Popular servers allowing more than 70 players again. BY design or defect?

GrumpyBear

Steam seems to be telling me that the Fjord server we on had over 83/70 players on it when I first tried to log on.   It went down to 79/70 when I left to run errands.  I get back, and now steam says 83/70 are on.

image.png.90c31c1b15e2b364e76fcaece6d006be.png

IS this a bug or just how WC figured they would solve 'the not enough servers for the new map' problem?

• Volunteer Moderator
26 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

Steam seems to be telling me that the Fjord server we on had over 83/70 players on it when I first tried to log on.   It went down to 79/70 when I left to run errands.  I get back, and now steam says 83/70 are on.

image.png.90c31c1b15e2b364e76fcaece6d006be.png

IS this a bug or just how WC figured they would solve 'the not enough servers for the new map' problem?

That number is not accurate. If you want an accurate number, look at the number displayed in-game. The number displayed on the Steam browser does not decrement players that left the server through an obelisk/transmitter. Moreover, that number does not take into consideration EGS players and a server may be full although it appears not to be, etc.

3 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

Maybe there are 12 admins on that server - using the PlayersJoinNoCheckList.txt file 🙂

lol, funny.   I think it's more likely that players coming from Epic launcher are not being counted by in game browser as well as on battlemetrics since epic doesn't allow the data to be scraped like steam does.   But the moment I"m actually interacting with the server to join, the server is giving steam the real # of users on the server and so steam and or the game won't let us get in the game.   It would seem that, if that is the case, there's a buffer they allow the server to go over as long as they are coming from the epic launcher.  Steam users on the other hand do not have that flag and can't make the server go over.

Then again, I could be totally over-analyzing it and it's just a bug.  Totally innocent , no big deal...other than the fact I had 2/3 baby demodius die from not being claimed yesterday because of htis, and  i can't get on to imprint my bat baby now, the one that survived.

5 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

That number is not accurate. If you want an accurate number, look at the number displayed in-game. The number displayed on the Steam browser does not decrement players that left the server through an obelisk/transmitter. Moreover, that number does not take into consideration EGS players and a server may be full although it appears to not be, etc.

I would disagree with this, I have just been watching this window for the last 2 hours.   The # on the left has gone from 83 starting, down to 78, and then now up to 84.   It would seem that it is deincrementing it .   Maybe that's only the epic side that is actually keeping track, but if that's the case, why is only epic keeping good tracking, but steam not?

And trying when the # went down 5 users, at no point was I able to manually get in.  Its been over 2.5hrs now since I started trying.  

Additionally*** - I can see every name that shows being logged into the game w/ this steam window that generates using battlemetrics connect button.  I can count every username and match it to the # the ingame browser and battlemetrics lists.  SO if that # is 61/70 which it is now, I have all 61 names accounted for.  I Know for fact there are epic players on this server, so it clearly has more players than 61.  

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, GrumpyBear said:

I would disagree with this, I have just been watching this window for the last 2 hours.   The # on the left has gone from 83 starting, down to 78, and then now up to 84.   It would seem that it is deincrementing it .   Maybe that's only the epic side that is actually keeping track, but if that's the case, why is only epic keeping good tracking, but steam not?

The server does not tell SMS when a player leaves the server through an obelisk/transmitter. It's always been the case, and is nothing new. I've seen servers with over 150 players that I were able to connect and the real amount of players was properly displayed in-game because that data comes from the query, not SMS like on the Steam browser.

1 minute ago, GrumpyBear said:

Then again, I could be totally over-analyzing it and it's just a bug.  Totally innocent , no big deal...other than the fact I had 2/3 baby demodius die from not being claimed yesterday because of htis, and  i can't get on to imprint my bat baby now, the one that survived.

Pro tip: keep an unclaimed Maewing with food in its inventory and it will feed unclaimed babies.

1 hour ago, GrumpyBear said:

I can't guarantee that Invincible is right, but I can tell you this - on my private server I have seen many times when the in-game player count on the Join window and the Steam Servers window player count don't agree, and the in-game player count is always the correct number.

A typical scenario is that I've logged in expecting to find ## of players, used the "showmyadminmanager" command, and then saw that the count on Steam was wrong. But if I log off and look at the player count on the Join window from the game client it gives me the correct number. Obviously I don't do this every time, the number of people logged in isn't that important to me in a private server, but there have been times when I've been curious enough to double-check and every it's Steam that's giving the wrong number.

13 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

And trying when the # went down 5 users, at no point was I able to manually get in.  Its been over 2.5hrs now since I started trying.  

Additionally*** - I can see every name that shows being logged into the game w/ this steam window that generates using battlemetrics connect button.  I can count every username and match it to the # the ingame browser and battlemetrics lists.  SO if that # is 61/70 which it is now, I have all 61 names accounted for.  I Know for fact there are epic players on this server, so it clearly has more players than 61.  

The in-game number is the accurate number, at least on consoles.
We use the in-game number to advice ally members in when to hit the join. Often the number in the server list does not even show the highly desired magical 69. When we see it in-game, it is usualy followed by 3~6 people joining the ARK so we are back to 75.

In short: The check on the cap mechanic is not perfect.

9 hours ago, MMaas said:

The in-game number is the accurate number, at least on consoles.
We use the in-game number to advice ally members in when to hit the join. Often the number in the server list does not even show the highly desired magical 69. When we see it in-game, it is usualy followed by 3~6 people joining the ARK so we are back to 75.

In short: The check on the cap mechanic is not perfect.

The reason I was thinking it's more complicated is because the steam client players and epic client players are actually sharing servers.   Steam allows scraping of data by 3rd parties which enables battlemetrics to harvest that data and serve it up to us in visually engaging experience.   Epic does not allow this data scraping, which leads to servers that come up 59/70 but are still inaccessible. 

This is because the other 11 slots are full of epic players.  My worry was that they were allowing them a queue to get in the servers to reduce the bad experience for them.  But that queue would have ignored the overall client connection limit giving Epic players less pushback on getting into the servers and making it impossible for steam users at that point to get in until the overage dissipated .

If I'm understanding our fearless Volunteer Moderator here, the correct player count is not updating when steam players send their characters off the server to another one  This leads to the data that is being scraped to be incorrect and not updating.  When I was seeing the # go up and down, it was just reflecting the Epic players and steam players who were just logging out of the servers leaving their chars behind.  It still wasn't updating the portion of the client connected # that was dead weight in the data.

@Thekuervito illustrated exactly what I was worried about happening again.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:42 PM, GrumpyBear said:

Steam allows scraping of data by 3rd parties which enables battlemetrics to harvest that data and serve it up to us in visually engaging experience.   Epic does not allow this data scraping, which leads to servers that come up 59/70 but are still inaccessible.

Just thought the server was the gatekeeper that keeps coun, no matter what Epic or Steam do. Battlemetric should have nothing to do with that.
But then again, it's ARK we're talking about...

Archived