WATER!

Blackmagic9000

Hello you cheeky modest pelican who knocked my alpha dodo underwater to get h20 scrub lords

Today i wana understand the whole water tank more and the rumors i heard

Frist I'm hearing you can somehow get water without having to have a pipe that leads to water, if so how

The second being is whats the point of these water tanks even? To give your plants a X amount of time before the water goes dry? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

Hello you cheeky modest pelican who knocked my alpha dodo underwater to get h20 scrub lords Today i wana understand the whole water tank more and the rumors i heard Frist I'm hearing you can somehow get water without having to have a pipe that leads to water, if so how The second being is whats the point of these water tanks even? To give your plants a X amount of time before the water goes dry? Thanks!

Well we "USED" to be able to, right now Im dealing with the problem on Fjordur where the tanks are not collecting anything but rain water, and its only rained once every 4-5 days now......Im to the point of running a huge long ugly pipeline now. x.x And I had 4 tanks that "SHOULD" be collecting humidity or whatever it was
But yeah, there for a long spell, you could make a water flower tower.....More or less, run a straight pipe up, connect a + pipe and then on each end of the + add a tank. Run another straight pipe up, ect ect, till you think you have met your hydration needs. 

But I unno if it works still or not as with 4 tanks, I should have seen some gains in my tanks, but have not gotten anything. Ontop of that I have both tanks, stone and metal. x.x

12 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

Frist I'm hearing you can somehow get water without having to have a pipe that leads to water, if so how

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Water_Reservoir

1) "It can't be filled up by connecting it to irrigation pipes, but it automatically fills up during rain or snowfall."

2) "They can be filled up by condensed water without the use of rain or snow. Making it, in huge numbers, useful placement for Aberration (and scorched earth(needs to be confirmed) ) , seeing there is no rain on these maps, making it a water creating system without connected water."

Translation: They fill up quickly from rain & snow, or they will fill up slowly just by sitting there.

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Metal_Water_Reservoir

"and it fills very slowly from condensation at all times. It fills much more rapidly during rain or snowfall."

Translation: Same thing.

Two things you need to keep in mind.

1) Every time you drink from a water tap it uses 100 water from the water tank (or system of tanks). Even if you only "need" 10 water the game still removes 100 water from the tanks. So, if you're using tanks to condense water, which collects very slowly, you only want to drink when you're getting close to zero water in your character, otherwise you're wasting water from the tanks by using 100 at a time even if you don't need 100 to fill your character.

2) If you're going to irrigate crop plots by using tanks to condense water you need to build slowly and carefully. it's easy to place too many crop plots, drain your tanks, and then your crops die because you can't collect water fast enough. When you first place a crop plot the game will try to fill it completely, so you need to be aware of how much water is in your tanks before you place each new plot. Or, you can just place a bunch of them at once and then wait until they're full before you start planting crops. Also, once you have crops growing they will use water during the growing process, I don't remember the specific numbers or how to calculate how much water you need per crop plot per day, if you can't find that info then just make sure you increase your crop farm slowly so you can decide whether you need to add more tanks before adding more crop plots.

And again, every time you drink it uses 100 water, it's really easy to kill your crops because you've drained your tanks by drinking too often.

4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Translation: They fill up quickly from rain & snow, or they will fill up slowly just by sitting there.

The things is here, it doesnt fill up by just sitting there. I think maybe Wizard has the same issue, it doesnt fill up when its in rendered range, it only fills up from condensation when its out of render distance, thats what my experience tells me.

20 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

whats the point of these water tanks even?

If you have a green house ontop a mountain with ceilings over the crop plots and no irrigation piped in from a near river -your crops aren't going to get any water. That is unless tanks catch the rain and bring it indoors.

20 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

To give your plants a X amount of time before the water goes dry?

Yea basically, but I've got a garden that runs off tanks indefinitely. I also added a toilet and cooker for kibble, and it was the cooker that really made me want to add more tanks. So there's the people the plants the toilets the cookers, basically a good base just needs irrigation of some sort.

