Pegomastax is a poor game mechanic

Krigan

Just started playing Ark again (played some in early access). I got a decent start a couple birds a few gatherer dinos but only one fighter a T-rex tamed at 145. I go down to get some water before logging off and as soon as I hop off my bird & see the message "Pegomastax stole empty cryo pod" I get back on bird and chase & kill the Pego but he no longer has the empty cryo pod. I then look to my hot bar and my T-Rex is gone, so not actually an empty cryo. I did some research since I was unfamiliar with this Dino & it turns out putting junk on last spot of hot bar is best defense. So now I have to waste a spot on my hot bar to keep from losing my best stuff? I assume he can't rob me if I am mounted? Just an awful game mechanic, If we must have this Dino he should return item if killed & maybe not have access to everything I have, losing a stack of element is bad enough I don't need to lose Dinos. I know it is a hardcore game but this just feels cheap and not skill based.

If anyone has a better counter than keeping Mejoberries at the end of my hot bar advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Yeah, then it would have actually gotten an empty cryo pod and died right after to the Rex. I am very careful and scouted the area before landing. It hit me almost the instant I jumped off so it either just spawned or was hiding in bushes. The reason I don't throw out the Rex all the time is fear of an Alpha Rex or Giga showing up. If my Rex is not out, I can just jump on the bird and fly away. The biggest problem is that I did not know about this Dino and had to learn the hard way.

32 minutes ago, Krigan said:

Yeah, then it would have actually gotten an empty cryo pod and died right after to the Rex. I am very careful and scouted the area before landing. It hit me almost the instant I jumped off so it either just spawned or was hiding in bushes. The reason I don't throw out the Rex all the time is fear of an Alpha Rex or Giga showing up. If my Rex is not out, I can just jump on the bird and fly away. The biggest problem is that I did not know about this Dino and had to learn the hard way.

If its any consolation - just about every ark player learned the hard way with this animal.   

THere's another one too, a bird.  It will steal your food, kill you if you have nothing on you.  It can disarm you, though most of us when we first experience this, don't know this and think our best sword just disappeared.  It should be on the floor somewhere waiting for you to pick it up.

2 hours ago, Krigan said:

A lot of ark is gaining experience to know what threats are bigger, and what can kill what. For example gigas are very rare and easy to spot. I used to be terrified they'd swoop down on me and kill my stuff, but idk maybe I'm getting lax and that is going to happen when i least expect it, but having gone on several giga hunts with my super mutated rexs, and having had some gigas agro on my base and just sorta give up and run away, they are far less scarry. Also kill some alpha rexs and get over your fears. :D If you're on official pve, I'm sure someone can help you get a newer better rex. p.s. I hate thief birds and pego as well.

10 hours ago, Krigan said:

So now I have to waste a spot on my hot bar to keep from losing my best stuff?

We all feel your pain, everyone has lost something important to a pego (or an ichthyornis). They're both here to stay, so you have to get used to them, but we all know how painful this was to learn this way.

10 hours ago, Krigan said:

I know it is a hardcore game but this just feels cheap and not skill based.

Well, when you put it that way there's not a whole lot of the game that's truly skill based. Once you learn how to do a few basic, easy things like kiting things and making taming traps then most of the game is yours for the taking.

What pegomastax and ichthyornis really do is make sure that even advanced players have to pay attention to their surroundings. It's far too easy to get jaded and stop paying attention once you have a powerful mount, but having these on the map (and a few others like microraptora & thylacoleo, is intended to give people reasons to pay attention much more of the time.

2 minutes ago, Stewbawl said:

i hate Pego's with a passion.  but even worse is it's bird equivalent (icthyornis?)that keeps swooping in and stealing stuff until you deal with it.

yea they are annoying.  But later on they get to be easy to manage.  Late game they don't' bother you much at all, you also learn to take them out right away.  You spot them better as you continue playing.  But I still get taken from here and there .  Especially when new maps drop and you are just starting out again.

As someone who has over 10k dinos in pods, it seems like the worst thing that can happen at the time, but its really just a bump in the road.

3 minutes ago, Stewbawl said:

my mind is not comprehending this...     i was starting to worry about how many i was keeping when i realized i needed a second cryofridge.  and here you are with *does the math* over 138!

omg.. I'm starting to doubt I had that many.. coulda sworn i added up all my fridges all those years ago and they were all well stocked and.. anyways when you're base is multi teared and there's dozens and dozens of fridges on each level it just gets away from you.. <-im not editing that..

31 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

omg.. I'm starting to doubt I had that many.. coulda sworn i added up all my fridges all those years ago and they were all well stocked and.. anyways when you're base is multi teared and there's dozens and dozens of fridges on each level it just gets away from you.. <-im not editing that..

yea , w/ a presence on 5 different maps.  It accumulates pretty fast.  U build a room w/ 50 fridges and think, that's plenty.  Then you are on to your 3rd room like that...

On 7/17/2022 at 6:17 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

A lot of ark is gaining experience to know what threats are bigger, and what can kill what. For example gigas are very rare and easy to spot. I used to be terrified they'd swoop down on me and kill my stuff, but idk maybe I'm getting lax and that is going to happen when i least expect it, but having gone on several giga hunts with my super mutated rexs, and having had some gigas agro on my base and just sorta give up and run away, they are far less scarry. Also kill some alpha rexs and get over your fears. :D If you're on official pve, I'm sure someone can help you get a newer better rex. p.s. I hate thief birds and pego as well.

I did not get any help but I got a purple and red 140 rex today. I also barely played, just logged on to see if any Rex's were in my yard. None in the yard but this one just down the hill So I opened my gate to my plateau and lured him up. Weird thing is he got stuck under gate doing pirouettes several times, I had to ram my Argy into him and let it bite her to pull him through. Is this a weird known glitch?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived