome=192.168.1.15?Port=####?QueryPort=##### -NoTransferFromFiltering -server -log -clusterid=MyCluster

ExecStart=/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer Ragnarok?listen?SessionName=MyRagnarok?ServerPassword=myserverpassword?AltSaveDirectoryName=Rag?MultiHome=192.168.1.15?Port=####?QueryPort=##### -NoTransferFromFiltering -server -log -clusterid=MyCluster

You'll notice that each map has a  different ?AltSaveDirectoryName but they both share the same -clusterid

If I go to the saves directory:

/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved

it contains multiple directories:

../Island     (holds all files that are specific to The Island map)

../Center     (holds all files that are specific to Center map)

../Ragnarok     (holds all files that are specific to Ragnarok)

../clusters/MyCluster     (holds all files that have the contents of the obelisks, can be accessed from any map)

Archived