Report Steam Proton Issues & Accessing the Legacy Native Linux version of ARK

Steam Proton has been enabled by default on ARK: Survival Evolved for Steam Linux players, include complete BattlEye support. If you are experiencing any issues with the Proton version of the game, please let us know in this thread and we'll work with Valve (Steam) to get these resolved as soon as possible.

Describe the issue you're experiencing:
Outline in clear steps how you are achieving this issue:
Is this on the Steam Deck or a Linux OS machine: 
If it's a Linux Machine, what version of Linux are you using:
Any additional information which you think could help us resolve the problem:

Players can still continue to play using the legacy Native Linux version of ARK, which can be accessed by:

1. From your Steam games library, right-click on ARK: Survival Evolved and choose Properties.
  2. From this new window you’ll click on BETAS at the top.
  3. Here is where you’ll swap between the Linux native version and the live version of the game.
  4. Choose the beta called "linuxnative" from the drop down list and then close the Properties window once the window says it has successfully accessed the beta.
  5. Your Steam client will begin to download the Linux native version of the game.

If you're experiencing any problems accessing the native version, let us know and we'll investigate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m using a Linux mint 20.3 Cinnamon, cinnamon version 5.2.7

i opted into linuxnative beta, downloaded it, and have tried forcing proton 7.0-3

I’ve cleared the cache and verified the files but when I try to launch it loops back to the play button. I have 123 gb available. 
Honestly I just bought this July 5 and haven’t been able to play it yet. I really love ark though and hope I’ll be able to play it soon

The linuxnative is still not containing the Program file, when trying to run your crappy piece of software through proton it first was running unplayable slow, even when reducing the resolution to 640x480 and putting all other graphics controls to the lowest possible. Meanwhile even that is not working any more, game trys to start for several minutes before it silently quits. Replace telling us lies by doing something to improve the situation!

• 3 weeks later...

- I can not get the game to start from Steam running on Pop_OS (22.04 LTS) on a PC.
- When I hit play on the game it pops up the startup choices. I have tried every startup option that makes sense and none of them work.
- In every case, when I hit play it acts like it is starting, the button changes to "Stop", but nothing ever comes up and the button flips back to "Play" within 5 seconds..
- I tried every version of Proton. Same thing happens.

I figured out how to get the readout from steam when it tries to launch the game. I replaced the user name with "{USERNAME HIDDEN}"

Could not connect to X session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
Could not connect to X session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to ShowLaunchOption with ""
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to ShowLaunchOption ""
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp continues with user response "0"
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
wine: '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/346110/pfx' is not owned by you
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=346110 -- '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/ARK/ShooterGame/Binaries/Win64/ShooterGame_BE.exe'\0
Game process added : AppID 346110 "/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=346110 -- '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/ARK/ShooterGame/Binaries/Win64/ShooterGame_BE.exe'", ProcID 73727, IP 0.0.0.0:0
chdir /home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/ARK/ShooterGame/Binaries/Win64
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
pid 73732 != 73729, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
GameAction [AppID 346110, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
wineserver: /home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/346110/pfx is not owned by you
wine: '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/346110/pfx' is not owned by you
Game process removed: AppID 346110 "/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=346110 -- '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/{USERNAME HIDDEN}/Drives/BackBay/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/ARK/ShooterGame/Binaries/Win64/ShooterGame_BE.exe'", ProcID 73727
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 73839
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 73838
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 73837
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 73836
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 73835
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 73730
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 73729
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 73728
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam

@StudioWildcard the `linuxnative` branch on steam seems to lack the native linux binaries (tried both reinstall and verify). It's weird because the depot suggests it contains it but I presume something is missing that prevents us downloading it.

Edit: I should add that I'm finding that via Proton unless I use dx10 mode I hard crash occasionally (1080ti). Have tried various gfx settings and -norhithread without luck.

Edited by molotovsh

Hey just found this thread.

I'm on Debian 10.

ARK has been broken for me since the proton version replaced the linux version.

It starts up then after a couple minutes, no matter what i do, even if i just let it sit at the main menu, a UE4 error pops up and the game closes. This is on the "linuxnative" branch. And main branch.

No mods installed. All DLC installed. or no DLC installed, doesn't matter.

Every time i run "verify files" it replaces two files. idk which ones, but it happens every time i run "verify"- even if i do it twice in a row.

The error:

Assertion failed: SeparateFileAtEnd [File:F:\build\LostIsland\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\Serialization\BulkData.cpp] [Line: 1200] 

VERSION: 348.3 
UnknownModule!UnknownFunction (0x000000007b0124be) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]

Why is it looking in the root of F (i guess that's how proton sees my external drive) and not my steam library?

Why are asserts even in production builds??

