Someone told me when Ark 2 comes out Ark 1 will stop having events.

SarahMonette

6 hours ago, SarahMonette said:

That would def kill Ark 1 might as well shut Ark 1 down completely.  No one plays official unless there is an event running.  New players do not buy and play this game unless they have older players there to talk to.

This is a little tricky to answer because there are two kinds of events, weekend events and holiday events. WildCard has specifically said they're going to stop having events but (as far as I know) they were not specific about which kind of events they were referring to, or if they mean all events. I have a feeling this only means holiday events and I'm betting that they will still have weekend Evo events.

Having said that, this is only a guess.

Edited by Pipinghot

I suspect private server owners will still be able to launch their own in-game holiday events using proper code. That's the prerogative of server owners in the first place. You can allow default updates to launch them on their own, but you always have the option of having Christmas in July by adding proper launch codes to your server. That's what the code is there for in the first place. Ark Official might die out as they abandon servers officially, Ark Unofficial is likely to continue.

• Volunteer Moderator

There's always someone saying that "something" will kill ARK, yet 7+ years later here we are and nothing has killed it.

Whilst it's possible EVO events may end, it is also just as possible that they will increase base rates again at the end to compensate, including breeding. But of course we all know people would then complain about no EVO because they only play at weekends for higher rates, even though they would have increased the rates permanently. It's human nature.

But all this, it will kill ARK 1 is nonsense. If ARK 1 popularity drops, which it will, it will be a natural end of life process because it will be 8 years old, and people will move on to the new shiny ARK 2. It's human nature.

I'm surprised how many people aren't willing to accept this, when this is nothing unique to ARK.

• Like 2

Welp, its probably not a bad thing. I speculate at that time most people who do Real Money Trading, Exploitations,  and Hacking will probably begone too. The servers will probably run much smoother than it had ever been.

As someone who had been here since the max level for player was 60 and the name "nameless" wasnt indicating a specific animal, i just want to say its a shame that we didnt get to enjoy this game in the smooth way since the beginning.

On the other hand, as much as i am looking forward to ARK II, I am kind of concerned about the prospect of a "soul-like" game in the "ARK-like" server...... 

Edited by nameless

I wasn't talking about increased rates killing Ark 1.  I'm talking about colored dinos, skins and just the entire excitement around events. 

-IF THEY GET RID OF COLORED DINO EVENTS ARK 1 WILL DIE MARK MY WORDS THIS DAY-

The events, however inconvenient, were the only excitement the game offered players.  This entire game is lacking purpose.  We catch and breed dinos to do what with them???  Nothing.  There was never any reason to waste our irl's playing.  We're here only because this is the only game atm with outrageous pet system.  But there is nothing to do with the pets once you get them leveled and prettied up.  Just takes people different amount of time before they realize it.

It was not the lag that pushed the players away.  It was not even that the game is to graphic heavy to most people's ordinary pc's.  It was not crappy servers.

Ark 1 has no where to go with your pets once you've caught them and bred them up.  

All that held this game together was the excitement of getting a colorful high level on a populated server and the bragging rights it gave you.

This game is empty of meaning without the events.

5 hours ago, SarahMonette said:

-if they DON"T get rid of colored dino events ark 1 STILL DIE ANYWAY, EVENTUALLY, mark my words this day- Because obviously ARK 1 will eventually die no matter what they do.

Now, if you can make a specific prediction giving the year and month that it will die, and your prediction turns out to be correct than, and only then, I'll be impressed. Otherwise you're just stating the obvious.

Edited by Pipinghot

5 hours ago, SarahMonette said:

I wasn't talking about increased rates killing Ark 1.  I'm talking about colored dinos, skins and just the entire excitement around events. 

The events, however inconvenient, were the only excitement the game offered players.  This entire game is lacking purpose.  We catch and breed dinos to do what with them???  Nothing.  There was never any reason to waste our irl's playing.  We're here only because this is the only game atm with outrageous pet system.  But there is nothing to do with the pets once you get them leveled and prettied up.  Just takes people different amount of time before they realize it.

It was not the lag that pushed the players away.  It was not even that the game is to graphic heavy to most people's ordinary pc's.  It was not crappy servers.

Ark 1 has no where to go with your pets once you've caught them and bred them up.  

All that held this game together was the excitement of getting a colorful high level on a populated server and the bragging rights it gave you.

This may just be my opinion, but I'm personally not a fan of the events. All they really add is a few new silly looking skins, and some ridiculous looking creatures, of which I much prefer the natural look of. You say that Ark will die if not for the events, but if a game is only "alive" because of the events, it's not really alive at all.

