First person view is important in ARK

AUTO6

On 7/15/2022 at 3:16 PM, Mephilis78 said:

If you want to make a "completely different kind of game" don't do it in a sequel with an invested fan base.  Do your experiment on a new IP.  This is common sense that appears to be lacking across the entire entertainment Industry.  Instead of Ark being unique,  next gen ark will be described as "like" something else. 

Imagine if Jurassic World Evolution 2 came out and it was a Battle Royale fps game.. 

Imagine if the next Call of Duty was an RTS Tower builder,  with multiplayer. 

Considering this game can be modded....why can't modders add 1st player view in for those who want it? 

I think with how little information has been released about gameplay, there are a lot of assumptions we have to make based on how the original game has been played. I am hopeful for fluid combat and gameplay that works well with the weaponry and the creatures. I think while sequels should be similar to the originals, I am hopeful that all the good aspects of ARK: Survival Evolved by technifiser will be adapted to whatever they come up with as a new system.

Edited by chrdaa

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2022 at 7:58 PM, GrumpyBear said:

Considering this game can be modded....why can't modders add 1st player view in for those who want it? 

Because of game mechanics. If game is designed for a 3rd person view it will not be well playable in 1st person. I dont mean its not possble, no, its just a camera hack, but all UI markers, all battle mechanics, interaction... everything will be not right. Plus players in 3rd view will get serious advantage in battles against 1st view players and so on.

There is only one right decision : make both, let players choose. Ark 1, Arma etc... Restricting view selection also lets players to decide what game expirience they want - more dynamic arcade/souls like or more hardcore realistic.

Edited by drunkenorca
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sarin said:

A big mistake IMO. FPP is better for survival game.. TPP is very limiting in tight spaces and not as immersive, and good melee combat can be done even in FPP, for example Mount and Blade series. Souls like is not a good option for ARK.

I agree on first person being better for navigation, but soulslike combat is definitely going to be the best way to fight a dinosaur with a melee weapon. Or to use a melee weapon to fight a dinosaur.

Edited by Scheneighnay

• 3 weeks later...

I respect your opinion, but I believe that the choice between first-person perspective (FPP) and third-person perspective (TPP) depends on personal preference and the specific goals of the game. TPP can provide advantages like improved situational awareness, while FPP can offer a more immersive experience. Similarly, the decision to use a particular combat system in ARK 2 is subjective and based on the game's design direction and mechanics.