Can You ID This Ark Creature?

DeHammer

I'm posting this in the General Discussion because I'm not convinced this is map specific. Though it occurred while playing on the new Fjordur map.

I wish I had a picture of what I saw, but it happened so quickly I didn't think to screen cap until it was too late. 

I was standing on a larger set of beach rocks on the South-East beach of the mainland... the beginner spawn area. Mostly easy creatures in this area... Dodo's, Para's, the odd Raptor or Carno. I'm looking across the beach and up from the area closest to the water comes this 'spine' showing just through the sand. It's moving fast... drawning a line in the sand as it went. Reminded me of like a mini Death Worm. No ground tremors. Just the very edge of a greenish spine sticking throught the sand. It circled around a pit fall trap I had built on the beach, and came right for me. But I was so high up on the rocks that it seemed to quickly curve away and zoomed off down the beach. 

What the heck was it? Seemed like some kind of smaller verion of the creature from the movie Tremors. But the only underground creatures I know are those that burrow in one place, or there's the Death Worm that moves around under the surface. My clan mates say I should have 'teken one for the team' to see if it would come up and reveal itself. Maybe I will next time. 

11 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Could it have been a glitched basilisk? Maybe a basilisk with a rider?

Yeah, me thinks a basilisk was the closest in Fjordur that could do this. The only other idea I could come up with is some sort of creature that spawned under the ground. Had a raptor pretend he was a sand shark on the island kill me this way.

17 hours ago, riceandvegetable said:

Are you on a server that uses Ark Additions? They have Concavenator, which is a dino that burrows in sand like a land shark.

I'm on a private unofficial server, so it could be possible, but the server manager doesn't seem to have an idea what it might have been. 

Actually, looking at the YouTube you linked... those 'land sharks' are far more dramatic and easier to see then what I observed. There was no 'dust' being kicked up, and you could just see the very edge of a spine that was drawing a line in the sand. 

I was also wondering if it could have been a glitched dino under the map. When I first saw it, I thought maybe a graphics card video glitch, but then it seemed to move with some thoughtfulness around the pitfall trap and big rocks. 

Archived