4 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

The things is here, it doesnt fill up by just sitting there. I think maybe Wizard has the same issue, it doesnt fill up when its in rendered range, it only fills up from condensation when its out of render distance, thats what my experience tells me.

When you say "here, it doesnt fill up" what do you mean by "here"? Do you mean you're playing on Official, Single-player, PC, Xbox, Unofficial... etc. Also what map or maps are you looking at this not working. Even the wiki says it needs to be confirmed on Scorched Earth.

I can say with certainty that it worked on our private server, PC Steam version, when we did Aberration, and it's currently working on Valguero, but of course I can't say whether it's working on all platforms, all maps, and all modes.

The wiki tells us how it's supposed to work, but of course that doesn't mean it's working as intended, hence my questions for you.

53 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

When you say "here, it doesnt fill up" what do you mean by "here"? Do you mean you're playing on Official, Single-player, PC, Xbox, Unofficial... etc. Also what map or maps are you looking at this not working. Even the wiki says it needs to be confirmed on Scorched Earth.

I always considered a glitch. The fact that water tanks (stone,metal) take up "condensated water" is there for a really, really long time. Even before official release, on official PC servers, when you would go out of the render distance of the watertanks (or log out), it would slowly fill up with water. Ive used this "glitch" on Scorched Earth, Island and Aberration. I think it really doesnt matter what map you are on...

I think that the wiki calls it "gaining water from condensating" and as intended because this is glitch was never fixed or even really adressed

5 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

I always considered a glitch. The fact that water tanks (stone,metal) take up "condensated water" is there for a really, really long time. Even before official release, on official PC servers, when you would go out of the render distance of the watertanks (or log out), it would slowly fill up with water. Ive used this "glitch" on Scorched Earth, Island and Aberration. I think it really doesnt matter what map you are on...

I think that the wiki calls it "gaining water from condensating" and as intended because this is glitch was never fixed or even really adressed

Whoops, I see now that I misinterpreted your previous post. When you said, "The things is here, it doesnt fill up by just sitting there." I interpreted that to mean "It doesn't work here" as in "it doesn't work on my server" or "it doesn't work on this map", but what you were really talking about was the point that they fill slowly when you're not in render range. So basically we should ignore my previous question because it was based on a misinterpretation of your post, sorry about that.

As for whether it's a glitch or working-as-intended, I have no idea. I can see your point, it might just be a bug with seniority. After this many years the only thing that matters is how it works and whether it works consistently on every map.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:21 PM, SunsetErosion said:

Interdasting! I didn't even think of that. o.o

But yeah, I spent a whole two in game days working on my base, and the tanks was stuck at 6. However it seemed like everytime I left to go to the river down the hills to get my own drink, and then came back, it would sometimes go up one or two ticks. I thought maybe it was working, but then it would never go back up while I was at base doing things.

Will test this tomarrow, I wanna tame up a r-thyla.

Interesting...I did not know about this hidden utility. And yes, water pipes do look really ugly, especially since they don't bend. I currently have a very disgusting looking weird pipe system at base camp in the Southern Islets apart from the Herbivore Island base, so maybe I'll think of using a reservoir instead on both places. I'm almost always out of render distance of the Southern Islets base, so it could be really useful there. Doesn't seem to rain a lot though...hm.

Anyway, good luck, and Happy ARKing!

12 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

18 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

On 6/26/2022 at 5:29 AM, MMaas said:

On 6/26/2022 at 12:34 AM, Pipinghot said:

On 6/25/2022 at 3:51 PM, RTGLoot said:

Sorry about spamming you all, but I have made a discovery!

You must indeed leave the area to get them to refill!!!
I left the area after checking the tanks, they was all empty, and attempted to tame a thylo, did not go to plan. So I left to get a mantis, did not go to plan, but I got a thorny dragon for wood, so hey. Backup plan I guess?
Once I came back, every single container was full. I had 1700 water in total.

Kinda of a weird backwards way of doing it I suppose, but yeah. Filled to the brim.

