Troodons-tiny nighty-night death lizards

Griffin998

What are your people's thoughts on these things? Are they useful at all, looking from a PvE and pvp perspective, or are they just a nuisance? I personally have been assaulted by them before when I was still a bob. They knocked me off, and also knocked me out, and then went after my parasaur. I went out on the stego later and killed them all, since it prevents dismount. I got all my stuff back. Also, thing is, this was in the broad daylight. Not even at night, when they go Super Saiyan mode.

1 hour ago, Griffin998 said:

What are your people's thoughts on these things? Are they useful at all, looking from a PvE and pvp perspective, or are they just a nuisance? I personally have been assaulted by them before when I was still a bob. They knocked me off, and also knocked me out, and then went after my parasaur. I went out on the stego later and killed them all, since it prevents dismount. I got all my stuff back. Also, thing is, this was in the broad daylight. Not even at night, when they go Super Saiyan mode.

They're usefulness is almost entirely PvP, any benefits they give you in PvE can be accomplished with dinos that are much easier to tame.

Having said that, PvE is so much less dangerous that PvP that I'm glad we have dino's that so many people hate, like troodons and ichthyornis. It's important that the game always needs to have at least some minimal threat level everywhere except the most newbie areas on the map. No one should ever feel safe walking through the Jungle on foot or on a small mount, that would be excessively safe. My take on annoying animals like troodons, ichthyornis and pegomastax is that they're necessary to prevent the game from becoming boringly easy.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Griffin998 said:

Fair. But then, Cnidaria spawn in Easy zone rivers on the Island. Rexes and Carnos on Fjordur. And troodons compared to those? No biggie :)

I'm thinking more along the lines of The Island and your basic starter bob beaches. Most people have some xp playing before they get to those other maps.

I started a basic run again a few weeks ago. I ran into one of them right off the beach. He knocked me out and then... just kept circling me. No other tames around to attack. He just kept knocking me out. Never trying to kill me. It was pretty funny actually.

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

It is about all they are good for on PvE. They shouldn't be in packs of 3 on the beach where bobs spawn. That's just dumb.

I agree with that... up to a point. There are various hostile species that spawn in the "easy" areas on almost every map, the troodon isn't the only problem.

Quick anecdote: I had an experience where I was inside of my wooden building on Cragg's Island, with the 3 overpowered dodo's I had just tamed, looking at my inventory when I heard fight music and destructive sounds, I looked up from my inventory to see an alpha raptor busting through my wall. That alpha raptor basically wrecked my small building, killed me, killed the dodos and then spend the next 30 minutes refusing to leave the area and killing me every time I tried to lure it away. I was never able to rescue the stuff off of my body, much less recover any of the materials I had built up in boxes inside the building.

Or, we could talk about what it's like to spawn in the "easy" areas on Scorched Earth & Aberration, both of those experiences are nightmare fuel for inexperienced players.

So, the question is not whether troodons are unfair where beach bobs spawn, it's whether the easy spawn points on any map should have a high risk of fatal threats. If you're ok with raptors, carnos or even ichthyornis (which can kill an inexperienced beach bob) in the easy areas then troodons are in the same category. Either "easy" should mean it's actually easy on every map, or it should mean that it's only easy for experienced players, but if you accept fatal threats in easy areas then (in my opinion) any species that creates a fatal threat to beach bobs should be considered equally on all maps, not just one species.

56 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I'm thinking more along the lines of The Island and your basic starter bob beaches. Most people have some xp playing before they get to those other maps.

I disagree with that statement. I think that most people start on whatever map is the newest, most current map whenever they buy the game. Well, let me amend that... probably most people know someone who recommended a specific map for them to start on or they're joining their friends on whatever map their friends are currently playing on, but for the purposes of this discussion we're talking about people who don't have prior knowledge and don't have friends to make recommendations. So to be a little more nuanced - if we look at people who don't have someone they trust to make a specific recommendation, then I think most of this category just starts on the most current map.

I've certainly found that to be true with people who I know personally even as far back as Scorched Earth when there were only three maps to choose from. To this day I laugh with a friend of mine who bought the game, started on SE his first day ever playing (when it was a brand new map), and a few days later his question to me was "How the **** is this game fun?"

Now I'm well aware that neither of us can prove which of those answers is true for "most" people, we could spend a lot of time trying to build a case from our respective anecdotal knowledge, really the point of me bringing this up is to suggest for your consideration that most new players have no idea which map was first, or which is the easiest, or which is the best for a new player. Heck, a lot of players don't even notice that the spawn zones have labels indicating how hard or easy they are on each map.

