How early in development will Modding be available ? I want Tek.

psionprime

I'll have to see some gameplay footage but if this is really to be no Tek then ick.

I like the power progression in Ark I. It feels right to me and will actively try to find a group of modders and put forth a Tek option for those who want it, much like those that worked on Primitive+. Statements in the marketing that include "what we *all* want" don't fly with me and those I game with. We enjoy the progression and it feels great when we reach Tek tier.

I like a lot of what I am reading. I'm fine with waiting for more gameplay details. I just want to put out there the no Tek in a sci-fi game is goofy and hopefully the tools suggested will remedy that (it doesn't have to be element derived, Santiago). That and whoever siding with this, you are not alone ! 😜

Ark is, at its core, a fantastic fantasy sci-fi game. The themes and aesthetics are superb, and someday I hope to thank the creators for such a cool job they've done with the project and design (especially creatures).

In short, I agree! While it makes sense to at first have primitive focus, I hope that their use of the word "focus" is sincere (and doesn't actually mean "exclusively primitive" or "only primitive") and I hope that they do not feel afraid to add modern and tek tier gear later (or perhaps, unknowing to us, some is already in). As always, those who do not enjoy it can disable it. That's the beauty of settings.

I worry those who hate Tek have been very loud, and I worry if the devs feel pressured to stay away from modern tier or Tek tier. It's not something they should shy away from if they desire to do Element shenanigans again--even, perhaps, with a more magic-y twist or flavor to it this time? It IS a mystical substance, after all. Or perhaps something new? That would also be exciting!

Basically, fantasy tech and creatures are part of the heart of Ark, I feel. Fantasy scifi is a great genre, one that's under-explored in my opinion, and is what makes Ark so special.

Cheers. Thanks, Ark team!

I think it's part of the story line. Like we're cavemen starting over. Ark 2 is gonna be primitive and I think as dlc comes out they will end up adding some tek. Then when ark 3 comes out it will probably be more tek than ark 1 and 2 had because your evolving. Think about how ark 1 was when it first came out there wasn't any tek if I'm not mistaken but then we evolved over time to have tek. I think it will be the same for ark 2. The developers are just giving us a hard reset so we get that feeling of having to evolve with times. We're cavemen trying to reinvent the wheel again.

I was casually thinking I understand not wanting element to not screw up the new planet. It is natural for humans used to modern tech to want that, though. Even those stranded on islands sometimes work out how to get a water wheel going etc. Lots of fodder in the fiction, eg. Tek rained from the sky in the form of the devastated Genesis ship (screw you Rockwell !)

I wouldn't say that Ark 2 will get rid of modern stuff, it's not confirmed or Denied that it's getting rid of it, but it would probably be very late game stuff. For me my biggest wish is to keep all past Dinos (Actual Dinosaurs, mammals and invertebrates, etc) in the game and add maybe a few fantasy creatures like the Bulbdog, Rock Drake, Karkinos and Shadowmane. There is definitely alien life on the planet we're on, the first trailer hid this weird alien looking plant or insect (don't remember exactly what it was but it was alien like)

2 hours ago, AtarashiDatenShi said:

I wouldn't say that Ark 2 will get rid of modern stuff, it's not confirmed or Denied that it's getting rid of it, but it would probably be very late game stuff. For me my biggest wish is to keep all past Dinos (Actual Dinosaurs, mammals and invertebrates, etc) in the game and add maybe a few fantasy creatures like the Bulbdog, Rock Drake, Karkinos and Shadowmane. There is definitely alien life on the planet we're on, the first trailer hid this weird alien looking plant or insect (don't remember exactly what it was but it was alien like)

Agreed, I'm very much hoping for and looking forward to seeing iconic fantasy creatures from Ark 1 show up again. ^u^

The dragons in particular, of course (wyverns, rock drakes, managarmrs, magmasaurs, etc) but I'd also love looking up at the Arat sky and seeing astrocetus and astrodelphis lazily hovering around the atmosphere.

Not that I'm not excited for new creatures, I love the little new flower lizard!

On 6/15/2022 at 1:09 AM, Izalveri said:

I hope that they do not feel afraid to add modern and tek tier gear later (or perhaps, unknowing to us, some is already in). As always, those who do not enjoy it can disable it. That's the beauty of settings.

There is no such setting on official servers. And neither is there a choice if i want to use it or not on pvp servers.

2 hours ago, Izalveri said:

The dragons in particular, of course (wyverns, rock drakes, managarmrs, magmasaurs, etc) but I'd also love looking up at the Arat sky and seeing astrocetus and astrodelphis lazily hovering around the atmosphere.

Wyverns maybe, the original ones are more or less alright (and griffins). But nobody needs poop like managarmas or flying dolphins. Absolutely horrible game design choices. Among the original creatures, ichty was a fast swimmer, kangaroo a good jumper, ptera the fastest way to get around and rex a dps monster. Mana is better than all of them at all of that… the game simply doesnt need that, i really hope they keep it reasonable in ark2

I'm hoping it'll be like ARK 1 with their early access release. More modern stuff is added as they go and then finally tek stuff before the game is "fully" released.

Also slightly worried it'll be more pvp focused because of the new combat system and forced third person perspective.
Hoping they won't forget us that likes the pve/building/taming part. Would like to see more pve/rp building items. For example we have simple wood tables and benches. But nothing on modern or tek tier, looks weird having the mixed styles. Full tek base, and then you have a weak straw bed and wood bench...

Eco's rp mods and others are great for this. But should be more rp items by default in the game.
Btw, sucks the community let Eco down so she stopped her mods...

