Fjordur Hawk taming not working?

Supremist

I went to the valley surrounded by snow where the Fjordur hawks are located and found several of them and then proceeded to kill everything in sight while riding on my andrewsarchus and the hawks began to feed on the corpses but only the first two hawks showed any taming progress. After that other hawks didn't even show any taming %, I walked up to hawks that were feeding on dinos that I killed but it didn't show any taming % on them. This a bug or what? Also the hawks wouldn't feed on an alpha raptor's corpse that I killed, feature or bug?

Edited by Supremist

I find that the best option is to carry an Ovis over to their spawn location and whack it nearby. When all of the hawks are trying to feed only a few in the group will gain affinity as there's only so many bites that can be taken even if they do the animation. Since Ovis take FOREVER to be eaten through this guarantees that a sizable group can all not only gain affinity but also get a sizable boost due to raw mutton being so valuable. If you're on your own just flip on the tame tracker for the hawks if you require multiple sheep to keep them in sight while you trek out for more, the Ovis spawn a bit out of the way of the hawks stomping grounds so it's pretty useful. Elsewise just have yourself, a tribemate, and any flyers with significant dragweight take turns scooping and carrying them over to be slaughtered.

• Like 1

well i tried over and over , and this hawk taming is frustrating , didn't even get a level 20 tamed

first of all you don't need to kill the dino by hand, you can killed them with your tame, BUT you have to be dismounted when the hawk feeds from the dead dino, 

but taming is still bugged , because sometimes no matter what you do the hawk eat the dino but doesn't gain any affinity, 

i am playing on official server at 2x on pve, so i cannot grab dino to feed the bird, and if it takes too much time between feeding the progress drop, 

i tried feeding a bronto to a lv 20 hawk and i only got 15% taming so imagine a lv 150, got to find a female ovis, as of now i only have  a male, and i don't want to waste it on a bloody hawk, got to raise ovis, and try that later

Pretty gutted they removed that you could use ur own tames. Raising a small army of tames to be used has got to be just as much effort as finding random wild tames, and on official PVE where spawns of anything seem to be incredibly low it's almost essential.

Please WC rethink removing the ability to use your own tames, how about only tames imprinted to the tamer can be used? A good compromise as it requires the effort of breeding so doesn't make it too easy. 

On 6/17/2022 at 9:27 AM, kyranight said:

It seems to only raise % when you are not on a mount, but you can still kill things with your dino. So when you see it landing and walking to the corpse hop off your mount and get back on when it flies up. 

Can confirm, while mounted, fjordhawk will not gain taming %.

Also can confirm will not land to eat your own tames that you kill.  Unless, like JetJaguar said, you drag another dead wild ontop of your dead tame.

• Thanks 1

I'm curious what the creators intent for the hawk is regarding starter, middle or high player level tame?
Because given the utility of the hawk I'd say it should be a starting pet, since that's when it'll suck if you die as it'll most likely be hard to get back to your body.
But once you're at middle or high level then you'll have multiple flyers and other high level dinos so getting back your stuff is cake. And also by then you'll be using an otter for insulation since you'll either have flak/riot or tek armour which sucks at the warm and cold places.

Since right now it's definitely not a starter tame, or even middle tame if you want a high level one. And you'd pretty much need two players since it's pretty scarce with big wild dinos in the areas. 3 brontos barely did anything for a level 150 hawk, and since the hawk will drop it's taming if they get hit by a wild dinos attack. Which is a big chance it will when trying to kill a bronto then yeah. Annoying tame. The player the hawk follows just have to stay put and another player brings in barely alive dinos.

And then there's the fun of other hawks that you're not trying to tame that lands faster and eats first....

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gelantious said:

And then there's the fun of other hawks that you're not trying to tame that lands faster and eats first....

and the hawk you are taming decide to aggro on a sleeping human offline and won't follow you anymore, the number of hawks i killed out of frustration

for the ovis trick, does the hawk still feed from the ovis once the dodo is gone after 3 bites?

I tried taming several hawks, it's near impossible now on official servers.

At X2 rates i got about 0.4% taming from a parasaur. In that valley there isn't much wildlife around and no big creatures like bronto's or paracers.

The decay on the taming seems very high to, by the time i killed a second parasaur (which took less than a minute) the taming had dropped to 0.2%.

This was on a lvl 95 hawk, and it was the only one around.

I was realy looking forward to the Fjordhawks, it was my most preferred tame from the new map. Seems like i'll have to "buy" one now from the few that did manage to tame some early on with the rock elemental trick.

So here is all the information I have gathered about the taming mechanics for the Fjordhawk that are noteworthy. Taming % raises if you are not mounted. You can still kill things with a tame but you must be not mounted before the hawk starts feeding. If the fjordhawk is following you while you are on foot if you get on a tame the Hawk will fly away in a random direction until out of render distance.

Edited by kyranight

• Wildcard QA

Hey guys, thanks for all your info.

We are aware of and working on the following issues with Fjordhawk taming:

1. When eating a corpse the player has killed, Fjordhawk will not gain taming affinity (progress) when the player is mounted (PC and Console)
2. Fjordhawk will no longer eat tamed dinos to gain taming affinity (progress) on PVE servers (PC and console)

If there are any additional problems (different from the ones mentioned above), please let me know in this thread and I will investigate, thanks

Edited by Evza
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2