I’m new to all this and in need of help

MartySmokes420

Yeah I get that but how fiddle with anything if I have no knowledge of what’s going on and then to make matter worst everytime I’m trying to explode and I’m yelling into my mic friendly and they still kill me this game is stupid and toxic so I’m probably just going to delete it bc if I can’t get help in game or I can’t run by someone base just trying to get around the map and learn without dying how am I going to play at out but I thank everyone that did try to help 

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, MartySmokes420 said:

Yeah I get that but how fiddle with anything if I have no knowledge of what’s going on and then to make matter worst everytime I’m trying to explode and I’m yelling into my mic friendly and they still kill me this game is stupid and toxic so I’m probably just going to delete it bc if I can’t get help in game or I can’t run by someone base just trying to get around the map and learn without dying how am I going to play at out but I thank everyone that did try to help 

This game has a very steep learning curve. And yes you will get recked non-stop on a PVP server.

I would try to play solo for a bit until you get used to the basics of the game. I have been playing solo for over 2 years, lol. There is a lot to do on your own. One earlly tip...make and learn how to use bolas. Get good with a bow early on. That sounds stupid, but the mechanics of Ark archery are far different than that of say...Shadow of Mordor and Horizon Zero Dawn. I was very discouraged with the bow at first and avoided bows and bolas for a long time. It really held me back.

If you must PVP, find a friendly private server that has good admin. I think, and I have no intention of plugging anyone in particular, but I think Aaron Longstaff hosts PS4 servers that might be a good start.

4 hours ago, MartySmokes420 said:

Yeah I get that but how fiddle with anything if I have no knowledge of what’s going on

There are lots of youtube videos oriented towards new players to help you understand enough to get started.

Bear in mind, this is a survival game which means that at first it can be hard. We an all sympathize with the fact that they don't make it easy for new players to get started, so let's look at some options.

1) Play in single-player mode until you get the hang of things. When you play in single-player you have the ability to use admin commands to do some extra stuff that you can't do on the Official servers, which lets you make up for getting beaten up by the game. The only issue here is that you have to make sure you don't get too dependent on the admin commands. As soon as you feel like you're getting the hang of the game you want to stop using them, otherwise they become a crutch and they can be over used, which isn't really playing the game.

2) Play on a PvE server. You'll still have to deal with animals killing you, but it's much easier than PvP. The biggest problem in PvE is finding a location to start building your first base. PvE servers are heavily built up and while it won't be obvious to you at first there are good reasons why people claim pieces of land. Also, on PvE servers you're much more likely to get help & advice from other players, and you'll even sometimes find boxes of supplies that experienced players leave for new players like yourself to be able to pull some stuff from. You may even find buildings that people build as safe housed for new players.

3) PvP is brutal and frustrating, nothing you do or say will change this. Some people just kill anyone they see because they feel it makes them safer, others just like killing people because they think it's fun & funny. We could spend all day talking about the reasons why people kill you when they don't have to but that discussion doesn't matter. The bottom line is that they're going to kill you, going to kill your dinos and going to wreck your stuff, that can't be avoided.

and then to make matter worst everytime I’m trying to explode and I’m yelling into my mic friendly and they still kill me

Yup, that's how PvP in ARK works. One of the reasons people do this is that PvP in ARK is fully destructive, no one wants to have their base destroyed and the best way to prevent that from happening is to kill/destroy anyone who even has the potential to be a threat. Look at it from their perspective - you're someone they've never seen before and no matter what you're yelling in the mic you might be lying. You might be a really good player who's trying to trick them until you can get into a position to kill them and destroy their stuff. No one wants to be nice to someone who turns around and wrecks them later. It's not that people in ARK PvP are necessarily worse than in other games, it's that PvP in ARK is different than most games and this causes people to behave differently. The people who play PvP in ARK are mostly people who like the fact that it's super brutal.

this game is stupid and toxic

For the reasons discussed above it's not "the game", it's trying to play PvP in the game when you're new an inexperienced. PvP is really not for new people, you want to try single-player or PvE.

so I’m probably just going to delete it bc if I can’t get help in game or I can’t run by someone base just trying to get around the map and learn without dying how am I going to play at out but I thank everyone that did try to help 

ARK can be hard at first, no question about it, but you will have much better experiences if you start with single-player or PvE.