• 5 months later...
On 6/13/2022 at 4:51 PM, psionprime said:

I'll have to see some gameplay footage but if this is really to be no Tek then ick.

I like the power progression in Ark I. It feels right to me and will actively try to find a group of modders and put forth a Tek option for those who want it, much like those that worked on Primitive+. Statements in the marketing that include "what we *all* want" don't fly with me and those I game with. We enjoy the progression and it feels great when we reach Tek tier.

I like a lot of what I am reading. I'm fine with waiting for more gameplay details. I just want to put out there the no Tek in a sci-fi game is goofy and hopefully the tools suggested will remedy that (it doesn't have to be element derived, Santiago). That and whoever siding with this, you are not alone ! 😜

Wildcard is trying to give us a new, more primitive, classic Ark experience. They might add an "Enable Tek" feature later on for unofficial servers. It's also not a "sci-fi game" it's an open-world survival sandbox set in the distant future on a different planet.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:09 PM, Izalveri said:

Ark is, at its core, a fantastic fantasy sci-fi game. The themes and aesthetics are superb, and someday I hope to thank the creators for such a cool job they've done with the project and design (especially creatures).

In short, I agree! While it makes sense to at first have primitive focus, I hope that their use of the word "focus" is sincere (and doesn't actually mean "exclusively primitive" or "only primitive") and I hope that they do not feel afraid to add modern and tek tier gear later (or perhaps, unknowing to us, some is already in). As always, those who do not enjoy it can disable it. That's the beauty of settings.

I worry those who hate Tek have been very loud, and I worry if the devs feel pressured to stay away from modern tier or Tek tier. It's not something they should shy away from if they desire to do Element shenanigans again--even, perhaps, with a more magic-y twist or flavor to it this time? It IS a mystical substance, after all. Or perhaps something new? That would also be exciting!

Basically, fantasy tech and creatures are part of the heart of Ark, I feel. Fantasy scifi is a great genre, one that's under-explored in my opinion, and is what makes Ark so special.

Cheers. Thanks, Ark team!

Ark was meant to be a survival sandbox with dinosaurs, all set on an island with weird ecosystems and biomes. But I feel that Wildcard is wanting to not only continue the amazing lore the game has, but also return to the roots of the game. Those roots being primitive survival. In order to bring in new players and add a new level of gameplay, Wildcard added and changed and changed and added they way you play the game (ex. tek armor and weapons, more fantasy/sci-fi creatures, and in-game environments). They wanted to keep the ball rolling and they finally got it to the top of the hill. But now they want to have another go at it.

And I am all for a simple "Enable Tek" or "Enable Modern" buttons for singleplayer or unofficial.

17 hours ago, Dodge2134 said:

"Ark was meant to be a survival sandbox with dinosaurs, all set on an island with weird ecosystems and biomes. But I feel that Wildcard is wanting to not only continue the amazing lore the game has, but also return to the roots of the game. Those roots being primitive survival."

I look at it as what it is, a sci-fi game. The whole thing, not just in part. I've not read anywhere Wildcard stating this is a primitive game. I have read in a lot of places players wishing it to be but not the facts dealing with a lot of science in a fictional setting that includes cloning, resurrections, lore indicating the science, the story line of a classic sci-fi plot. If you play the survival sandbox to it's conclusion, there are visual explanations with blatant sci-fi elements, including overcoming a boss made of element.

All that said, it is great that Wildcard created a game where you can choose to not play that content and still have fun, if that is all you want. Indicating their creation is simply a sandbox dinosaur game does a great disservice to their efforts that went so much more beyond that.

If they keep Ark II similar, then we will both have fun.

5 hours ago, psionprime said:

I look at it as what it is, a sci-fi game. The whole thing, not just in part. I've not read anywhere Wildcard stating this is a primitive game. I have read in a lot of places players wishing it to be but not the facts dealing with a lot of science in a fictional setting that includes cloning, resurrections, lore indicating the science, the story line of a classic sci-fi plot. If you play the survival sandbox to it's conclusion, there are visual explanations with blatant sci-fi elements, including overcoming a boss made of element.

All that said, it is great that Wildcard created a game where you can choose to not play that content and still have fun, if that is all you want. Indicating their creation is simply a sandbox dinosaur game does a great disservice to their efforts that went so much more beyond that.

If they keep Ark II similar, then we will both have fun.

I do agree that there are some sci-fi elements (space station, tek creatures, implants, the colony ship, etc.) but I wouldn't classify it as a wholly science fiction game. To be a sci-fi game, it needs to have all of the elements return to the sci-fi aspect, including the plot, armor, weapons, enemies, and environment. But get rid of the tek tier, and you're left with a survival game with dinosaurs that just happens to be on a space station (which isn't even noticeable while playing), and the only sci-fi items are the Obelisks.

While Ark 1 does have elements that partially connect to the sci-fi theme, those elements being the tek weapons, lore, and loot crates, however it not only has more, but stronger ties to the survival theme.

They are as follows:

1.) The constantly dangerous environment

2.) The need for food and water

3.) The early and midgame weapons and armor are 20th century at best

4.) The need for resources to be harvested and consumed in the crafting process

5.) How easy it is to lose all progress

6.) The lack of actual in-game plot or the lack of "winning" (Not storyline, but plot)

I could accept Aberration and the Genesis DLC's being classified as sci-fi DLC's, but as they aren't necessary to the game, it doesn't change the fact that all of the free maps have little to no sci-fi elements besides the ones stated prior.

Screenshot 2022-12-09 08.03.42.png

Archived