Desmodus babies up and dying for no good reason.

Melcreif

Has 1 or more bat babies died on you with food still in their inventory?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a bad bat parent?

• No, what is this I hear about starving babies?
    • OMG!!! I'm not a horrible parent, its not my fault for spending 1 minute too long on a meat run.

If you had the blood packs on the maewing, the "30 second cooldown" when a blood pack is used might have been the issue.  If one baby eats a blood pack from the maewing it puts it on a 30s CD and none of the other babies can eat.

This is a problem with Bloodstalkers too, you have to put the packs in their inventory instead of on a Maewing.

I do not know if this is your issue or not, mine seem to be eating blood packs from their inventory with no issue though, I will update you if/when mine starve.

1 hour ago, Neer said:

If you had the blood packs on the maewing, the "30 second cooldown" when a blood pack is used might have been the issue.  If one baby eats a blood pack from the maewing it puts it on a 30s CD and none of the other babies can eat.

This is a problem with Bloodstalkers too, you have to put the packs in their inventory instead of on a Maewing.

I do not know if this is your issue or not, mine seem to be eating blood packs from their inventory with no issue though, I will update you if/when mine starve.

Yea the issue is the bloodpack cooldown. Best to just toss out a daeodon to help your bat along as it grows

So I had same issue on 1x official xbox.

It fed off the blood packs fine, there is enough time by the cooldown ending that it eats again. I even went all the way across the server and back and it was fine. I was only one on server.

But I logged out for an hour and came back and it had starved and I had a bag full of over 2 hundred blood packs where it was.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:06 AM, CosmicSkeleton said:

Yea the issue is the bloodpack cooldown. Best to just toss out a daeodon to help your bat along as it grows

Or...you could setup more than 1 maewing and have them all loaded up with bloodpacks.  If one can't supply food, another can.

I also put some bloodpacks in every trough for this very reason. If one won't feed a baby, another will at that moment.

1 hour ago, GrumpyBear said:

Or...you could setup more than 1 maewing and have them all loaded up with bloodpacks.  If one can't supply food, another can.

I also put some bloodpacks in every trough for this very reason. If one won't feed a baby, another will at that moment.

This is also a good option, I'm just kinda rooted in the old ways

15 minutes ago, VendettaX7 said:

Yes, further testing has shown that they'll only eat raw meat, not cooked, even when in render. (I didn't test bloopacks)

Now i need to test the render part, but that would be an odd bug.

I did test blood packs as well and while they will eat it, they still starve. Raw meat works best.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you used raw meat, since they don't like cooked meat. 

If you had multiple babies out, it's possible the bloodpacks on the meawing were on timer, so it was only feeding one babie every counter.

Since babies eat from the meawing before inventory, and there was still bloodpacks in the wing, they were waiting for the timer and starved.

This is just a theory, but it's the best one i have so far, i've lost a few to, but not with bloodpacks in the wing only and 1-2 babies per wing.

I had over 50 blood packs on each one so that they wouldn't be starving waiting for maewing to draw from.  They all left behind nearly uneaten stacks of blood.  There was also 2 other maewings on either side with blood.  4 of 5 died, only the one w/ 48 points in food survived.

The maewings were loaded w/ raw meat and blood packs.  There was still meat and blood on the mae in the middle of them.

Each of my tribemates had this kind of loss and it seems to only happen during baby phase, right before juvi status.   I was hoping that the layers I setup on food would have countered the timer mechanism, but it might be the cooldown on bloodpacks isn't properly accounted for with the calculation that occurs the moment we rerender the area.   It almost always kills all but 1 bat when it happens.

16 minutes ago, OMCWILDCAT said:

Dinos will always eat from the trough/maewing before using their own inventory. Even though the blood packs were on cool down they still exist in the maewing so that's what will be targeted by the babies. 

So it would sound like I need to keep a separate maewing for each one or 2 at most per mae.  I was hoping it would defer to another inventory if one was on cd, but i guess it just keeps its eyes on the one.

I must update here, i had a desmo baby die on me last night.

Single baby next to a meawing with 300 bloodpacks in it. So it couldn't be a timer issue and yet it starved soon after i left.

Seems there is indeed a bug where (some) desmo babies won't eat when not rendered. Once juvie it should eat but then again data is still incoming.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:27 AM, VendettaX7 said:

Another desmo bites the dust.

This it was a juvie's (25% done) that starved a bit after i left the server.

There was plenty of bloodpacks left in the meaning and it was the only Desmodus there.

So i would like to know if this is a bug and if there's a fix in the making.

Pretty sure its a bug.
I noticed that whenever I log out my baby/juvies stop eating as well.

Archived