Portforwarding

kyitz

Sorry if this was the wrong spot to post this but I couldnt find anywhere else. 

Hello! I have just gotten ark for free on steam and was hoping to make a server to play with my friends. I used Ark Server Manager to create the server and all was going well. I put the ports into my router settings to port forward them the same way I had done it with minecraft. I was able to join the server but my friends arent able to and a port checker tells me I havent opened them despite the server being open. So far what I've done was open the port in my firewall and I did that for 7777, 7778 and 27015. I also made sure that it wasn't blocking shooter game as well. That didn't seem to work. I have also already put them into the router settings. My server for minecraft works I was just wondering why these ones don't seem to work. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Ark stuff is UDP not TCP (hope you have UDP in your router port forwards) so a classic "port scan" that looks at TCP ports only may not find open stuff. So on your firewall rules - be sure you have UDP as an allowed protocol for incoming packets.

It can take a LONG time for a server to appear in the Unofficial server browser - If your mate goes through steam server browser - not built in Ark, can they see the game.

When you say they "cannot join" Is that because they don't see the game or because the join fails after they see the game?

Also just to be clear - the "Query Port" setting (I don't use ASM so dunno the exact terminology) is your 27015 value, whilst the "port" or "game port" setting is your 7777 7778 ports.

Last thing - do your port forwards overlap? so for example is your minecraft server running on a different LAN IP, but it is using one of the ports that Ark is set up to use, and the router is sending some packets for Ark to a different machine altogether.

Archived