@Pipinghot listed that it works on Aberration to just collect condensation from the air.  This only works in the green zone.   It works perfectly there, but it won't work in the blue zone.  

We noticed it doesn't collect from condensation on Fjord, and so far Fjord has had no rain that I have seen in our area.

Everyone else pretty much said it all.  THe one thing I don't get still is why they are totally inconsistent on usability on all the maps.  The condensation logic should just be standard across all the maps from my point of view.

9 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

@Pipinghot listed that it works on Aberration to just collect condensation from the air.  This only works in the green zone.   It works perfectly there, but it won't work in the blue zone.

I've done it in the blue zone. For what it's worth, this is on my private server, but having said that there aren't any config settings related to tanks & filling, so I'm pretty sure that being a private server doesn't matter for this function.

9 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

THe one thing I don't get still is why they are totally inconsistent on usability on all the maps.  The condensation logic should just be standard across all the maps from my point of view.

Agreed, it should work the same everywhere.

1 hour ago, Griffin998 said:

Except maybe Scorched Earth, because the whole thing about Scorched is that it is HOT, and DRY. It should be a struggle to get water there, not just, y'know, leave render distance and water for days.

One could make the same argument for any location on any map that is far from water. Considering how slowly water collects, and how many tanks you need to build relative to the size of a base, my personal opinion is that making the game mechanic consistent is more than any distinctions between maps.

Having said that, I'm not trying to argue that you're wrong, we just prefer different answers.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:38 PM, GrumpyBear said:

This only works in the green zone.   It works perfectly there, but it won't work in the blue zone.  

On 6/29/2022 at 4:03 AM, Pipinghot said:

I've done it in the blue zone. For what it's worth, this is on my private server, but having said that there aren't any config settings related to tanks & filling, so I'm pretty sure that being a private server doesn't matter for this function.

Its not true that it only collects water in the green zone. It doesnt even make sense to me really. I have a metal water tank in "the Hall of the Reapers" and its filling up just fine by "condensation" (Official PvE)

I also doubt it doesnt work on Fjordur or any other map. Check again... after knowing it only fills up when out of render-distance...

2 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

Its not true that it only collects water in the green zone. It doesnt even make sense to me really. I have a metal water tank in "the Hall of the Reapers" and its filling up just fine by "condensation" (Official PvE)

I also doubt it doesnt work on Fjordur or any other map. Check again... after knowing it only fills up when out of render-distance...

I was going by what other people on my server have complained about.   I must be wrong.   

But on Fjordur, we had that setup for 3 days at the start and the only way it would fill is if i put water from canteens into it.   It never refilled on it's own for days after I did that.  

It collected fine on The Island though I don't' remember if it was only during rain or if it collected over time.   Island had rain so I never thought about it.  I had it working on extinction for sure passively collecting.  Never needed it on crystal isles but i'm pretty sure it worked there too.  

Most likely , its just broken for Fjordur and will be working within short order.  With every release theres' a few weird bugs.   Valguero had one spot over the water that all pteras would ball up into making the weirdest looking animation of 100 pteras in exactly 1 spot.   That only took a couple months to resolve.

2 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

But on Fjordur, we had that setup for 3 days at the start and the only way it would fill is if i put water from canteens into it.

Could be that "condensation" doesnt happen on Fjordur, but as it works on so many maps, why would be Fjordur be an exception? Also, I think it has nothing to do with the map but rather the watertanks themself. But then again, different maps that dont have wind flows, wind has different "outputs" EG Island "wind" only blows at daytime. But on Valguero "wind" turns on turbines all day...

3 minutes ago, SunsetErosion said:

Could be that "condensation" doesnt happen on Fjordur, but as it works on so many maps, why would be Fjordur be an exception? Also, I think it has nothing to do with the map but rather the watertanks themself. But then again, different maps that dont have wind flows, wind has different "outputs" EG Island "wind" only blows at daytime. But on Valguero "wind" turns on turbines all day...

considering the gaping holes I'm seeing in the ground in the freezing realm, I'm thinking its a bug - not a feature.

Archived