Singleplayer self imposed restrictions.

LordKel

I am curious what kind of self imposed restrictions those of you that play single player are imposing upon yourselves for the new map.   Are you importing tames,  or like Phlinger is doing on extinction currently only bringing over an argy once you have tamed a high level argy on the new map?   Are you bringing gear or ammo?  Heading straight for metal/tek bases or starting with the thatch standby?   In my playthrough I came to the map naked with my high level ascended character,  but I brought nothing with me except a podded Sino which I haven't decided whether to use or not.   I tamed a max level argy and bary,  both of which I have mutated versions on other maps, but not sure if I want to go that route or not.  Just curious if anyone else likes to limit themselves as I do.

I make days and nights longer. Makes for more varied gameplay.

Dino difficulty goes up (max the slider). I want a challenge. Dino numbers goes up to max on the slider. I want to know there's a possible threat around a corner. Everythign is earned.

I refuse to be cheesey and upgrade my speed. That's just cheap. Instead I use bolas when chases by raptors. If I don't have them then that's my oversight and I pay for it. If I could just outrun everything the game would be too easy.

When possible I go on foot in caves. Unless it's really really big. Then I'll bring dinos. I refuse to use cheap rex and giga spam in boss fights. Find other ways to beat them (and it better be the hard versions). This encourages using different dinos/tactics. Can even beat a number of the bosses on foot.

When it comes to temp I refrain from using "warm" consumables. Partly because if I'm in a place for a while I need to be sure I can survive. So instead I make sure I got the right gear (fur clothes. Fire. etc). Having to have wood and make fires and make sure you got grappling hooks is more challenging and fun then "Easily flying through". The game is already too easy after good gear and a base built.

I can actually think of ways to mod the game to have more to do and be challenging. ARKs biggest flaw is that it runs out of stuff to do other then "tame dino. Get artifact. Build base." Some open world games can work around this though. If nothing else the ideas could help with ARK 2.

Archived