Community Crunch 321: EVO Event, Community Corner, and More!

StudioWildcard

Re: Abortion ruling -- I'm not from the US, but thank you for taking a strong, humanist stance in this matter. I'm grateful and feel a lot of respect for you speaking up. I'll be linking this article to friends as well. While my own country is currently taking steps to further de-mystify and decriminalize reproductive issues, it's terrifying to see what's happening over there. So again, thank you. I can assure you that this sentiment is shared by a lot of people from my circle who are not active commenters.

Re: Wiki -- I'd like to help, am just not tech savvy. Can one just become an editor and improve articles here and there casually, e.g. adding spawn links when missing? Great to see so much active effort going into the wiki. I'd like to fully switch to the official wiki but so far I've had to resort to the fandom one relaitvely often.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, HanchoChancho282 said:

second post i will not say what my view on this matter of abortion or gay rights  nor saying pro or no but i feel that as a company that it is not your right to put your views in a post and should just stick to the game news and related. this is also bothering me that u hve continued to done this as their are some who may find this offensive or they are to little to hear about this yet so if u could please dont put ur  views into this. i love ur game though. ty

The existence of people is not "expressing views." The existence of LGBTQA+ people is not political. The existence of people who need abortions is not political. LGBTQA+ people, people who have had abortions, so on, so forth, have always existed, even if historians erase them in your sanitized schooling. The people who want to stomp these minorities out, hide them, or are "uncomfortable" with/"offended" by them are the ones who make it political. You are the one making this a problem. Why do people existing upset you?

By the way, you might want to read the ARK Explorer Notes. They've supported all this "stuff" you "find offensive" since the beginning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

6 hours ago, Nyrin said:

Silence is assent or at least a "no contest," and anyone with a voice needs to speak up before that's taken away, too.

This. Thank you. If you are too busy (life is tough) or entertained (oh it's just a game) to speak up when other people's rights are removed, maybe they will do the same when it impacts you. And suddenly, no one will be able to speak up anymore, it will be too late.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

Why not just delete the "fandom" wiki?
In the meantime, I have changed all the reference links on my unofficial Japanese wiki (wikiwiki.jp/arkse/) to wiki.gg to notify people. However, from what I see on Twitter and youtube, it seems that the majority of people are still using it.

Edited by Kobayudon

Look, idk who is running wildcard now, but I'm so tired of politics. We don't play video games to hear about politics. I play video games to get away from politics, because I'm tired of hearing it, it divides the country and creates hate. 

Now I don't care if individuals Express their views, but as a dinosaur video game company, leave the politics out if it. You wrote a big article about political views that has nothing to do with your game but no information that people want, like summer bash details. 

Get your head out of politics and back in the game. We don't wanna hear it. 

Also, in case you haven't realized, you have fans Ann's players on both sides if the subject, catering to one side is a terrible business move. And look at thr division you have caused with all the arguing amongst ppl in the comments. Shame on you #wildcard

Edited by Zzz853
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Facepalm 3

11 hours ago, HanchoChancho282 said:

second post i will not say what my view on this matter of abortion or gay rights  nor saying pro or no but i feel that as a company that it is not your right to put your views in a post and should just stick to the game news and related. this is also bothering me that u hve continued to done this as their are some who may find this offensive or they are to little to hear about this yet so if u could please dont put ur  views into this. i love ur game though. ty

I bet you were quick on saying your employees needed the vaccination. Their body their choice?  Or when you agree with it?  How about donating to those military members who lost their jobs because they didn’t have a choice and chose not to get the shot that we know nothing about?  Put your money where your mouth is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nyrin said:

Thanks for chipping in on the reproductive rights dialog, Wildcard. It means a lot and the whiners make it really clear why it's important.

To those whiners: Ark is made by people. People care about things. At a rate even higher than the already large majority of the US electorate that wants Federal protection of reproductive rights, people who make games and tech things in general want women's bodily autonomy respected. If that makes you uncomfortable and you don't want to support the game, that's fine and that's your choice — just as it's theirs to speak out.

