Community Crunch 321: EVO Event, Community Corner, and More!

StudioWildcard

43 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Virtue signaling.

These days, everyone has to know how everyone else thinks about absolutely everything.

It's exhausting quite frankly.

Virtue signaling is detrimental to businesses. Why have they not figured this out yet? Or maybe they have and they just don't care. Picking a side politically alienates roughly half of your customer base. In doing so, you're making about 50% cheer and applaud while causing the other half to serious reconsider giving you their money because in doing so, they may be financially supporting causes they abhor. And you divide the community you've worked hard to build.

It's hard for me to even look forward to playing the Ark DLCs I've already purchased.... forget about purchasing any more. Unless Wildcard rethinks their actions and acknowledges their mistake, there is no Ark 2 for me.

I've also had to unsubscribe from Syntac. He came out swinging for Wildcard on Twitter, telling people who question Wildcard's decision to "shut your mouth" and "get back to your corner"... The guy is in Ireland talking crap about America and Americans regarding an American issue he clearly knows nothing about.

And in the end, the actions of these foolish actors will have changed nobody's mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2022 at 8:04 PM, Cyberra said:

...What about Summer Bash? Shouldn't it be starting soon? Or are you going to take the event away from us now, in the last year of events, so we won't have a chance of getting the colors/new chibis/items? I hope this is just either a neglect to mention or a delay, not an outright cancellation, because that's not fair to us. There isn't going to be another chance

Calm down.

Summer Bash in 2019 didn't start until July 2nd. 2020 and 2021 lasted 3 weeks, so we'll probably get the announcement this Friday and have it run for nearly all of July.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pushforth said:

I've also had to unsubscribe from Syntac. He came out swinging for Wildcard on Twitter, telling people who question Wildcard's decision to "shut your mouth" and "get back to your corner"... The guy is in Ireland talking crap about America and Americans regarding an American issue he clearly knows nothing about.

And in the end, the actions of these foolish actors will have changed nobody's mind.

Could you post a link to this tweet/post of his? I'd like to see this for myself.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

Edited by TimeBomb2003

1 hour ago, pushforth said:

Virtue signaling is detrimental to businesses. Why have they not figured this out yet? Or maybe they have and they just don't care. Picking a side politically alienates roughly half of your customer base. In doing so, you're making about 50% cheer and applaud while causing the other half to serious reconsider giving you their money because in doing so, they may be financially supporting causes they abhor. And you divide the community you've worked hard to build.

It's hard for me to even look forward to playing the Ark DLCs I've already purchased.... forget about purchasing any more. Unless Wildcard rethinks their actions and acknowledges their mistake, there is no Ark 2 for me.

It's just like what I said earlier in this comment section yesterday.

I don't believe bringing employee, leadership, or customer political virtue signaling stances is a good idea into game communities. no matter the good intent, because it can incite political offense and upset to anyone in said communities who come across this stuff and spread that aggression anywhere within.

There's always a right and wrong time and place for anybody's personal political stance to be heard. But I don't believe game communities are that right place at anytime.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

[prohibition]

"The action of forbidding something, especially by law."

(Blank space)

In terms of alcohol, I'm not too versed in that subject, but my understanding is that the idea is that alcohol, between the years of 1920 and 1933, was completely banned in terms of creation, sale, and consumption. If that is truly what the act of prohibition is, banning something completely, then yes, applying that same action to abortion, would seem like a good idea. What is obtuse however, is the idea of comparing consumption of a not so dangerous drug to the action of ending a child.

Wow, it's almost as if you glossed over the "in this context" bit. You know, the bit that points out that in that particular circumstance it was referring to something specific, that bit?

As for the prohibition era it turned out to be an absolutely awful idea for two reasons: One, it allowed various criminal organizations that still persist today to really take off and gain power by smuggling or brewing alcohol because surprise surprise some people like being drunk. Two, droves of people severely poisoned or harmed themselves with the drinking or production of hooch that was brewed by people who did not know what the sweet blue hell they were doing and was neither prepared nor proofed properly. If similar measures are applied today I highly doubt we'll see the Abortion Mafia running some underground network of fetus snatching, but you better believe that we'll see a repeat performance of that second issue as people turn to unqualified individuals to solve their dilemma. 

4 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Virtue signaling.

These days, everyone has to know how everyone else thinks about absolutely everything.

It's exhausting quite frankly.

It used to be that opinions were like arseholes and everyone had one. Now it's opinions are like arseholes after a run in with Taco Bell; like or not you're going to find out the contents of them.

• Volunteer Moderator
22 minutes ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

It used to be that opinions were like arseholes and everyone had one. Now it's opinions are like arseholes after a run in with Taco Bell; like or not you're going to find out the contents of them.

I've always liked 'Opinions are like aresholes, everyone has one and most of them stink.'

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 4:40 PM, SaayaLaLa said:

I am proud of WC for supporting Roe V. Wade. It helped stop a lot of deaths from pregnancies that were unsafe (atopic) or forced pregnancies. SCOTUS has lost it's direction, but I'm glad a lot of people understand the honest hardship of having no choice versus having a choice. Those who want to force women to carry in this era don't seem to understand why some of us carry a metal coat hanger and say "We won't go back". No wonder some of my fellow players in Europe called and asked if I wanted to move yet :(.