Another thing: As is the case of most sandbox games, with "no real end." The game's meaning is what you make it to be. And from looking at your post, it seems like Ark doesn't really mean anything to you. Which makes me wonder why you even made this post.

7 hours ago, SarahMonette said:

That is your opinion.

In all fairness, the poor performance of the game is for quite a few people a reason to give up on ARK.
Several tribe mates did, I've put ARK on hold a few times for that as well but kept comming back.

I did not come back for the colours, I gave up on Farmville long ago and never liked My Little Pony or the Carebears. I never came back for the boosted rates and people claiming they only can breed during events just breed either too much or to dumb.

In my opinion ARK took away it's own meaning by replacing specific dino abilities by simple tech, unlimitted server hopping and overpowered dino's. Dimetrodons are useless now, who need argies when you just can teleport yourself all over the place or drag a magma all over the place with a skiff? Who needs smart planning if you can do minibosses with just one half decent Giga and most Alpha bosses with only 20 top rexes and no support?

ARK has been catering to mass breeders and speedrunners more and more, trading has taken over the actual gameplay and that is just getting boring. Even base building is simplified with ocean platforms and huge flat area's on new maps. Every idiot and his granny can build a mega base within no time now.
New maps with closed servers are the best part of the game to me and many others and the moment servers are open first there's a boom in imported topstat dino's and then people start spreading thin when there is not enough dealing going on.

(Note: This is all said with official PvE in mind as It seemed to me OP is not even considering PvP for competitive purpose.)

17 hours ago, SarahMonette said:

The events, however inconvenient, were the only excitement the game offered players.

This may be true for you, but for lots and lots (and lots) of other players you're completely wrong.

Next time just try speaking for yourself, when you try to speak for others you're almost guaranteed to get it wrong.

3 hours ago, SarahMonette said:

And what about the children's charity?  What happens to it?  Those kids in the hospital.  It's an event here on ark to help them.

You mean the event that is completely independent from ARK, the event that is managed by a charity that has absolutely nothing to do with WildCard, the event that other sponsors with deep pockets that can reach tens of thousands of gamers even if ARK shuts down? Yeah... they'll be fine.

And in case you've forgotten, which would be strange considering that you're the one who started this thread, we're talking about what happens to ARK after ARK2 is released. It should be super-duper obvious that WildCard will continue to support Extra Life on ARK2.

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 9:12 PM, SarahMonette said:

that's just like..  your opinion man.

i disagree with you on many of these points.  this is, at it's heart, a survival game similar at it's base to many others.  minecraft, conan, valheim, dayz, ark..  all of them are resource gathering, crafting exploring games, each with their own twist.  the twist for ark is a heavy reliance on taming pets. 

"we catch and breed dinos to do what with them?" 

i catch and breed dinos for 3 reasons. 

1) harvesting.  my experience has been that i can harvest substantially more resources with a dino than with a pick or axe or sickle.  my anklyosaurus is essentially a piece of farm equipment.

2) defense/attack.  i have a few rexes, allosaurus, and deinonychus to protect my base and other tames from wandering aggresive dinos, and i raise them and others for use in boss fights.

3) fun.  do i need an equus? maybe, they can be used as a morter & pestle if you have a saddle.  probably not, i've got a chem bench now and hardly ever craft on the go, and now mostly i travel by flight anyway.  do i breed them anyway? yes, i have a plethora of ponies and i will hidalgo race tribemates across the map at the drop of a gauntlet just for funsies.  

do i care about events and special color dinos, yes, but would it be the end of my Ark gaming experience if there were no more events? certainly not.  there is so much to this game.  building big sweet cool looking bases, building cool boats for utility or style, goofing off with friends in however many ways we deem fun.

i truly hope you get more enjoyment from this game than simply searching for colorful dinos to catch.  there's so much more to it...

will it die when ark 2 comes out?  i don't think so.  we'll lose some players to ark 2.  some players may leave if they decide ark 1 isn't being supported enough.  but some will stay and still have fun prefering it over it's new replacement.

look to diablo 2 and 3 for an example.  many people stayed with diablo 2 after 3 came out..

anyway, that's just like...  my opinion man.  your mileage may vary.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Stewbawl said:

3) fun.  do i need an equus? maybe, they can be used as a morter & pestle if you have a saddle.  probably not, i've got a chem bench now and hardly ever craft on the go, and now mostly i travel by flight anyway.  do i breed them anyway? yes, i have a plethora of ponies and i will hidalgo race tribemates across the map at the drop of a gauntlet just for funsies.

No.
You need a Unicorn!
Your chem bench won't lasso those dodobunnies in to your egg dispensor and neither will your morter and pestel ;)