First person view is important in ARK

AUTO6

Please let players to choose between 1st and 3rd person view in ARK 2. I always played ARK in FPP view while on foot and TPP view while I was riding dinos and for me is the best combo. So please let us keep first person mode. I know people can add FPP in mods but why it can be option i vanila game? I don't understand this choice to use third person view only :/

• Like 3

• Volunteer Moderator

The combat system is being completely overhauled.

I understand why people really want to have 1st person installed, but currently you have little understanding of how 1st person might affect that combat system. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a combat system that wouldn't really work as effectively in 1st person mode.

I think we really need to see gameplay footage first.

• Like 2

I understand that probably in ARK 2 it's better to fight in TPP (because fighting is more like in souls games) so devs decided for only TPP gameplay but why not to add FPP too (if 1st person is not good for fighting in ARK 2 noone will use it for close combat like in ARK 1 most players fighting on dinos are using TPP). I'm sure FPP is still better in some aspects (building, walking inside buildings or small caves, shooting arrows etc.) and it's way more immersive during exploration. ARK is not only close combat, most of the time we could use both TPP and FPP (everyone will choose perspective he like more to play). Giving a choice is never a bad idea, let us play ARK 2 as we like the most. I know moddrs could help but modders are for adding new cool stuff to the game not for fixing the game.

At first I was set aback by third person only but it makes sense if you think about it. Ark 1s 1st person combat is embarrassingly bad with your character swinging into the air not actually making contact with anything. I think it is way harder to make melee combat in first person good and prolly even harder to make a game that has good feeling third person AND first person combat, especially with rolls and dodges. Additionally, ark 1 has quite a few balance issues by allowing first and third person, for example, sometimes you can throw c4 a little further or around a corner in third person or get a shot you cant get in first person. I think it will actually end up being a lot better but hopefully it's not zoomed out too much.

I went from very excited for ARK 2 down to better wait and see. Souls-Like and Third Person only doesn't really sound that promising, last time they had a third person only game ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/529180/Dark_and_Light/) using the ARK formula it was not good at all. From what I can tell using the limited info available, the game is trying to be ARK with souls-like elements and bits of newer assassins creed games. I feel that at the very least having the option of 1st person is a very important feature that will keep ARK 2 feeling like a squeal and not just a different game with ARK in the title.

Edited by Araciel
  • Like 1

If we're talking about 3rd person view. I hope camera will be behind character's back (our character in the center of the screen), not behind character's shoulder like in many console games (charter more in the left or right side of the screen).

Good:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bmR-kXtgPec/maxresdefault.jpg

Bad:

https://tm.ibxk.com.br/2017/06/21/21161949833882.jpg?ims=1200x675

We desperately need some gameplay of ARK 2 (even very short) to see what is devs concept for the game.

• Like 1

I'm more worried about building and actually using things indoors. Always wonky with the camera indoors on third person games.
And this is a bigger part of the game for a lot of players than player combat.

I do hope they don't make the game slower than ark is today in regards to opening storage and such. Comparing to Conan Exiles for example, always a slog going back to that game after having played ark.

Will see how it is in the first gameplay videos, but history of third person games don't leave me with a lot of hope.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/13/2022 at 2:57 PM, Creb said:

Its a pvp view so you dont get snuck up on as easily. 

Is'n that not what makes good PvP? detecting people sneaking up from behind should be done with sound design and not by using outside camera.
I would call TPP more PvE for all the "cheating" you can do with the look-around-the-corner with changing camera.

I would also like the FPP to make it more intence. For all new features it would be nice to offer choice in server setting and I think for example in combat it is more player skill based gameplay if you do not target-lock. I will give it a chance if this is the choice of the developers. 

Edited by mgoolong

The reason for me to come to this forum and see how other Arkplayers react to this 3rdperson only thing. 

I think, it's a big mistake, taking the first person view thing away. Perhaps modders can change that, but honestly, I'm totally with Karionus if he says "If I wanted Souls-like combat, I’d play a Souls game. I personally lost some interest in ARK 2 when I read the camera and combat changes. " yes, same here!

