Thoughts on fjodur?

CosmicSkeleton

Right; I've run the map, gotten the new critters, and killed the bosses. With the map being out for a few days now I figure it's high time to probe everyone's brains on it as well as give my own two cents. First off the map is beautiful. By and large the best mod map in my opinion to have made it to official status. There's some obvious hiccups to be certain but it's overall quite pleasing to see that wildcard didn't pull a valguero or lost island and drag the map behind a back alley to gut it of content, it allows the original mod creator's love and passion to shine through clearly. Where the new creatures are concerned most of them are fun, though they do suffer a bit in some departments. The desmodus has definitely become my favorite flyer, it's quite tanky for a flyer when bred and it's utility as a blood harvester and elixir producer makes in incredibly useful, I'd even be as bold as to say it rattles the argentavis and its smithy saddle's status as most useful flyer. Sadly I can't seem to get its night vision to activate and have had other players express similar issues which stifles a bit of my love for it. The andrewsarchus is a solid and fun tame all around, quite beefy though a mid tier creature overall. Not too good; not too bad, this feeling may however stem from the fact that I dropped pvp for pve. The hawk is quite useful, however I can never safely take it off my shoulder outside of my base as it immediately flies off into the aether to presumably try and harvest something I killed god knows how far back in my travels unless I whistle for it to stop. Chances are there's a setting I need to change to stop that but I'll actually need to look into it. The fenrir as I've expressed in the past is a disappointment. Too much effort  put in for what comes out. I've bred standard direwolves that vastly outstrip this creature for less than a tenth of the effort. Unless breeding is introduced to the fenrir it will sadly never be more than a status piece at best or a waste of a tame slot or cryopod at worst.

Now that I've prattled on about my thoughts I'm curious, how do all of you feel?

No complaints other than bugs or things not working as intended but that is to be expected. Oh and the Fenrir requirements and non breedable. Exceeded expectations and made the map better than the mod imo which is a stark contrast compared to the other mod maps they released officially (looking at you Crystal Isles) 

So far i like the map. The triple layers for Asgard and so is neat.

Desmodus is better than expected and realy a must have tame now.

Andrew seems neat, didn't manage to tame one yet, but i'll get to it soon.

Fjordhawk is great, part from the taming issues. (which i hope they will fix so it's possible to obtain the hawk.)

The requirements for the hammer and probably boss fight are high, but then that's expected for an end game map.

What i do miss is some viking theme skins. I was hoping for some building parts like what the little houses in the map villages are made of, or a viking boat.

In my opinion, Fjordur looks great when on the ground: lots of nice details, good variety and cool locations.

But from the air it looks clunky and awkward.  I realize it may have been designed to be very base-building friendly, but the combination of odd mountain peak shapes and tons of flat surfaces (and layers of flat surfaces) does not look natural to me. 

While there is more to see and do in Fjordur, I have to give an edge to Lost Island: I think LI has the perfect balance of more realistic and natural looking terrain and visual beauty, but it is not quite as friendly for base building as Fjordur.

The other item about Fjordur that is visually awkward is the overabundance of natural bridges and waterfalls.  Ragnarok had this issue as well, but Fjordur takes it to a whole new level.  If one natural bridge is cool, then one around every corner must be better. 

Again, it is a great map and a lot of love and talent must have gone into it.  I just prefer more natural looking locations/biomes/terrain.

Serve is full or not responding.

Is full even on 60/70.

Obelisks are full of deadly creatures so server traveling is not an option unless you have your own transmitter.

In single player R do not work and terminal for realms is too far.

Visited one described by  youtubers as beautiful jungle butt here are deadly creatures on arrival terminal.

I visited it as map lack of easy resources like oil where spots are already claimed and oil in sea is at least 2  times deep as on The island. few oil rocks spawn with litle oil but nothing compared of the isle ice area. So only other option is gacha.

But realm is wired. There is no sky, no up and down. Its like dense soup of foliage too easy to get lost.

Gacha are on upper spots but flyers do not work there so you must walk. Any attempt to walk to gacha will result  to get lost. 

I did killed my self few times in single player to get out of realm.

Everything is too far.

So maybe is good map specially if we wait server downloads to be enabled and then bring there everting from other servers.

9 hours ago, Noa said:

Serve is full or not responding.

Yes, that occurs frequent.

Is full even on 60/70.

For some odd reason, only Steam players show up in the count, those using Epic are not counted. So the server might be full, even if it shows less than 70/70.

Obelisks are full of deadly creatures so server traveling is not an option unless you have your own transmitter.

So far i haven't run into that problem on blue or green ob. Best to always take a descent tame with you.

In single player R do not work and terminal for realms is too far.

No idea about that might be a setting.

Visited one described by  youtubers as beautiful jungle butt here are deadly creatures on arrival terminal.