• 5 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 8:19 PM, MartySmokes420 said:

On 7/8/2022 at 8:33 PM, MartySmokes420 said:

So what should I do guys 

just a little clarification for you (because I guess you don't know the difference between the different modes yet):

- first of all, on the Ark home screen you will notice that you can choose between Enter Ark or Local Host, when we talk about "single player" we are referring to the "Local Host" option which will let you play alone (or split screen) in " "not online"" so you won't meet anyone other than yourself and you can learn serenely and at your own pace.

- the other section instead allows you to enter Ark Online where you will find further sub-categories/modes, you can choose the Server categories from the menu at the bottom left and they are: Official, Dedicated, Non-dedicated, Legacy, Procedural each with its own list of available Servers (I won't go into detail but each category differs in many ways); while the two available Modes can be selected at the top right and are: PVP (players against other players and against wild dinosaurs) or PVE (players cannot to damage other players and their dinosaurs and structures, so you play only against animals and game bosses), this PVE mode is the one we are recommending if you choose to play online right away instead of starting off alone offline.

In PVE Servers many people are always willing to help new players and also to make new and lasting friendships, very easily you will find someone who helps you understand how the game works and even give you some small items or initial clothes.

The PVP world is completely different precisely because it is specially made to fight mercilessly against other players at every possible moment. ARK is a very addictive game but PVP is certainly ruthless with those who start alone, that's why we are all recommending you to start in PVE or Single Local to get to know this fascinating world of Ark.

PS: in the initial screen at the bottom right there is an additional "Primitive Plus" mode which is basically the same thing but with slightly different objects and some mechanics, everything written above also applies here, I wrote it just for information .

Ok, now take courage and let us know which Server you will choose...maybe you will find some of us here ;)

On 7/8/2022 at 11:33 AM, MartySmokes420 said:

So what should I do guys 

Get good. That's literally all you do. Play singleplayer PvE until you can survive more than 10 minutes without getting mauled, and then maybe (maybe) join a pve server. Once you've had some experience with that, then you can "graduate" to a pvp server. Or not. I personally enjoy singlplayer, since it's your game, your rules. No one else is telling you what you can and can't do.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:51 PM, MartySmokes420 said:

Idk if this is the right place to post this but I’m trying to give this game a fair shoot but I keep being killed by Dino’s and players so I’m on the verge of just deleting it and giving up but it looks really cools so can someone help I’m ps4 if that has anything to do with it too

If you are truly this new to the game, I "strongly" urge you to try single player mode first. Yeah, no one else is there to help you, but then again, no one is there to harass you either. On top of that, it feels much more like a true survival game.

Simply go to the very first starting menu, go into "HOST/LOCAL", and press the start button.....Granted, there might be some settings that you might want to adjust later, but this will get you into your single player game and you can get a feel on how the game plays out without the evils of human society. :P

• Volunteer Moderator

Most of us old timers never used single player for anything more than testing.

Just start up a game in PVE if you like looking for a place to build or PVP if you like some clown killing you with a lvl 450+ dino every 10 minutes. 

Get out there and enjoy it while Ark 1 lasts. Have fun.

4 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Most of us old timers never used single player for anything more than testing.

Just start up a game in PVE if you like looking for a place to build or PVP if you like some clown killing you with a lvl 450+ dino every 10 minutes. 

Get out there and enjoy it while Ark 1 lasts. Have fun.

this post was from july joe.......they got me too tho. :P 
Also, so says you. I still cannot get online due to wildcards excessive security. The "only" way I can play this game is in single player. :(

Archived