fanfiction A Beach Bob's Guide to Fjordur

Griffin998

So, you want to start surviving on Fjordur. Good! Fjordur pulls no punches. It'll throw cold at you, vicious predators out for your blood, and so much more. This is your guide to surviving on Fjordur (FYI-this is only for PvE, pvp is not my forte).

STEP 1: Get up to the thatch hut asap. Get yourself a pick, an axe, and lots of extra spears. Also unlock the campfire on the way, because it'll be helpful in surviving Fjordur's deathly nights. Level fortitude and health until you get up to around 25-30 fortitude, which should be good for the time being.

STEP 2: Once you get up to the thatch hut, make a 2x1 thatch hut, which is all you will need for the time being. Immediately place a campfire in the corner away from the door, so you don't kill yourself by accident. Place a storage box and a sleeping bag near it. You can upgrade to the simple bed later.

STEP 3: NEVER go out at night unless you have fairly high fortitude and at least a set of hide armor. You can get hypothermia, even with this set of equipment and levels. If the cold doesn't kill you, the dark will. You won't see any approaching predator until it's too late, as I learned when I was assaulted late at night by a giga.

STEP 4: Tame some kind of travelling tame early on, such as a parasaur or raptor. An Andrewsarchus would be preferable, but you may need a pteranodon to reach them, as they live in some fairly high-up cliffs. You can walk there, but it will be a dangerous trek on foot, as Fjordur's landscape is fraught with dangers, including the cold, predators, and high cliffs. If you can't find either, a Deinonychus will work-just beware of their bleed and pack bonus when stealing eggs. A lone Deinonychus will be able to run away from essentially any threat, and a good pack will be able to take on just about anything that blocks you. A flyer would be key, as they don't have to worry about cliffs and predators. 

STEP 5: Establish a secure base, such as in one of the castles, since you don't need perimeter walls. One of the castles I know has easy access to water in the form of a water vein, on which you can place a well and take advantage of Fjordur's lush natural resources.

And that's all I have! If you guys have anything, make sure to post down below!

Good luck on your Fjordur adventures, and Happy ARKing!

• 3 months later...

Some time ago, I did a quick play through on this form of some different locations to get started. You are correct about the dangerous night when an Alpha Raptor showed up on the beach. Fortunately, it was bugged trying to eat a kill. By the glow it was giving off, I hit it with a bunch of stone arrows on a crossbow I found in a crate and killed it. Lots of good early on loot.

Here is my suggested starter guide;

To get started, select one of the easy locations in Vardiland or Vannaland, but not Vannaland North as you will quickly freeze to death if the wolves don’t get you first.

1. Quickly level up to 40 fortitude along with weight.

2. Get into hide armor as quick as possible.

3. Build a shelter before nightfall. Plan to stay put by a fire as you will quickly freeze to death without fur armor.

4. In several of the spawn locations, you will find ship wreaks. The crates and barrels will yield metal tools, scrap metal, cooked and spoiled meat.

5. Some of the smaller islands are free of predators larger then the spitters. You may want to craft a canoe and paddle to them to establish a base before you are wiped out by the numerous alpha creatures found on this map.

6. The Andrewsarchus, while very dangerous, is easily tamed using honey which can be found in stone formations and harvested with a pick. Just sneak up from behind, toss it a honey, and when it starts to eat it, get on it’s back to ride it. Just be aware that you will be taming it by playing a mini game while riding. Watch the red Rage Meter and hop off before it gets full or you will be thrown off and killed. Continue the feeding and riding until tamed. Like the Equuis, you can ride them without the armored minigun saddle that offers protection from radiation. They are also excellent swimmers.

7. The Desmodus Draculus, or giant vampire bat, can be found in many of the caves. Once you have the saddle, tame a low level one using blood packs. Once you have a tamed one, they will get you all of the blood packs and spoiled meat that you will ever need. A taming helper elixir can be crafted in their saddle from 200 blood packs. It will give a one time 30% boost to taming any knockout tame. Desmodus is one of the best fliers you could ever tame. With their ability to go sideways, they can even outmaneuver a wyvern’s ranged attack. It is the only flier that you can use in caves and in the other three realms without being dismounted. They can also let you see other creatures in infrared and go invisible in the dark.

8. The Fordhawk is one of the most frustrating passive tames you will ever get. They tend to fly around your head waiting for you to kill something for them to eat. Once tamed and riding on your shoulder, they will prove their worth by bringing all of your stuff back to you should you die or use the Fast Travel ability of a sleeping bag or bed. They can also detect dead and injured creatures for you.

9. A Fenrir Wolf is only obtainable by killing the end game boss. You cannot breed them.

10. Added to the map is the ability to teleport around the map and realms from any location. Holding the R key will bring up the teleport wheel. But be careful. There was a bug with using R that can dismount your Fordhawk at the worst possible moment such as when using R to reload your shotgun. Teleport was added so that the alpha tribe couldn't control access to the other rhelms by camping out at the teleport cave.

11. Runes, marked by a short red beacon, act as Explorer Notes. They will give you a rune stone and an XP boost. Ride your tame over them to both benefit from the XP boost.

12. Veggies can be found in some of the abandoned villages.

13. Many of the abandoned structures will not need foundations if you want to build in them.

14. Do gather from all of the drops. It is the only way that you are going to find the high level blueprints or high end fur gear plus tame an otter, to visit Jotunheim without freezing to death in less then a minute.

Enjoy.

Archived