I'm gonna call BS on that, almost all of Europe is less liberal than the US on abortion, most of them have abortion bans around 10-20 weeks. Roe v Wade's overturn also do not make abortion illegal. It merely returns it from a federal issue to a state level issue, where it was supposed to be in the first place. The federal government has no authority to legalize or illegalize abortion, Roe V Wade was a massive overreach of government power. And far as I know, all red states with existing or proposed abortion restrictions still make exceptions for things like atopic or forced pregnancies. And I suspect you aren't arguing for those abortions specifically, you're using them to argue for all abortions, which is pretty immoral

• Like 1

Came for news on Summer Bash, instead got political garbage. To comment on either side of one of the most controversial topics in the country is pretty ridiculous for a video game’s community website to do. It provokes division and heated debate. Hence the vitriol in the comments. Please don’t force feed me politics in a video game forum. Many people play video games to escape from that kind of crap, myself included. I don’t care which side of the debate you’re on. My opinion is that it simply does not belong here. Politics has seemingly infiltrated every aspect of our lives. People obviously disagree on this topic. Why force that divide on this community? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 5:30 PM, ThatPat99 said:

I'm gonna call BS on that, almost all of Europe is less liberal than the US on abortion, most of them have abortion bans around 10-20 weeks. Roe v Wade's overturn also do not make abortion illegal. It merely returns it from a federal issue to a state level issue, where it was supposed to be in the first place. The federal government has no authority to legalize or illegalize abortion, Roe V Wade was a massive overreach of government power. And far as I know, all red states with existing or proposed abortion restrictions still make exceptions for things like atopic or forced pregnancies. And I suspect you aren't arguing for those abortions specifically, you're using them to argue for all abortions, which is pretty immoral

I think you are also missing my point. While yes the ruling returns the abortion legality to the states a lot of the governors are using religion to block abortions across the board. The people i spoke with in Europe are in countries that accept abortions. The Roe V. Wade ruling was to help stop the deaths from varies means of home abortion. They waited until RBG was dead to move on this. So call BS all you like and I will do the same, we don't have to like what the other is saying but it is what it is.

Edited by SaayaLaLa
forgot the y in they

I believe the biggest issue as far as legalizing it across the nation is the double standard of if someone commits homicide of a pregnant woman they are charge with 2 counts of homicide do to the life of the fetus being considered a life so its hard to say yeah its ok to make the decision yourself to terminate a pregnancy if it is also being held as a life so I feel it has to be all on one side of the fence no matter what side if it is seen as just a fetus and not a life anyone who looses their unborn child feels as there is no justice but if they say it is a life then they can't say abortion is ok because it is a life and then people argue its there body so I feel this issue is one of such conflict that it will never truly be resolved one way or the other

3 hours ago, Luizza said:

And also... while I'm annoyed, why have we got Russians playing on our servers?

My ukrainian friend who has played Ark for years will not come back onto official while they are there mocking her ppl. While civilians were attacked and died yesterday, as they were shopping, these players mocked my friend.

Steam needs to ban them from playing with the rest of us, Ukrainians should be free to play without them on WC servers. If you don't wanna do that WC, give them their own servers... away from us.

Banning someone purely for their nationality is beyond stupid. You're punishing some random guy for the actions of their country's leaders. Unless every single one of them are actively harassing your friend with anti Ukranian statements you've got nothing to stand on. As to the individuals actually doing it, report them for harassment. Trying for a blanket ban is just childish.

Edited by CosmicSkeleton
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

If you break into our country, you pay the price

This I'm actually inclined to agree with. One cannot willingly break a law and be surprised that punishment incurs regardless of how "arbitrary" the border may seem. Humans, as with virtually every territorial animal, have fought over imaginary lines in the sand for as long as they've been around. If anything while American treatment of those that illegally cross borders may seem harsh they're an absolute cakewalk compared to how some other countries would handle it. I invite anyone that disagrees to try walking from South Korea over to North Korea and seeing how it goes. To date only three people to my knowledge have done it and not been indefinitely detained in a cell, "disappeared", or openly rendered into chunky salsa with lead garnish.

--

I feel the need to point out that while the three that successfully did this weren't harmed it was because they defected from their military service and were more or less living in a gilded cage and used as a way to try and make the North Korean government seem less monstrous.

Edited by CosmicSkeleton

1 hour ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

Banning someone purely for their nationality is beyond stupid. You're punishing some random guy for the actions of their country's leaders. Unless every single one of them are actively harassing your friend with anti Ukranian statements you've got nothing to stand on. As to the individuals actually doing it, report them for harassment. Trying for a blanket ban is just childish.

Steam has already banned them from purchasing new games, microsoft have banned them from all games, there are sanctions in all areas of life already enacted - it's not a novel idea.

And yes, if I am online and manage to get a screenshot ofc you can bet I will report in a heartbeat, unfortunately I was not in this case.

2 hours ago, Luizza said:

Steam has already banned them from purchasing new games, microsoft have banned them from all games, there are sanctions in all areas of life already enacted - it's not a novel idea.

And yes, if I am online and manage to get a screenshot ofc you can bet I will report in a heartbeat, unfortunately I was not in this case.

It not being a novel idea does not then make it right to essentially steal from all of them. If a guy who's lived his entire life not hurting anyone suddenly gets a server he's paid to have up since ark's inception taken from him purely because of the place he was born in then that isn't justice, nor will it stop the war.