Which brings me back to my previous point, which is that almost all maps have threats in the easy/newbie areas, and it doesn't make sense to me to argue about which specific species is killing beach bobs vs. some other species. Either it's ok to have fatal threats to beach bobs in the easy areas or it's not, the discussion shouldn't be focused on which species is killing them.

• Volunteer Moderator
21 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Quick anecdote: I had an experience where I was inside of my wooden building on Cragg's Island, with the 3 overpowered dodo's I had just tamed, looking at my inventory when I heard fight music and destructive sounds, I looked up from my inventory to see an alpha raptor busting through my wall. That alpha raptor basically wrecked my small building, killed me, killed the dodos and then spend the next 30 minutes refusing to leave the area and killing me every time I tried to lure it away. I was never able to rescue the stuff off of my body, much less recover any of the materials I had built up in boxes inside the building.

The funny thing about this situation. You know this has happened to every single person at some point with this game. That's so funny. The dreaded beach alpha raptor.

The first time I saw it "why is this one glowing?". Destroys entire base. "Oh, ok".

18 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

"easy" areas on Scorched Earth & Aberration

Haha...no easy zones in any of those maps XD. Fjordur is pretty difficult too, what with the 30 degree cold at night. I needed a refining forge, campfire, and a 2x1 thatch hut before I was able to stop freezing. First priority is a house in Fjordur, along with a campfire.

On 6/30/2022 at 1:36 PM, Griffin998 said:

I tamed one up just to bug my sister with it as she hates those things, it did have some sort of weird scout ability thing, but honestly it was such a pain to tame, Id never do it again unless it was for the lolz.....Kinda like a compy. Why?

On 6/30/2022 at 3:51 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

I started a basic run again a few weeks ago. I ran into one of them right off the beach. He knocked me out and then... just kept circling me. No other tames around to attack. He just kept knocking me out. Never trying to kill me. It was pretty funny actually.

Lmao, I remember that happening to me as well.....took like 10 minutes before he finally killed me. Heck, I think dawn was breaking in the game just before he finally finished me off

On 6/30/2022 at 4:04 PM, DreamLeopard7059 said:

This might be dumb question what is pve

PvE is much freindlier, or at least its supposed to be......My main run online was in a PvE legacy server. A dude actually helped me tame a giga. I had forgot the narco.......well I didn't forget, but I wasn't used to the differences from solo to online. Wound up needing like 600 narco or something stupid before it was over. x.x

On 6/30/2022 at 5:11 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

The funny thing about this situation. You know this has happened to every single person at some point with this game. That's so funny. The dreaded beach alpha raptor.

The first time I saw it "why is this one glowing?". Destroys entire base. "Oh, ok".

me and mom tried to tame it, sadly Sizzler died >.<

On 7/1/2022 at 3:25 PM, wizard03 said:

me and mom tried to tame it, sadly Sizzler died >.<

Oof...R.I.P. Yeah, the beach alpha raptor is dreaded. I saw one hardly a dozen foundations from my little wooden spike walls base. Took the stego to finish it off. It didn't actually do too bad,although it had, like, a hundred health when we finished. After that, it even took out a sarco and a trike. Stegos are great for early game fighters.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, Griffin998 said:

Oof...R.I.P. Yeah, the beach alpha raptor is dreaded. I saw one hardly a dozen foundations from my little wooden spike walls base. Took the stego to finish it off. It didn't actually do too bad,although it had, like, a hundred health when we finished. After that, it even took out a sarco and a trike. Stegos are great for early game fighters.

The last TLC to the Stego made them quite good early game for sure.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:18 PM, wizard03 said:

Why?

Just for kicks. I remember one situation where I had a pack of troodons kill me and my parasaur. I took the stego out to finish them off too, because I did not need to get dismounted again. Also, the stego was hardly level 80 after being tamed and levelled. I have to get myself a high level sometime...

9 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

9 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

The last TLC to the Stego made them quite good early game for sure.

I have to agree, stego seems op at first, but then later in the game, you really start to get a feel as to how well the stego can be but also thank the heavens that it is as good as it is. 
Harvesting is good, even without the weight reduction. Damage reduction means it can tank many normal creatures. And if you work on health, you could tank a fair large amount of damage from any large to huge creatures. Lastly you can feed them cakes to keep them in the fight even longer......I would not be surprised if you could do a gamma gigapithicus or Brood mother with nothing but steggos loaded with cakes and their health and melee leveled with an imprint. No mutations. 

Archived