The elephant in the room.

wizard03

Yeah joe, I know your gonna move it, but can you maybe take a lunch break and let this sit for a minute or two first. I really want to know what other people think here. 

Ok, so with the new ark 2 development coming along, the devs have finally announced a few details of what to expect. However I feel worried about two details that others have taken notice of too. Nooblets has released a video of his concerns and mine are going to mimic his. https://youtu.be/-8S_haTAEEY

"No more first person, and a different style of gameplay."

Now he also mentioned about how he thought that the console players was interested in the new combat system and I would like to counter that as I have always hated aim assist, or single target lock on assistance. Over the past couple years I have begun to experience the type of gaming interaction Iv always wanted where games no longer "hold your hand" when it comes to picking targets and engaging them. Ark, PUBG, The Long Dark.....these games allow me to quickly change targets, instead of trying to fight the aim assist on the target I feel is more threatening. Games such as the old COD's, World Of Tanks, and practically every other shooter game on console  always gave me a headache fighting the software more than the enemy.
To see that ark 2 will incorporate a complete "hand holding" engagement system is rather off putting. Does this include while your riding a dino? Does this mean I will have to dodge, parry, and attack like a human while on a stego? Or does this mean we are heavily limited to what we can or can't do "while" on our tames? 
All of it sounds like it will look good, the motions, shielding yourself, attacking, biting down on a creature......yes it sounds like it will look good, like an action movie. But as for actual game play? It sounds like it will be much more frustrating. "Oh crap I forgot to do the button combo. Shoot, how do I roll and perry? Why did my character start attacking that parasaur when the raptor is chewing my face off?" Its not good sounding, and am worried it will come off a little clunky. And thats just the actual game play!

As for the view, its more of a complaint in the end as I do kinda understand what the devs are trying to do, however this will mutate into the actual concern....As for worrying about the feel of the environment being lost from size comparison. Im not too concerned about that. But being forced to look at my character all the time, the amount of screen being blocked all the time, not being able to see the thing on the ground just in front of my character, thats a big turn off. Especially if you add in the fact that we can jump onto a dino and have that view blocked even more. I am constantly sticking to 1st person view just so I can see without the view being blocked. I could just imagine fighting the controls to see in front of my character on a rex!
Now I understand why they want to do this, its so they can incorporate a dynamic interaction system with the terrain and environment. Its hard to run, jump, climb, and overall interact with different objects while in first person. This gives me more Tomb Raider vibes than ark vibes however and again, while it looks good, will it be as good as your typical action adventure genre game?

==========================================================================

Overall however, this is my final take of the Ark 2 announcement. They are not making a continued story of the original Ark, they are making a new game with the ark branding and theme......This is sad.

Ark as it is is wonderful, they are starting to add things that the mod community has been building. Labyrinths with traps. In depth ruins with their own lore. Newly envisioned boss's both of myth and fantasy, it adds so much more to the ark experience, and if the developers would take a look at what inventive things the community has grown, they could possibly explore new ideas, different perspectives, and bring a new kind of ark experience to everyone without changing the game from its original glory.
Granted, most of everyone really wants an original dino experience with less tek and more primitive, better graphics with less bugs, and maybe even more storyline. Heck, Id love to see another entire storyline and much more love for the single player community! But to see it go from such an non han holding true survival experience to a weird tomb raider, souls, ark mash up......well, Im probably not going to be the first in line to jump ark ships. And I may not even be there for the day it either goes free to play or is offered up on game pass.

Completely changing the game, means that ark 2 will not be ark 2. Its going to be something else. =/

Am I crazy in thinking this or do you all agree?

Same...I really hope aim assist isn't a thing. I hate it when I'm trying to shoot one thing, and some kind of thing off in the distance gets shot randomly, out of nowhere. I prefer, for example, ARK's aiming, where you can just sort of freestyle. But how would target lock work in a survival game with headshots and different damage multipliers? They probably won't add that one feature. I honestly quite like third-person though. I don't really mind that part of the thing, and the new combat and movement is really cool too. It's just going to be a chore to remember all the combos and stuff. But I don't care about that-what I do care about-will we be able to grab dinos? If so, then that next dilo that dares mess with me will absolutely get wrecked. Also, maybe we'll be able to climb on the bigger dinos too? Hmm.

Anyways, good luck and Happy ARKing!

8 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

Same...I really hope aim assist isn't a thing. I hate it when I'm trying to shoot one thing, and some kind of thing off in the distance gets shot randomly, out of nowhere. I prefer, for example, ARK's aiming, where you can just sort of freestyle. But how would target lock work in a survival game with headshots and different damage multipliers? They probably won't add that one feature. I honestly quite like third-person though. I don't really mind that part of the thing, and the new combat and movement is really cool too. It's just going to be a chore to remember all the combos and stuff. But I don't care about that-what I do care about-will we be able to grab dinos? If so, then that next dilo that dares mess with me will absolutely get wrecked. Also, maybe we'll be able to climb on the bigger dinos too? Hmm.

Anyways, good luck and Happy ARKing!

