Onychonycteris TLC Update Idea - MonstersHunters

MonstersHunters

Suggestion

TLC Update for Onychonycteris

When we look at the various species of mammals in Ark, one of the very first that becomes underlooked and is kind of shamed half the time by the community, is the Onyc or Onychonycteris. This species of Eocene bat is most of the time considered in quotes “useless” as there really isn’t many needs for it after the addition of the Desmodus. Alongside this, the species in Ark is not similar at all to the species it is based off of, in appearance, attributes and abilities. Rather than some depicted swarming and aggressive cave dweller, the Onyc should be a forest and swamp dweller, gliding and fluttering through the foliage, a solitary and/or cooperative species very similar in behaviour to Old World Bats and/or Fruit Bats, not Vampire Bats and modern or present day New World Bats. This is why my team and I have suggested a TLC update for this creature and what it should have for abilities and a complete overhaul of every characteristic. 

For my next creature suggestion, my team and I have found a small extinct and prehistoric species of Bat that can follow the swarming, non-rideable, viral caring and completely aggressive mentality that Wildcard tried to go with for the Onyc, but to make it very different from the Desmodus and my next species. The Onyc will no longer be the species we see in the caves of the Arks, but rather a completely changed flying mammal.

(Updated Version of Dossier for TLC)

Common Name:
Onyc

New Suggested Name for Species: Onychonycteris tapraomou (“Clawed Bat of the Lush Lands”)
Old Name for Species: Onychonycteris specuncola (“Cave Crawler”)

Time: Eocene Period

Diet: Insectivorous (Old Dossier - Omnivorous)

Temperament: Neutral
(Aggressive if Attacked)

Tameable: Yes

Rideable: Yes (Old Dossier - No)

Breedable: Yes

Torpidity Immune: No
Taming Method: Passive
Preferred Kibble: Simple Kibble
Preferred Food:  Chitin
Equipment: “Onyc" Saddle (Level 38)
Rider Weaponry: Yes
Humans Can Carry: No 

Anatomy

When looking at the Onyc’s anatomy and characteristics. The first detail that should be acknowledged when making a TLC for the Onyc, is the controversial topic that is echolocation. Unlike other bats. The monospecific genera that is Onychonycteris is considered and speculated with the concept that the genus didn’t evolve the adaptation to use echolocation. Studies have found that bats or the Order Chiroptera learned flight before echolocation. This means that rather than making the species found on the Ark to have this ability, my team and I’s concept for this creature would be to separate it away from Desmodus draculae. The Onyc should follow the principle of not having echolocation. This means that it could act more similar to Old World Bats such as Flying Foxes and/or Fruit Bats, rather than New World Bats such as the traditional Vampire Bats found in South America. 

With the evidence, though. Both studies counteract each other, and some say that both forms of evidence are from a “pancake fossil” that makes it uncertain what the animal’s actual bone structure and configuration was actually like. The only information that we can use towards speculation is the simple cochlea of Onychonycteris finneyi that specifies or slightly confirms that the Onyc was incapable of echolocation. This is due to the cochlea or the “part of the inner ear involved in hearing” wouldn’t be capable of allowing the high frequency sound pulses or waves in the form of ultrasounds that pass through the nose or mouth. The bat then uses its ears to listen for an echo or for the waves to bounce off of an object or another organism. An ability that has been found incapable in the Onyc with the design of its cochlea.

The next detail would be in its paleobiology and the environment it once called home. Onychonycteris finneyi is from the Green River Formation in modern day Wyoming, Utah and Colorado, USA where it lived alongside other bats such as Icaronycteris index, the boa Boavus (Boavus idelmani), Meniscotherium, the primate Notharctus, the crocodilian Borealosuchus and stingrays such as Asterotrygon. This indicates that while these bats lived in a temperate and semi-tropical climate that was warm enough to support crocodile lizards, stingrays, catfish, crocodilians and palm trees, the formation housed various unique species that lived in this environment. Indicating that while the Onyc’s on the Ark live in the caves of various maps such as the Island for example. The Onyc’s should live in and around swamps, semi-tropical, temperate and warmer biomes in and around mountain ranges (due to the intermountain lakes and basins that make up the formation along the Uinta Mountains). While this goes against its scientific name in Ark, this is a secondary detail that could be used towards making the Onyc more distinct and unique when compared to other flying mammals and to other species that belong to the Order Chiroptera in Ark Survival Evolved and possibly in Ark 2.

When it comes to flight, the Onyc should have a different flight behaviour due to the species long hind limbs and its much shorter wings that resulted in the Onyc lacking the aerodynamic equivalents among known bats, resulting in the aerofoil contributing to an alternating fluttering and gliding flight style, unlike the flying style present in the Ark species. This is considered the “evolutionary intermediate” between powered flight and gliding. Also the Onyc should bring a new form of climbing and/or gripping to surfaces, walls and trees in its surroundings due to its peculiar five claws on its fingers rather than the standard two or three in known species. 

The next detail after that, should be in appearance. While the species found on the Ark is modified and different from the reference material, O. specuncola or O tapraomou (my teams suggested name for the species) should have an appearance similar, but not exactly like that of its relative and possible ancestor. First of all, the Onyc currently in Ark is lacking more wing membranes around its tail and back hind legs, and has a face and body that are very similar to that of the sub family Desmodontinae or Vampire Bats. Instead, flying foxes or fruit bats and even flying squirrels can be used as the model for this species of flying mammal as the Onyc isn't exactly a “true” bat, but rather the between of known bats and other flying mammals. Resulting in many speculative representations presenting a depiction similar to a cross between these examples, for example:

Yi3jmT4DEQ5EiGlSmDsjeEWpQCVdFJ3IxWNRrleY9eDtqpakfvRe6be_64gGy2YjYPMTXsom2b9L5AZWnF2przKqxUHad9PQo9m2pbtNv8i1TTnpdpvEq09UKVlgZ0TvFlR5G4TFwhGefHeh0Q

Onychonycteris | Dinopedia | Fandom
dinopedia.fandom.com

and/or

cFAgJovoKcFE9f8EkEJj7EQcJUIaRlsKmyoRfR6zTFUFRLujcMHsOALhiFPrsDEIacpYASo9TklqL93mOOaWst2OVjLMbk9Q2kdTtzAaHxEUJTsPuh5tHmkQW2fSa0_HFo75N9Xwm36BaheOqA

Ancient 'Clawed Bat' Reveals Clues to …|
westerndigs.org

Rather the current model and design has a nasal cavity and ears similar to leaf nosed bats, large fangs that could be used for impaling and slicing into prey, only four fingers (one of the fingers is possibly connected between both fingers) on each pair of wings (which goes against the actual name behind Onychonycteris which means “clawed bat” referring to its five clawed fingers) and a non-Eocene bat design, the Onyc could use an update to its design. Now my team and I are trying not to criticise Wildcard and their designs for Ark Survival Evolved, as many animals such as the Triceratops, Purlovia and Ankylosaurus all have similar characteristics and details similar to the species they are based off of. The Onyc in Ark doesn’t have any major characteristics similar to Onychonycteris finneyi, which is why my team and I are suggesting these ideas towards a TLC.

ZB3ddIcJXjQ4Rg3gGLGBAg67upFrxVHZEUDlRqq-S1ZuQBr3fknKjSz5LAxC_lu5gHaq1PzMbz2s2ejNjGxma-dhpDgNJJ6EDcmeSOHx4Z-TTyjarusRQKyebvJ_9br7nNlD3VjkZarXBhxVng

Onyc Encountering Tips | ARK: Survival …
dododex.com

Also the Onyc is speculated based on teeth remains and fossils that it was actually an insectivore, as the speculated and larger species in Ark. Is specified to feed on mosses and fungi in their surroundings alongside live prey which they swarm. However, the new species for this TLC would be insectivorous and be able to feed on different arthropods and invertebrates as an adaptation towards its environment and also towards adapting to different climates and biomes. Alongside this, the Onyc shouldn’t be able to carry Mega Rabies, as these bats aren’t hematophagous and/or don’t feed on blood like the vampire bats that the current Onyc in Ark is based on.

New Abilities

- Just like the Desmodus draculae, the Onyc can hang upside down as evidence shows that the feet of early Eocene bats allowed them to perform this hanging behaviour.

- The Onyc has an applied buff when attacking insects known as “Insectivorous Instinct” where the Onyc has a 25% increase in melee damage, a 25% decrease on incoming melee damage and the preventing of certain stuns such as the Lymantria’s spore defence mechanism and the Mantis leap attack and a 50% collection rate towards chitin, leech blood, organic polymer (from arthropods (insects) such as the Mantis) and black pearls.

- The Onyc is a natural bug repellent and any arthropods (arachnids, insects, trilobites and crustaceans) become deterred from these bats.

- The Onyc has a buff known as “Constricting Rage “ which is an increased buff of 75% attack damage towards snakes and serpents (primarily Titanoboa) in its natural environment (swamps, temperate forests and semi-tropical riverways). This is due to the possibility that the Boavus boa’s found in the Green River Formation that the Onyc is from, probably preyed and fed upon early Eocene bats such as the Onyc.

- The Onyc can be ridden and with it having a saddle with a built in chemistry table and has a slot that allows players to descend from the saddle via a grappling hook. The Onyc has a new landing position, can hold onto various types of textures in different environments, can have three players on its saddle and crawling features unlike other tames that allows the player these capabilities.

- The Onyc can and will manually switch from fluttering to gliding as a way of saving stamina, allowing for further travel and manoeuvrability.

- While the Onyc can’t echolocate, it has a diurnal (these bats are speculated to have hunted during the day) boost that gives off smell indicators of nearby prey and food sources.

- The Onyc is extremely intelligent and when imprinted has a 10% increase towards all stats.

- The Onyc has strong jaws and teeth towards breaking down the hard shells of the arthropods it feeds on, which allows for a blunt bite that can deal a moderate amount of damage if harmed or attacked.

Any suggestions and comments please reply below.

These are my team's suggestions, so all credit and all reference goes to them for the idea (s).

Thanks.

- MonstersHunters

References:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychonycteridae

https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/bats/batelocu

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bats/echolocation.htm

https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/tertiary/eoc/greenriver.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_River_Formation

1 reply to this server topic

When I first saw the name of the post, I was a little cautious, thinking "We already have Desmodus, why do we need an onyc tlc?". But then I actually read it, and sorta started to like the idea. The idea of onyc as a flying megatherium is a very interesting one, and also as a better travelling mount than Desmodus currently is (not saying it's not good-just that this onyc would be better). I like it!

Archived