server Connection timeout dedicated server

Hello! I’ve recently got Ark from steam with some friends (we were waiting for the game to get a lower price since most of us couldn’t afford paying it, and it ended being free) and we decided to play together, so we started by trying the Non-dedicated session, and not a single one could connect, it’s the 5th day and only once we were able to join each other, to then get kicked out and having no more success from that point. Went online to find out some fixes but almost nothing and the fixes I found didn’t work at all.

So then I decided to host a dedicated server from an external laptop I got, went and found out about ASM, and I got everything going, saw videos, tutorials, FAQ’s, common errors and fixes, and tried to do everything I could so the server would run flawlessly

And indeed I got it running, I checked most of the things, steam detects it, we detect it, port’s forwarded, we can connect to it only to still have the same error of connection timed out. 4 people, I’ve just spent 5 more hours trying to find fixes for this but nothing.

It’s about to make 6 days of us having the game, and none can connect to the server, nor to each other.

Maybe I made the server in a different region from ours? But then why would the Non-dedicated session also not work?

I’m unsure what’s the problem that’s going on, so I came here to ask for help if anyone has a fix or has been having the same problem.

We’re EU players, if that can help

thank you

Take a look at the server's CPU and RAM use - are they maxed out?

Assuming the server is running Windows - put the windows power saving to High Performance in case it's shutting some components down to save power.

Also use a wire to connect the laptop to the network.  I know some people on my server play the game across their wifi - but have regular issues with connections.

image.png.cc9a7ddf1df9b290b7da0abf1df372d2.png

Hi Lark! Thank you for responding and I’m sorry for responding this late.

I had set ASM to “High priority” and I had also set the power options to High performance earlier

the CPU usage looks maxed out and the Ram Usage it’s using 4gb since I didn’t think nor knew how to allocate more RAM to the server

I also had set on the ASM the -useallavailablecores but after seeing a thread in here about it, doesn’t look like it affects much

my Laptop is using TurboBoost i5-1035G1 with 4 cores and 8 processors

I set the server through wired connection to my network as you advised, unfortunately all my router LAN connectors are being used (I turned one of them off to try and solve this problem) - for now at least, in a close future I will probably switch locations and with that will have also a better router to keep the server LAN, if the problem is fixed

While I took the photos the server apparently went down (I’ll check how to upload them to here since imgur links aren’t accepted)

then I turned it up again and he went down again after around 3mins of running 

the server currently is showing as non-responsive 

I might upload my ASM server settings (unsure if I should blur public IP) as well since it might be the settings

the server and game version are both 346.14

once again, sorry for my late reply

11 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Take a look at the server's CPU and RAM use - are they maxed out?

Assuming the server is running Windows - put the windows power saving to High Performance in case it's shutting some components down to save power.

Also use a wire to connect the laptop to the network.  I know some people on my server play the game across their wifi - but have regular issues with connections.

image.png.cc9a7ddf1df9b290b7da0abf1df372d2.png

EDIT FOR THE QUOTATION (I just now realized it hadn’t quoted)

Hi Lark! Thank you for responding and I’m sorry for responding this late.

I had set ASM to “High priority” and I had also set the power options to High performance earlier

the CPU usage looks maxed out and the Ram Usage it’s using 4gb since I didn’t think nor knew how to allocate more RAM to the server

I also had set on the ASM the -useallavailablecores but after seeing a thread in here about it, doesn’t look like it affects much

my Laptop is using TurboBoost i5-1035G1 with 4 cores and 8 processors

I set the server through wired connection to my network as you advised, unfortunately all my router LAN connectors are being used (I turned one of them off to try and solve this problem) - for now at least, in a close future I will probably switch locations and with that will have also a better router to keep the server LAN, if the problem is fixed

While I took the photos the server apparently went down (I’ll check how to upload them to here since imgur links aren’t accepted)

then I turned it up again and he went down again after around 3mins of running 

the server currently is showing as non-responsive 

I might upload my ASM server settings (unsure if I should blur public IP) as well since it might be the settings

the server and game version are both 346.14

once again, sorry for my late reply

You can't allocate more RAM to the ark server - it will use what it needs...  How much RAM does the server have?
The CPU being maxed out will be a problem - it will at best cause lag and at worst might be causing the connection problem.
-useallavailablecores I think is a client option, not a server option.

