First experiences with Ark?

Peteed1

My first experience with Ark was when it first appeared on steam as early access and loving dinosaurs I bought it and I launched the game with a really high end video card and system only to get 6 FPS and spawn right next to a Dilo who proceeded to eat me. I was expecting the game to teach me what to do and not spawn me right next to an enemy like that but also kind of didn't expect 6 fps as well.

Game got thrown into the pile of "garbage games" alongside Baldur's Gate 2 who's tutorial said "we will make the area to click to disarm a trap glow red" and nothing glowed red making the tutorial impossible to pass. Now knowing more about game dev after my courses I think Baldur's Gate 2 was probably because my PC was too new and driver updates don't get done for old games so was likely the video card not showing the red and not the game itself at fault. 

I ended up totally ignoring the game after that until after Extinction released before finally trying it again and how have over 3000 hours in it.

However I still have no skill at controlling dinos so I can't do stuff like taking an army of rexes into the tek cave to solo the boss on island. I also struggle with settings so that I can breed and imprint things on single player properly because the default week long time for growing babies is horrid especially if it's on single player since closing the game stops the timer so 1 week becomes more like a month and that's just for one generation.

11 hours ago, Peteed1 said:

My first experience with Ark was when it first appeared on steam as early access and loving dinosaurs I bought it and I launched the game with a really high end video card and system only to get 6 FPS and spawn right next to a Dilo who proceeded to eat me. I was expecting the game to teach me what to do and not spawn me right next to an enemy like that but also kind of didn't expect 6 fps as well. Game got thrown into the pile of "garbage games" alongside Baldur's Gate 2 who's tutorial said "we will make the area to click to disarm a trap glow red" and nothing glowed red making the tutorial impossible to pass. Now knowing more about game dev after my courses I think Baldur's Gate 2 was probably because my PC was too new and driver updates don't get done for old games so was likely the video card not showing the red and not the game itself at fault. I ended up totally ignoring the game after that until after Extinction released before finally trying it again and how have over 3000 hours in it.However I still have no skill at controlling dinos so I can't do stuff like taking an army of rexes into the tek cave to solo the boss on island. I also struggle with settings so that I can breed and imprint things on single player properly because the default week long time for growing babies is horrid especially if it's on single player since closing the game stops the timer so 1 week becomes more like a month and that's just for one generation.

I used to have the settings for "10 minute rex's" will have to wait to get a chance to look it up if you want, but since your on single player, it shouldn't take more than an hour or two to fully mature a rex from egg?

Go into your settings and make sure you take a look at the check box for "single player settings" Once its enabled, you should be able to breed things at a much more manageable rate.
If the cool down timer for your females to reproduce is too long, go into the "advanced" tab in the settings menu and look for the mating cool down timer, and just slide it down.....You can halve it or even just turn it to a super low setting such as 0.02 to just allow the rex's to more or less constantly mate. Be warned tho, don't overwhelm yourself with a couple dozen babies, and if you adjust the baby growth rate you will need to adjust the imprint settings as well or else you will not get the full imprint bonus. And considering thats a 33% buff to health and damage, its a healthy chunk of power you will loose because of those adjustments.

As for commanding a team of combatants into the tek cave, you may find trying to bring therizino's inside is much easier than rex's.
They can have near rex like stats, can eat veggie cakes which heals them up dering a fight or dureing the ride down, and since they are smaller, can manuver a pinch easier than the rex's.
Now with that said, I would still encourage you to use a high leveled, perhaps even slightly mutated rex with a tek saddle and ascendent saddle to deal with most of the pests down the path. First shoot the creatures from afar with the tek saddle, and if any of them get close enough, quickly change the tek saddle to the ascendent saddle to take reduced damage while you chomp on them the normal way.
As for the theri's, whistle them to be passive, hop on the rex and tell one to follow your rex, then hop on it and tell another whistle it follow the first theri. Then another and another until everyone is following everyone else to create a dino train.

You may have to hop off the rex and adjust them from time to time, but otherwise, its a fairly easy process.......You don't even have to wait for the tek cave, you can practice anytime you do a boss run. Anytime its time for a boss fight, instead of useing cryopods, you can just run them from your base to the Oblisk and kinda get a feel for how you should do it later on. Just avoid the dense jungles and swamp and you can get a feel for how it should work.

my first experience was.. like.. november of 2015 maybe? i dunno tbh. but i remember i spawns on the east beach in the south east part of the island, on that sort of trench bordering the swamp. my first experience was me and a friend spending 3 hours trying to get a titanboa out of our house because he decided to take up residence. i remember another friend had our bronto on follow and forgot and lead it out into the ocean and it dround. another tribe mate took our first quetzal into the swamp and didn't know how to use whistles and it died because a big bit him and the quetzal got in a fight with a swarm of bugs and got really high in the sky. all dumb things

Archived