But while you're at it, be sure you aren't using a phone or the Internet, as Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and a great many others stand equally opposed to this appalling regression in women's rights (and erosion of due process that presages who knows how much more). You're quickly going to find a very scarce range of products to choose from as it turns out there aren't many people who think this is a good thing.

And that's why it's important that Wildcard and everyone else do their parts to speak up. Silence is assent or at least a "no contest," and anyone with a voice needs to speak up before that's taken away, too.

Over 50% of Americans, around 54%, don't believe abortion should be legal and even more disagree with RvW. Even CNN found that a majority of people are happy about overturning. Companies have been warned to keep their opinions to themselves about the case since every time they have spoken out in support they've seen a nose-dive.

I would take just as much issue if WC were to come out tomorrow and say they endorse Trump, or DeSantis or espouse any conservative view because it's not their place. A company cannot hold a political view. Individuals in a company can, but they are not a monolith. Most dissenters are going to be quiet in fear of losing their jobs or being ostracized by their coworkers and discriminated against by their employers. In the same way, women aren't a monolith too. Not even close to all women support abortion, especially all the way up to 9 months like some people seem to want when you look at the people running the party. 

This is not, and has never been about taking away choices. It's about protecting lives, which no matter what your opinion on the matter is, they are lives. Scientists have agreed on life at conception for years. We call single-celled organisms on mars life, but brand new DNA that determines everything from height to hair color to janky teeth, oh no, that can't be a life because that takes away my ability to end it. I understand peoples desire to protect women and their choices, but there are more than 1 choice to make, and 1 persons right to choose cannot be at the expense of another's life.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

The Federal government exists to protect the sovereignty of the nation, establish and maintain trade and diplomatic relations with foreign nations, maintain the common infrastructure between states, and enforce the rights codified in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights as well as laws passed by Federal lawmakers. Anything outside the purview of this should fall within the realm of the individual states to handle. Abortion is not a right found in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights or in any law passed by federal lawmakers to date.

The SCOTUS decision doesn't deny reproductive rights to anyone, it simply remanded the issue back to the individual states where it belongs. The Federal government is already demonstrably terrible at the things it should be responsible for and any decisions made by SCOTUS that limit or reduce Federal involvement in areas it has no business being involved with in the first place should only be seen as a good thing. There are still states where abortion is legal within their borders and nobody is being held prisoner in states that intend on regulating or outlawing it. People who find themselves in a position of not liking their particular state's stance on abortion can relocate to a state that aligns with their views, or they can band together with likeminded people and actually participate in in the legislative process to effect that kind of change in their state. 

It would be in the best interests for Studio Wildcard to stick to making video games and not preach politics to potential customers of ARK 2. Seriously, the propensity for CEOs to run their mouths about political issues while representing the company, and with zero regard for the risk of customer alienation and the damage to profitability that entails, never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Alysson said:

If you are too busy (life is tough)

A bit harsh to lump this group in alongside the people that just want entertainment with the "maybe people will do the same bit" don't you think?  There are times when the political sphere can genuinely need to take a backseat to ones personal issues. Lords knows if I were facing something like imminent homelessness or cancer the last thing on my mind would be a Supreme Court ruling unless it was directly linked to my housing or illness situation. Despite what the Nyrin said silence isn't necessarily assent; sometimes it's just a focus on other matters. Granted if that's the case the person in the hypothetical probably shouldn't be waffling about in game forums, but still.

• Facepalm 1

46 minutes ago, OdinDovah said:

. Scientists have agreed on life at conception for years. We call single-celled organisms on mars life,

Scientists quibble about this sort of stuff all the time dude. It's never been universally agreed upon what constitutes life in the gestational sense. Where extraterrestrial singlecelled organisms are concerned it's still kind of up in the air too unless we get definitive testing that can prove those microbes match all criteria for being considered life. It's just that in the latter case saying you found life on mars sounds better for netting research funding than going "we might've found something that maybe holds the qualities of life as we currently understand it". Eggheads gotta learn to word things good if they want papa gubmint to open his wallet.