Ill never forget the day I lost a shot with my Jag panzer E100 on an I-7 cause some super fast tank flew by and dragged my reticle off the center of the I-7. The aim assist on my shot very potentially cost my team the entire game as that same I-7 went on to get 7 kills before the game was over......my one shot could have literally changed the entire outcome of that game, but cause of the little tank that flew by and the software thinking it needed to switch targets for me.....yeah.

And I can just see it now, the first boss fight, santiago comes crashing through the bushes to save the bob by leaping onto and grappling a dilo XD 
DOWN BOY, I SAID DOWN! xDxDxD

I hope devs will rethink 3rd person only mechanic and they will decide to give us a choice. If combat will be better in 3rd person people will switch view to TPP before fight but most time in ARK we are not fighting so there will be also place for switching to 1st person (building, walking inside buildings, exploring caves or forests etc.). Also I don't agree 3rd person is better for parkour and climbing mechanics. Best parcour games (Dying Light, Mirror's Edge) are FPP games. So we just asking for choice how we want to play ARK 2.

It would be good to show us some gameplay to understand what is the devs vision of ARK 2. Maybe real gameplay footage would convince us to that vision so I hope we will see some gameplay soon.

2 hours ago, AUTO6 said:

It would be good to show us some gameplay to understand what is the devs vision of ARK 2. Maybe real gameplay footage would convince us to that vision so I hope we will see some gameplay soon.

Ok, Id have to agree with this last part, a visual might be convincing. Im not even asking for vid here. A WIP Polygram picture could suffice.

12 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

Yes! The survivor just wakes up, and at a certain level, a cutscene plays where they meet Santiago. 😮 

I actually hope that if they do a movie, they force the main character to try and survive alone up to the point where they get to metal. Could include funny moments, challenging progress, and overcoming the impossible.......I kinda like that, but I do agree they will need extra characters later on. In which case yeah, Santiago swoops in and does crazy hero stuffs.

12 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

V.A.T.S?

In fallout 3/ fallout 4, you could activate a "computer assisted aiming system" anytime you wanted. It would pause time, you could pick where you wanted to shoot at, and it would display a percentage based chance of the computer aiming system of actually hitting your targets based off your stats, distance to the enemy, and weapon you had at the time.
See the source image

My 2 cents are, that First Person view is required, it's much more immersive.  Also, a change in playstyle means it's a different game.  And having a story mode?  I thought this was a survival game?  If some younger players don't like it, they probably aren't ready to play something requiring forethought and planning.  Aim assist is the most annoying game mechanic ever created.  It constantly locks onto things you don't want it to.

4 hours ago, Red451 said:

Atlas is different, and doesn't have the player base that Ark has.  When it came out, the big community contributors tried it.  Now hardly any of them cover it anymore.

its not that different all the systems are there all be it poopy. also not talking about the popularity. i like to think WC is trying out stuff and prototyping. also to me its better to have a good combat system then a garbage one and most of the time people are going to kill stuff with a dino anyway. so to me its not a big deal.

uhyuhijik.PNG

5 hours ago, Red451 said:

Popularity is what the bosses want.  More popular=more money. What the players want, ultimately doesn't mean much in the end.

i was referring to atlas combat not Popularity for the second time now. my point is it way not be like dark souls at all just there own spin on it. like conan exiles.

4 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Is it availible on console? And no, I don't recall such a game name before.

its a game made by grapeshot games some of the people of WC made it. a lot of the fighting mechanics in the game are like dark souls so it has bin done. but i don't understand why people don't like the dark souls like combat.

6 hours ago, DeliaHaze20 said:

its a game made by grapeshot games some of the people of WC made it. a lot of the fighting mechanics in the game are like dark souls so it has bin done. but i don't understand why people don't like the dark souls like combat.

Never really did like that style of combat. You could be tearing through a big bad boss, and suddenly a minion pops up, redirects your fighting, and causes problems that you was attempting to avoid. An example could be used with RE 4...Imagine you got a chainsaw dude comeing at you, your getting ready to hit him in the head with a shotty, and a village just wanders in from the side, pulls your head shot, and then chainsaw dude goes to town on you after you miss your shot. x.x

7 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Never really did like that style of combat. You could be tearing through a big bad boss, and suddenly a minion pops up, redirects your fighting, and causes problems that you was attempting to avoid. An example could be used with RE 4...Imagine you got a chainsaw dude comeing at you, your getting ready to hit him in the head with a shotty, and a village just wanders in from the side, pulls your head shot, and then chainsaw dude goes to town on you after you miss your shot. x.x

burh... that's not the combats fault its your fault for not paying attention and being bad at the game. all so its a souls like combat its not a carbon copy so im guessing you never played any game like dark souls or it combat like system. i can understand the first person bit but not liking a combat style because you don't like the way it looks sigh... 

IMO third person only camera is more immersive than first person, which can also switch to third person, and also has orbit cam. Everyone uses orbit cam almost instinctively, even in pve, to check behind yourself while running from a raptor, to get a birds eye view around you etc. It's not immersive at all.

As far as it just being a different game with the ark branding and theme. Good. That's called a sequel. Too many games these days are just the 1.5 version of the original, like Overwatch 2. If ark 1 was the same game with better graphics and 0 bugs it would die in a week and there would be a million youtube videos calling it out like with overwatch.

Archived