Having Trouble with Baby Rexes

RexLover22

I'm having a ton of trouble hatching a baby rex. The first and second egg I managed to start incubation but the egg cooked to death before they hatched in the campfires I used to incubate them. The third one hatched, but burned to death shortly after hatching. 

How do I hatch these rex eggs without risking the hatchlings burning to death? I'm playing on The Island map.

Ps. Relatively new to the whole breeding thing so... help? Please?

The simple solution is to wait until you're a high enough level to use air conditioners. (Despite their name, they'll heat or cool the egg as necessary.) Put half a dozen of them close together, and hatch your eggs there. Since you get Rex saddles at a higher level than AC units, it's usually the way to go.

If you can't do that, then put the egg close enough to fires or torches to keep it the right temperature (if you look at the egg it'll tell you if you don't have it correct). Each fire or torch changes the insulation levels, so you can have it in the midst of several if necessary.

7 hours ago, RexLover22 said:

Oh ok thanks! My brother told me they were adjustable. I just wanted to make sure the air conditioner were the right way to go

AC's are not adjustable exactly, but they do work in both directions at the same time. "Air Conditioner" isn't really the best name for them because it implies that they make everything colder, but really what they do is make it easier to hatch any egg. No matter where you are on the map, no matter what the temperature is, you can hatch any kind of egg once you install a couple of AC's.

Also, if you're using fires & torches, most of the time you just need to be a little careful about how far the eggs are from the fires. If they're getting too much heat you just need to experiment with picking them up or moving them farther away from the egg. Once a dino hatches they don't need any fires, torches or AC, the babies will grow no matter what the temperature is so you can just have them follow you to a safe distance.

9 hours ago, RexLover22 said:

I'm having a ton of trouble hatching a baby rex. The first and second egg I managed to start incubation but the egg cooked to death before they hatched in the campfires I used to incubate them. The third one hatched, but burned to death shortly after hatching. 

How do I hatch these rex eggs without risking the hatchlings burning to death? I'm playing on The Island map.

Ps. Relatively new to the whole breeding thing so... help? Please?

Couple of things you can do, first is to be more vigilant. Its as fun as it sounds, but do not leave the area and babysit them clear till they are born and untill after they are capable of eating out of the trough.

Secound is to build indoors. The temperature doesn't change as drastically as it does outside of a building. As such, its actually better to make sure a baby is born inside when useing camp fires. 

Last but not least, and probably the best advice, use a creature that offers insulation protection instead of the fires.
Either otters, penguins, or dimetrodon offer a high insulation boost and if you level up their melee stat, they can offer even more insulation without fear of causeing damage to the egg or baby.

Other than that, its the AC unit or an egg incubator.

1 hour ago, RexLover22 said:

Ok they're consistently hatching now, but they're still dying. I put them with their parents and go screw around for a little while and BOOM. When I get back there's a dead baby. Where am I going wrong here? 

Tldr: they're hatching now but they're still dying

Ok, here is where things get tough, you need to actually put the food they eat into their inventory until they are a juvenile. Once they reach that age limit of maturity, they will then eat out of a feeding trough. The only alternative to this is to use a meawing which is found on lost island, Fjordur, or Gen 2.

Honestly tho, if your on SP, it shouldn't take too long. Maybe 30 minutes? If your online, its half your life. XD

Once they are grown up to where their name goes from "Baby rex" to "Juvenile Rex", they can eat out of the feeding trough. But be wary as there is still a bug that can cause the baby to starve out with a full trough of food next to them if you leave the area. 

What happens is sometimes the trough will disappear from rendering before the baby, and since it disappears first, the game decides that the baby rex has no food source and it starts to starve. The best way to cure this is to make sure you completely fill the inventory of the baby with its food source before you go on an adventure......Can't remember all the different times I forgot to do this and came back to a corpse. x.x

--------------------------------------------

Raising and imprinting babies are a super pain in the behind, but totally worth it if done correctly. Take my advice on this, if you plan on raising a baby for the first time and want to do it right, first get the egg to hatch. Sounds like you got that down. Next, you have got to spend the whole day babysitting. Nothing else.
Once the egg hatch's, quickly claim the baby, then put as much food source as you can into its inventory. Since its a baby, it can't hold very much. So be ready to put even more food into its inventory in a little bit as it eats.

Once you have claimed the baby and fed it. move it into a safe and secure area away from the hatchery you have set up so that you can hatch another egg.

Once its in its safe spot, feed it again and start getting things ready for the next egg your going to hatch. If no eggs need to be hatched, just simply do a little bit of this or that in the base, but don't leave....You can make paste, grind for spark powder.....anything that doesn't require you to leave the area.
At about 5-7% maturity you should be able to put a considerable amount of food into the baby, and this will allow you to do a bit of this or that before you need to go back to re feed the baby. BUT DO NOT FORGET! Use a timer on a phone, put the clock next to the tv/monitor whatever it takes.

I have personally found this to be the best time to go fishing as if you take honey from a hive, you will get 5 honey. Then when you go to your fishing spot (someplace nearby mind you) it takes about 5-6 minutes to use up all the honey and then you should really go check on your baby again. Not only do you still get something productive done, but you are also preventing your baby from starving out. It also helps you keep and eye on the imprint timer as well.

----------------------------

Last but not least, the imprints.....when the imprint timer on the baby reaches 0, it will ask for something special. It can either be a cuddle, a walk, or a special food item. I haven't seen a baby request one of the kibbles for quite some time now, but they still ask for any of the berries, meats, and sometimes the jerkys. The cuddle is simple, just push the button. And the walk is also simple, tell the creature to follow you and go for a walk.....you will see the creature do a animation once the imprint has taken place. I personally like to imprint the thylo's :P

If you do not have the requested item the baby asks for during an imprint, use a cryo pod to cryo up the creature and then toss it out for it to have a different request.

Raising babies is a really, really, really annoying thing to do, even with super boosted breeding/growth rates like I have (I plan to do lots of breeding). I'm still working on getting those rates perfect, but that's a story for another post. Anyway, what I find is just using standing torches is best for lower level eggs, and if possible, air cons are much better, and egg incubators are lifesavers. Also, by the way, egg incubators are the ones that are adjustable to whatever baby you want. But despite all the pain, raising babies is the way to go in ARK.

Good luck on your rexes, and Happy ARKing!

4 hours ago, RexLover22 said:

Ok, will do. Thank you kind stranger! Perhaps my cousin will stop getting annoyed with me for accidentally killing off her Rex's babies lol. 

I think I have accidentally killed like 5 or 6 baby rexes by now 🥲

Its allright, its a steep learning curve. Once you get it down tho, everything flows like clockwork. And count yourself lucky. Me and my mom (yeah she is like 60, but likes to play ark) started learning the breeding process before they added the "do you wish to consume this egg?" prompt. She was going to put a couple eggs down in my hatchery and accidentally ate a wyvern egg and a spare argy egg after she panicked about eating the wyvern egg. I told her to stop........and then to pull the left trigger on her controller to toss out the last argy egg......

she then ate the last argy egg after a pausing for a moment, and then screwed up and pressed the wrong button again. XD

Archived