It's Ark, most things like to eat you ;-).

I visited it as map lack of easy resources like oil where spots are already claimed and oil in sea is at least 2  times deep as on The island. few oil rocks spawn with litle oil but nothing compared of the isle ice area. So only other option is gacha.

Locked oil pumps on PVE is a bit ouf a douchebag way to go at it. You can find good oil rocks on Balheimr near the oil pools.

But realm is wired. There is no sky, no up and down. Its like dense soup of foliage too easy to get lost.

Gacha are on upper spots but flyers do not work there so you must walk. Any attempt to walk to gacha will result  to get lost. 

Tame a Desmodus, those can fly there, and you can take other land tames with you to so you don't have to walk.

I did killed my self few times in single player to get out of realm.

Everything is too far.

So maybe is good map specially if we wait server downloads to be enabled and then bring there everting from other servers.

55 minutes ago, VendettaX7 said:

Desmodus can fly in caves and special realms where other flyers can't. That's a pretty big plus i would say.

On extinction you can use argy in underground forest and no need any bat. to find gacha there. As for plus other maps then have bigger plus.

And realms don't sem cave to me, it is just developers caprice.

While I am not a big fan of the overpowered creatures in Ark, it seems to me like the Desmodus is way too powerful.  While I think it is cool and well executed, it just seems to be able to do too much, too fast, too strong.  I think a logical and more balanced nerf would be to make it similar to the megalo where it moves slower and attacks for less in the daytime.

3 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

to be able to do too much, too fast, too strong.  I think a logical and more balanced nerf would be to make it similar to the megalo where it moves slower and attacks for less in the daytime.

Gonna have to disagree with you on that. When the desmodus was announced as the vote winner quite a few people- myself included- were adamantly opposed to the idea of a day/night cycle changing how it operated. As a flier the one of the original ideas flying around (pardon the pun there) was for it to be uniquely brawling oriented flier. I would maybe only tolerate a damage nerf because it makes blood harvesting more efficient if the creature being attacked doesn't get demolished in a few nips. Speed wise though I'd say keep it as is.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:42 AM, CosmicSkeleton said:

The andrewsarchus is a solid and fun tame all around, quite beefy though a mid tier creature overall.

I quite like the Andrewsarchus, as it's possible if you spawn in the right place that it can be your very first tame. All you need is honey, which can be found in the little nodes. They're a great early-to end-game tame, since their travelling utility is unsurpassed by almost nothing, and their later-game minigun saddle does great DPS. FYI, the reason I call it an early-game tame is because they don't need a saddle. That, combined with it's very decent tankiness, makes it probably the best first tame, apart from a few others.

On 6/23/2022 at 2:46 PM, maxplanck58 said:

While I am not a big fan of the overpowered creatures in Ark, it seems to me like the Desmodus is way too powerful.  While I think it is cool and well executed, it just seems to be able to do too much, too fast, too strong.  I think a logical and more balanced nerf would be to make it similar to the megalo where it moves slower and attacks for less in the daytime.

STOP. Desmodus is perfect just like it is. No nerfing!!! I don't think it's OP at all, but it is a great tame. For example, you can use it to go into the Wyvern den and attempt to get Lightening eggs but once you have the egg, boom they spot you! I tried doing this one time and nearly got out with the egg before I was killed. If they nerf the Desmodus this won't be possible at all since it's the only flyer able to go into that cave.

Yes, please don't nerf the the demo, it's good as it is. It's a nice run around, pretty fast, not that great at getting meat, but it does get blood packs. It can kill a descent size dino, but it's still fragile with it's low health.

Don't demote it to a taming aid for just getting bloodpacks and taming/imprint potion.

really only one op tame in the game anymore and that's the stryder, it's the only tame that essentially nullified every "harvester" (outside of meat hide and pelt)that came before it in one foul swoop.

as for my thoughts on the map it's a good concept, would be fantastic if they would even attempt to iron out just some of the bugginess of it though. no wild dinos 75% of the time makes for a rather pointless map.

More i play on Fjordur more i realise that is poop of map.

Lack of dinos, lack of resources, dinos despawn, seem that green aura on night is not a bug but designed to be as is, only dinos that spawn are alpha creatures and they spawn on random spots so areas described as easy are not easy at all. Also cave with terminals for crafting and for realm traveling usualy contain few of them.

Its over hipped by youtubers liars who usualy use cheats and  vids are not from official server.

Its constant ping 200 in game (on server choice it show  from 30 to 50). With that ping for example theri do not gather fiber, tamed rex sometimes do not do any damage  ...

Even if you manage to tame dinos you dont have food for them for two reasons - no dinos to hunt or there is alpha rex out of base who will kill your tamed rex and even if your rex survive - meat farming in this way is too time consuming.

Archived