Are tapejara’s actually good?

Yutyrannusfan14

Should I even put in the effort to tame a Tapejara? I’ve already got a few argys so I’m not sure if they’re still worth the annoyance. I was planning on taming one but now I’m not so sure. For reference my character’s level is 98 and I play almost entirely single player (with the exception of sometimes playing with a family member on split screen)

In the past we had to tame everything in order to get the eggs for kibble to tame other things you really wanted.  The current kibble system really lets u just tame what you want to and ignore everything else.   Tapejara have usefulness , but it comes down to your own playstyle in the end.  Will you use it?

I personally have gone the last 5 years w/out ever using one for much more than setting up some walls that were hard to set down w/ an argent that only wants to move forwards.  They are handy when using to build your base.  They can be really handy using to tame other dinos.   

1 hour ago, Yutyrannusfan14 said:

Should I even put in the effort to tame a Tapejara? I’ve already got a few argys so I’m not sure if they’re still worth the annoyance. I was planning on taming one but now I’m not so sure. For reference my character’s level is 98 and I play almost entirely single player (with the exception of sometimes playing with a family member on split screen)

They can be good, but really you need to fly one to see if they're good for you.

They carry less weight than argy's but are faster, essentially a compromise between the fast-lightweight pteranodon and slower-heavyweight argy. The main benefits are their maneuverability and carrying a passenger.

When I go out on a general exploration mission, just learning more about a map and carrying supplies for any contingency I almost always use an argy, that way I have building materials for anything I might want to try. But if I'm going out to accomplish something very specific, like I already know where I want to build a taming trap and I need exactly x pillars, x ceilings & x doorways, then I will often take a tapejara instead. But really it all comes down to you, the only way to really know is to tame one and see if you like it.

It's worth saying that this is one of the advantages of single player, you can do experiments that aren't possible on Official servers or any server that you don't own. You can spawn one int, play around with it for a day or two, and if you like it you kill the one you spawned in and go tame a wild one fair-and-square.

1 hour ago, Yutyrannusfan14 said:

Guess I’ll just have to tame one and find out! Thanks!

They way they move around is unique and handy. They can fly in any direction at a moments notice. 

sample interior monolog, 'fly back a little? up a little, no wait, back down a little, now to the left, no your other left, now back up and a little back... perfect.  '

6 hours ago, Yutyrannusfan14 said:

Guess I’ll just have to tame one and find out! Thanks!

One additional note, it will feel really weird to fly at first. The fact that they can move differently from a ptera or argy will make you wonder what the heck your fingers are doing sometimes. You'll want to play with it exclusively for a couple of days if you want to truly get familiar with it.

14 hours ago, Yutyrannusfan14 said:

well, it depends. While argy is the go to bird, sadly they are very slow. Tappy can be much faster if you need to cross the whole map for something. Ontop of that, they also have a tek saddle you can unlock later if you want. However not sure why you would want a tappy flying around and shooting lazers at stuff

1 hour ago, DeHammer said:

I found Tapejara's fantastic for 1) carrying heavier loads when you don't have a Quetzel yet, and 2) for construction projects. Once you get the hang of their movement, they really give you a lot more freedom to move around and place walls, etc from the air. 

I've spun my argy in many a circle trying to come back and park him in just the right spot, x as air break is great for that, but I can't believe it never occurs to me to bust out my forgoten tapejara! Almost wanna go start a construction project just to do so... :D

On 7/23/2022 at 1:55 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

I've spun my argy in many a circle trying to come back and park him in just the right spot, x as air break is great for that, but I can't believe it never occurs to me to bust out my forgoten tapejara! Almost wanna go start a construction project just to do so... :D

I also used Tapejara's to trap a Quetzel once. It's a bit circumstantial, but if you're in the mountains and Quetzels are flying lower than the peak, they sometimes end up flying super close to the ground as they ascend the slope of a hill. At the right moment you can use a Tapejara to place a stone dino gate right in front them that they fly into and get stuck on. Then you quickly use the Tatpajara to place more gates around it, trapping it. 

20190316004051_1.jpg

Tapejara Base weight-280-No weight reduction.

Argentavis base weight-400-Black Pearl, Crystal, Metal, Metal Ingot, Obsidian, Organic Polymer, Polymer, Stone, Scrap Metal Ingot recive a 50% weight reduction

15 hours ago, DeHammer said:

I found Tapejara's fantastic for 1) carrying heavier loads when you don't have a Quetzel yet

See the source image

5 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Tapejara Base weight-280-No weight reduction.

Argentavis base weight-400-Black Pearl, Crystal, Metal, Metal Ingot, Obsidian, Organic Polymer, Polymer, Stone, Scrap Metal Ingot recive a 50% weight reduction

See the source image

No one's arguing there are better options. I happened to build fairly complex bases systems, so early on my Tapajara could maneuver around the base with heavier loads much easier than an Argy can, and the Tapajara's I used for this were all exceptional weight specimens built up strictly for carrying weight. They can take heavy loads and maneuver around the base with them much easier than my Argys. These days I build differently so I don't use them for this. Argy's are also more available. 

1 hour ago, DeHammer said:

No one's arguing there are better options. I happened to build fairly complex bases systems, so early on my Tapajara could maneuver around the base with heavier loads much easier than an Argy can, and the Tapajara's I used for this were all exceptional weight specimens built up strictly for carrying weight. They can take heavy loads and maneuver around the base with them much easier than my Argys. These days I build differently so I don't use them for this. Argy's are also more available. 

Well I won't deny the maneuverability, but still I was curious if you was serious about them having better weight capacity, cause if so, I was going to show my argy carrying more stone than a rex or quetzal could XD

With the release of Fjordur, the desmodus are taking some thunder away from tapejaras in terms of maneuverability. I'm not sure which one is faster, but they both have the multidirectional movement. The taming processes are different but both relatively easy early game tames. The tek saddle is probably the best argument for tapejaras being useful in the current PvP environment

23 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Well I won't deny the maneuverability, but still I was curious if you was serious about them having better weight capacity, cause if so, I was going to show my argy carrying more stone than a rex or quetzal could XD

Being fairly far along in the game, and well versed in breeding, I have access to Tek Quetzels with tremendous weight capacity. Mid-air taming of Tek Questzels became a fav challenge of mine so I ended up with some very nice specimens with high weight cap. 

Bella_02.thumb.jpg.398d6d296ddd47aef561e96de6739aae.jpg

4 hours ago, CornOnTheCab said:

With the release of Fjordur, the desmodus are taking some thunder away from tapejaras in terms of maneuverability. I'm not sure which one is faster, but they both have the multidirectional movement. The taming processes are different but both relatively easy early game tames. The tek saddle is probably the best argument for tapejaras being useful in the current PvP environment

There's also the Tropeognathus which is similar. The main difference being that if you make a mistake taming a Tropeo, they can easily kill you early game. 

Archived