First person view is important in ARK

AUTO6

I think with how little information has been released about gameplay, there are a lot of assumptions we have to make based on how the original game has been played. I am hopeful for fluid combat and gameplay that works well with the weaponry and the creatures. I think while sequels should be similar to the originals, I am hopeful that all the good aspects of Ark will be adapted to whatever they come up with as a new system.

On 6/13/2022 at 5:49 AM, GP said:

The combat system is being completely overhauled.

I understand why people really want to have 1st person installed, but currently you have little understanding of how 1st person might affect that combat system. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a combat system that wouldn't really work as effectively in 1st person mode.

I think we really need to see gameplay footage first.

which is why they should probably add first person for out-of-combat, which doesn't sound too complicated although i don't know how the third person in this game works yet

On 7/15/2022 at 7:16 PM, Mephilis78 said:

If you want to make a "completely different kind of game" don't do it in a sequel with an invested fan base.  Do your experiment on a new IP.  This is common sense that appears to be lacking across the entire entertainment Industry.  Instead of Ark being unique,  next gen ark will be described as "like" something else. 

Imagine if Jurassic World Evolution 2 came out and it was a Battle Royale fps game.. 

Imagine if the next Call of Duty was an RTS Tower builder,  with multiplayer. 

ark 2 isn't going to be a battle royale fps... i'm pretty damn sure it will be ark but with third person, for the human combat overhaul. unless they really are going the next mile and adding the souls like combat for tames

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 12:11 AM, GP said:

Just like to point out not everyone plays or will play unofficial or single player.

Just read about the battle system and view changes. What a bummer. If 3rd person view is dependant on battle system, it also means there is no way a VR mode is possible in Ark2.

I was so excited to try out the horrible corpse of Ark VR mode, because I thought Ark2 is going to be that godlike immersive VR experience I wanted Ark to be. I'm really dissaponted.

Also talking about mods, I have played Ark on public servers only. There is a chance that Ark2 public servers don't support any modding and then you need to rely on community servers. Yikes.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Datsun180 said:

Also talking about mods, I have played Ark on public servers only. There is a chance that Ark2 public servers don't support any modding and then you need to rely on community servers. Yikes.

Sorry what's the difference between 'public' servers and 'community' servers? Public being ones you can just join, and community ones being ones where you have to ask to join?

I dare say they've taken a page out of Conan: Exile's book, and it's a change I'm not happy about really. We don't play ARK for its cinematic combat and combat was never a major issue for players, at least not that I've seen. I think maybe there was something about wanting to switch between right or left-hand dominant AGES ago but overall, ARK's combat was never really an issue among players. It's like the whole team have suffered from 'Survivor Bias' - let's change the parts of the game no one really complained about... I'm extremely hesitant about ARK 2 because of these (minor) changes alone. We need to see gameplay.

Now, even if combat is optimised for third-person, I still want the OPTION to use first-person view. Even if as soon as I draw a weapon, it reverts to third-person. First person is better when exploring, it's better when inside your base, it's better when viewing/inspecting your dinos and when taking in an epic view.

I should not have to RELY on a modder to add a function the developers can add themselves quite easily. And, because I guarantee you enough people are going to use a First-Person mod if the dev team are too lazy to add it themselves, there will be calls to incorporate any such mod into the base game anyway. So just add the damn First-Person view as an OPTION and everyone's happy.

Also, as Mephilis78 says above: If you want to make a "completely different kind of game" (which is fine), don't make it a sequel to an already established game. You make it a standalone title linked to the franchise, like "ARK: Arat Prime" or "ARK: Primal", something like that. Not a direct sequel.  

Just a stab in the dark - but I think that the 3rd person view is a design choice because of X-Box & Microsoft involvement. I have not played X-Box, but my son has for many years now, and it seems to me that the 3rd person view "works" better on console?

Following on from that comment - I wonder where that leaves Steam releases and mods and such like. X-Box, and by extension the "Windows store" versions of games, classically are not friendly to "modding" - nor even to running your own private servers. X-Box likes things nicely locked down with no chance of fiddling with the game other than how they choose to ship it. Is it the intent to run the Official server network through Game Pass?

I am feeling less and less that Ark 2 is gonna be a thing on my radar - but hey I would love to be proved wrong!

Edited by DirkInSA

• Volunteer Moderator
58 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

3rd person view "works" better on console?

Na, it's the shift from a 1st person 'shooter' type of game (notice Ark is called shootergame in the code) and the Souls like combat that focuses on melee. Ranged shooting is pretty terrible in Souls combat.

We know how they are going to use mods in Xbox but it does make you wonder how the Steam version will do it (or if there even will be a Steam version, has that been announced?).

EDIT: It's on the Steam store already so I suppose that answers that part.

Edited by Joebl0w13

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, DirkInSA said:

I am feeling less and less that Ark 2 is gonna be a thing on my radar

Really, it's a different game with dinosaurs in it. It doesn't feel like an Ark 2.

I don't care about parkour and climbing and all that jazz. Maybe it spices up PvP? Is what it is, I'll give it a shot but I'm pretty sure it's not for me.

Edited by Joebl0w13
  • Like 1

Let's hope they don't remove our option to switch between them. They may take it away in such a manner that server admins and what have you, will just be stuck with "iphone option": "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit" kind of scenario. Where you just have to deal with the fact that devs made it third person always for rides and fps for on foot. Third person on foot is such an unfair advantage, BUT I believe and I'm sure many can agree that we should have the option retained to make our servers the way we see fit. Having the freedom to choose options is very important, that is something the community needs to include in their rants, chants, gripes, comments, and what have you in forums; in hopes that the devs and those involved will see this.

• 1 month later...

I've only been playing Ark for about three weeks and I'm loving it.

I won't be purchasing Ark 2 if there is no first-person view, however.  I play games like this to immerse myself in the world.  First-person achieves that far more effectively.

The most successful games offer more options for players, not less.

Cheers.

Edited by Michlo

I can't see why they can't give the option (without mods) to have 1st person mode...  It seems that is mostly because of the new combat...

So why can't we have 3rd person mode, but when you equip a weapon, it goes to third person....   You press the dive roll button, it switches immediately to 3rd person to see the animation. 

Something a bit more dynamic would work for those that need the 1st person mode to function.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 4:28 AM, Joebl0w13 said:

Na, it's the shift from a 1st person 'shooter' type of game (notice Ark is called shootergame in the code) and the Souls like combat that focuses on melee. Ranged shooting is pretty terrible in Souls combat.

We know how they are going to use mods in Xbox but it does make you wonder how the Steam version will do it (or if there even will be a Steam version, has that been announced?).

EDIT: It's on the Steam store already so I suppose that answers that part.

Isn't shootergame just the default .exe filename in the unreal engine? I've seen a few unreal games come out with shootergame.exe as their executable and given how rushed to release Ark 1 was it's little surprise if they forgot to or didn't bother changing the .exe file name.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, VidarFeral said:

Isn't shootergame just the default .exe filename in the unreal engine? I've seen a few unreal games come out with shootergame.exe as their executable and given how rushed to release Ark 1 was it's little surprise if they forgot to or didn't bother changing the .exe file name.

That’s what it appears to be.