Ark is one of the best games of all times for me. But in the last times a lot of big names failed and changed their following games to death. Look at BF2042..

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 5:08 AM, Tylanater said:

At first I was set aback by third person only but it makes sense if you think about it. Ark 1s 1st person combat is embarrassingly bad with your character swinging into the air not actually making contact with anything. I think it is way harder to make melee combat in first person good and prolly even harder to make a game that has good feeling third person AND first person combat, especially with rolls and dodges. Additionally, ark 1 has quite a few balance issues by allowing first and third person, for example, sometimes you can throw c4 a little further or around a corner in third person or get a shot you cant get in first person. I think it will actually end up being a lot better but hopefully it's not zoomed out too much.

Chronicles of Ridsausage nailed the melee combat for first person in my opinion.

EDIT

Seeing as Chronicles of Ridsausage is one of the games/movie series Vin Diesel is known for, I don't think it should be censored on that Ark forum lol.

Edited by UltimatePowa
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2022 at 6:44 AM, Molimo said:

The reason for me to come to this forum and see how other Arkplayers react to this 3rdperson only thing. 

I think, it's a big mistake, taking the first person view thing away. Perhaps modders can change that, but honestly, I'm totally with Karionus if he says "If I wanted Souls-like combat, I’d play a Souls game. I personally lost some interest in ARK 2 when I read the camera and combat changes. " yes, same here!

Ark is one of the best games of all times for me. But in the last times a lot of big names failed and changed their following games to death. Look at BF2042..

If they nail the combat, meaning its not terribly challenging like Dark Souls can be, then I think it could work out great.
Valheim is an excellent Survival Game similar to Ark and that is 3rd person.
Probably the two main driving factors behind this decision was Elden Ring's success and Valheim's sudden success.

I feel 1st person should still be an option for when walking around primarily, but also when harvesting or in combat.
And by in combat, it probably won't be too functional but that's fine.

I do prefer the first person mode in ARK, however from what I can glimpse based on what they've said and shown, Ark2 is looking like a completely different type of game/gameplay. So, it could be that 3rd person suits that design a lot more. Or as a compromise have 3rd person mode engaged when you take out a melee weapon. If combat is as they say 'Souls like' it means the entire game is built on totally different mechanics and barring lore and imagery probably won't have much in common with Ark. As such it will be a massive departure from the winning formula of Ark and quite the gamble. No doubt Modders will make a version more akin to Ark and add FPS mode.

On 6/13/2022 at 1:49 AM, GP said:

The combat system is being completely overhauled.

I understand why people really want to have 1st person installed, but currently you have little understanding of how 1st person might affect that combat system. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a combat system that wouldn't really work as effectively in 1st person mode.

I think we really need to see gameplay footage first.

Nobody asked for souls-like combat and Creed parkour though (except maybe Vin Diesel). People *are* asking for 1St person. 

• Facepalm 1

On 7/13/2022 at 6:57 AM, KingOfAshes said:

I do prefer the first person mode in ARK, however from what I can glimpse based on what they've said and shown, Ark2 is looking like a completely different type of game/gameplay. So, it could be that 3rd person suits that design a lot more. Or as a compromise have 3rd person mode engaged when you take out a melee weapon. If combat is as they say 'Souls like' it means the entire game is built on totally different mechanics and barring lore and imagery probably won't have much in common with Ark. As such it will be a massive departure from the winning formula of Ark and quite the gamble. No doubt Modders will make a version more akin to Ark and add FPS mode.

If you want to make a "completely different kind of game" don't do it in a sequel with an invested fan base.  Do your experiment on a new IP.  This is common sense that appears to be lacking across the entire entertainment Industry.  Instead of Ark being unique,  next gen ark will be described as "like" something else. 

Imagine if Jurassic World Evolution 2 came out and it was a Battle Royale fps game.. 

Imagine if the next Call of Duty was an RTS Tower builder,  with multiplayer. 

Edited by Mephilis78