Edited by CosmicSkeleton

• Volunteer Moderator
23 minutes ago, Hodir said:

The Federal government exists to protect the sovereignty of the nation, establish and maintain trade and diplomatic relations with foreign nations, maintain the common infrastructure between states, and enforce the rights codified in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights as well as laws passed by Federal lawmakers. Anything outside the purview of this should fall within the realm of the individual states to handle. Abortion is not a right found in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights or in any law passed by federal lawmakers to date.

The SCOTUS decision doesn't deny reproductive rights to anyone, it simply remanded the issue back to the individual states where it belongs. The Federal government is already demonstrably terrible at the things it should be responsible for and any decisions made by SCOTUS that limit or reduce Federal involvement in areas it has no business being involved with in the first place should only be seen as a good thing. There are still states where abortion is legal within their borders and nobody is being held prisoner in states that intend on regulating or outlawing it. People who find themselves in a position of not liking their particular state's stance on abortion can relocate to a state that aligns with their views, or they can band together with likeminded people and actually participate in in the legislative process to effect that kind of change in their state. 

It would be in the best interests for Studio Wildcard to stick to making video games and not preach politics to potential customers of ARK 2. Seriously, the propensity for CEOs to run their mouths about political issues while representing the company, and with zero regard for the risk of customer alienation and the damage to profitability that entails, never ceases to amaze me.

I'm pretty sure the Federal government exists to take my money and give it to people that didn't earn it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I'm pretty sure the Federal government exists to take my money and give it to people that didn't earn it.

All the more reason we should be cheering any and all reductions in the scope of what the Federal government is involved with. They even suck at implementing a fair and reasonable tax system, yet people demand that this same organization of epic suckage also be involved in issues of marriage, the bedroom, reproduction, etc..? It's like putting toddlers in charge of building a bridge and expecting the results to be satisfactory.

This is coming from someone who routinely gets shafted by the IRS annually. You wouldn't want my tax bills, trust me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with Game Studios being so political is it makes players like me, who firmly disagree with their stances, not want to buy their games anymore knowing that my money is going to help fund causes I abhor. With politics, especially today, it's an "us or them" mentality. When Wildcard makes posts like this, to people like me, Wildcard is positioning themselves as my opponent. How can I financially support my opponent?

The abortion debate is a long and tired one. Nobody will be convinced to change their mind, especially by a trivial thing such as a game developer. Wildcard is abusing their lines of communications to their customers/community.

Now, most of us see Ark 2 as dead on arrival already anyway... this just helps seal the deal. I can't hand money over to a political rival. Good going.

• Thanks 3
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, pushforth said:

The problem with Game Studios being so political is it makes players like me, who firmly disagree with their stances, not want to buy their games anymore knowing that my money is going to help fund causes I abhor. With politics, especially today, it's an "us or them" mentality. When Wildcard makes posts like this, to people like me, Wildcard is positioning themselves as my opponent. How can I financially support my opponent?

The abortion debate is a long and tired one. Nobody will be convinced to change their mind, especially by a trivial thing such as a game developer. Wildcard is abusing their lines of communications to their customers/community.

Now, most of us see Ark 2 as dead on arrival already anyway... this just helps seal the deal. I can't hand money over to a political rival. Good going.

Then don't Clearly your fight against someone who supports women's health care shows just how backwards you really are. You talk of 'us or them' mentality, it is the mentality of today so wake up and see the bigger picture.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, JRabbit said:

Then don't Clearly your fight against someone who supports women's health care shows just how backwards you really are. You talk of 'us or them' mentality, it is the mentality of today so wake up and see the bigger picture.

It's not about women's healthcare, it's about children's health and life. And this really isn't the place for companies or people to argue about it. I want everyone to enjoy playing my favorite game of all time. WC shouldn't be chiming in on this at all driving the community apart. I said before I'd have the same issue with them if they came out in support of overturning Roe. This community isn't about politics, it's about bloody dinosaurs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Facepalm 1