I don't use ASM so can't help there - but someone else might see something.  Personally, I think you're facing a network type issue (port forwarding or firewall) or you need a more powerful PC to be the server.  Although, I'd expect your CPU to be ok.

Maybe check that you don't have anything else eating CPU time.  Like Opera or Firefox or a third-part virus checker or Windows file-indexer.

6 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

You can't allocate more RAM to the ark server - it will use what it needs...  How much RAM does the server have?
The CPU being maxed out will be a problem - it will at best cause lag and at worst might be causing the connection problem.
-useallavailablecores I think is a client option, not a server option.

I don't use ASM so can't help there - but someone else might see something.  Personally, I think you're facing a network type issue (port forwarding or firewall) or you need a more powerful PC to be the server.  Although, I'd expect your CPU to be ok.

Maybe check that you don't have anything else eating CPU time.  Like Opera or Firefox or a third-part virus checker or Windows file-indexer.

I’ll keep trying, the cpu being at max was the cause of the server closing (at least up until now - I had opera/discord open on that laptop as well) however the connection timeout issue still stands for both non-dedicated and dedicated servers unfortunately, and it’s not only for me -it’s for three more people and one of them has a wired connection with better speed than me and a better pc as well, that’s the sad bummer.

in case it is an ASM problem, do you have another program that might be more suitable?

thank you for the help, once again, I really appreciate it

I use DOS bat files and manually edit the ini files for my server.
It's better for me because I'm used to writing software.  Worse for people on my server because I make misteaks every now and then.

ASM has a good reputation so I'd be tempted to suggest you stick with it.

I can't think of anything else for you to check...
Port-forwarding on the router, NAT-loopback enabled on the router, firewall settings to allow Ark through.  Three unique port numbers per map.

Are there any error messages in the map's log file?

20 hours ago, Larkfields said:

I use DOS bat files and manually edit the ini files for my server.
It's better for me because I'm used to writing software.  Worse for people on my server because I make misteaks every now and then.

ASM has a good reputation so I'd be tempted to suggest you stick with it.

I can't think of anything else for you to check...
Port-forwarding on the router, NAT-loopback enabled on the router, firewall settings to allow Ark through.  Three unique port numbers per map.

Are there any error messages in the map's log file?

Hi Lark! I was going to reply to you yesterday but it said I had reached the daily limit of 4.

DOS does look complicated to my small brain. After reading you saying ASM had a good reputation I thought of redoing everything, it might have been some settings I had enabled (like Use Cache) so I tried doing everything from 0.

I created the server and did the most basic things like setting the name so I could find it easier. I also deleted my port forwarding and created a new one, my previous port forwarding was a range setup with 7777-65650, 7778-65650 and 27015-65650 TCP/UDP all, and on the second try I thought maybe I should have set singles, so I set 7777-7777 7778-7778 27015-27015 32330-32330 (for RCON) TCP/UDP,

something worked since I was able to join from my main pc to the server, but weirdly enough only for the local IP since the public IP was showing Server Not Responding 

and from there I went to try and find the solution 

I didn’t find out how to Enable NAT loopback since my ISP uses an interface from the cave time and I live in a country where calling them to ask would just give a “restart your router” fix, so I tried Opening the firewall, DMZ (which DOESNT let port forwarding work and it warned me but I’m dumb enough to forget the meaning of “this option will make your port-forwarding redundant”) 

after a several amount of tries I thought on setting my port forwarding to as it was before, since before it was showing, and it worked!

a friend was able to join and we played

I still don’t know what was it that was giving all the Connection Timeouts, maybe Use Cache or Use All Available Cores that I had activated? but something worked

maybe I had set up port forwarding off by a number and the third time I somehow got it right?

I didn’t change the option: “Local IP: Let the server choose” which I don’t know if I should change or not Anymore 

I’ll test the server a second time again today, and try to see if I can Enable RCON (I also set a port forwarding rule for it)

Thank you for your time and I hope I don’t get to have all this trouble again when I change locations :’)

thank you a lot!

Archived