I've deleted the game and reinstalled 3 times and no matter what i do i just get the same error.

========

Hey! I switched to Primitive Plus and got a new error!

Assertion failed: CurrentPos + Count <= TotalSize() [File:F:\build\LostIsland\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\Serialization\AsyncLoading.cpp] [Line: 2102] 
Seeked past end of file ../../../ShooterGame/Content/PrimalEarth/WeaponSword/Animations/FPV/FPV_Sword_WP_PutAway_Montage.uasset (1864 / 1862)

VERSION: 348.1 
UnknownModule!UnknownFunction (0x000000007b0124be) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]

Disabling Primitive Plus gets me back to the first error.

Edited by SofieBofie
new error

Ubuntu 22.04 with Proton 7 is a no go. Ark starts with the option screens and looks busy for about a minute then closes. The game never opens on the screen. Vulkan drivers are up to date. This computer is a new install that was completed today so all drivers and packages are up to date. I am running Nvidia-515 drivers. and a GTX Titan X (M), 128 GB of Corsair 3000 Mhz DDR4 and a AMD 2950X. It is not a resource or performance issue.

There are no errors. No log directory in the Saves directory. It isn't getting that far.

Edited by TruWrecks
More info

I got Ark running with Proton 7 using the Steam client downloaded directly from steampowered. I installed it and let it download all the files it needed to correctly install on Ubuntu 22.04. Now it is compiling mods.

The Ubuntu repository build of the steam client is missing critical files! I wouldn't be surprised if that was the issue with more distros that are having problems.

• 2 months later...

I played ARK Survival Evolved for many months on a Linux system.  Earlier this year, when I upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04, the game stopped working.  I tried a fresh install of the recently released 22.10, and the game still doesn't run, while other Proton games do.

When launched, I hear the theme music but the main game menu never appears.  There are no error messages, and it never stops playing the audio.  I have tried every version of Proton with no luck, although some early versions do produce error dialogs.  I have also tried every launch option (low memory, reduced graphics, etc).  Lastly, I have tried using the steam client directly from steampowered as described above, but still no luck.  The game files pass validation checks just fine, and it lives on an ext4 file system.

The hardware is 64 x AMD Ryzen Threadripper 32 Core processor, 128GB of RAM, MSI 399 Creation motherboard, and dual NVidia 2080TI cards.  Happy to provide whatever diagnostics would be of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are having issues with Steam Proton and accessing the legacy native Linux version of ARK, you can try a few things. First, make sure that you have the latest version of Steam Proton installed. You can do this by opening Steam, going to the "Library" tab, and then selecting "Tools".

From there, find "Steam Play for all other games" and update it to the latest version.

If that doesn't work, try adding the following launch options to your ARK game in Steam: -force-d3d9

-force-feature-level-11-0

-force-feature-level-10-1

-force-feature-level-10-0

These launch options have been known to help with some Steam Proton issues.

If you are still having issues, you can try accessing the legacy native Linux version of ARK. To do this, right-click on the ARK game in your Steam Library and select "Properties".

From there, go to the "BETAS" tab and select "legacylinux" from the drop-down menu. This will give you access to the legacy Linux version

Edited by freddiec341

Thanks for the response-- unfortunately all of these suggestions produced the same result: The only visual I see is that the Vulcan shaders are created.  The music then starts up as if the game is running, but the main menu never appears.  Same story when I run the native Linux version.   Is there a log file that might be helpful?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am using Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy

I am unable to get the game to launch at all. When i click the play button it asks me to pick a launch option. I pick either with or without Battleye and it processes vulkan shaders. After it finishes nothing happens and the play button returns green again. I am unable to find any crash logs as I don't think its even getting that far.

I have tried Proton versions 7, 8 and experimental and the linux native beta. All behave the same.

I used to be able to play the game on this machine over a year ago, but sadly it broke after some steam update and I eventually uninstalled it to free up space. I was curious if the game was now playable again and spent the whole day downloading the 190GB and installing it to find it is still broken.

I have been searching for solutions and have tried various launch options people have used to get the game to run, but none I found have worked.

Any troubleshooting tips would be great.

my system

Intel Core i7-2600K

NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia v: 535.113.01

16GB RAM

UPDATE

After 3 days of tinkering I finally got it to work. It turned out to be the external drive I was using was formatted as FAT32. After reformatting it to EXT4 it started working. The only weird thing is the loading screens are just a colour test pattern with a box of static noise on the lower corner.

I have only tried Proton 7 so far, so maybe a different Proton version will fix the loading screen? I really am sick of tinkering at this point so I am ignoring it for now and just want to play the game for a while before I attempt fate and make it worse by trying to fix it.

Edited by MrSnoodle
update information

• 2 months later...