DLC engrams not available for new Characters.

Tomm1e1

Before I start, I know that the map is just out and will probibly need some time to work out the kinks.

Im playing singleplayer on PS4/5 and i decided to go into Fjordur as a new character. Firstly before playing survival I flew around in creative mode, and I noticed as is custom that there are dlc creatures on the map. I thought this was great until I loaded up survival and looked at the engrams available. Seems that only base game engrams are available. So while there are Basilisks, Magmasaurs and R-Snow owls on Fjordur you cannot use them.

Im hoping that this only an oversight and that this was not intended.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Evza said:

This is currently intentional behaviour, you will need to take your character to other maps to learn DLC-specific engrams there.

Supplycrates however do drop DLC items, so craftables such as DLC creatures' saddles may be obtained that way instead.

Thank you for the reply. So the materials are there in case you have the engrams from elsewhere? You say “currently intentional” which makes it sound like they may be unlocked later?

• Wildcard QA
43 minutes ago, Karionus said:

Thank you for the reply. So the materials are there in case you have the engrams from elsewhere?

Yeah as you can upload your existing characters on Fjordur, you can bring unlocked engrams from other maps with you.

44 minutes ago, Karionus said:

You say “currently intentional” which makes it sound like they may be unlocked later?

Ah, I did make it sound like that, however there are no plans to unlock them later on  (that I'm aware of)

2 hours ago, Evza said:

Yeah as you can upload your existing characters on Fjordur, you can bring unlocked engrams from other maps with you.

Ah, I did make it sound like that, however there are no plans to unlock them later on  (that I'm aware of)

Yikes, bit of an odd choice, considering every free DLC has given access to more engrams with each successive release.  Also particularly odd given the availability of different tames (yes I read your post re the supply crates).  C'est la vie, and here I thought it was just an oversight on the part of wildcard.

3 hours ago, Evza said:

This is not only unprecedented but also deeply impractical, not only materials, but also saddles for the creatures ON THE MAP have to be learned somewhere else. The map has almost as many resources and creatures as Genesis but you lock away everything but base game engrams? Every day Wildcard shows again and again they doesn't hear the community - AT ALL.

4 hours ago, AoshiKearun said:

This is not only unprecedented but also deeply impractical…

The more I think about it the less sense it makes. Aberration didn’t have Scorched mats in case I transferred from there. Extinction might have had replacements for all Abb materials but I’m not 100% sure of that. Non-canonical maps have had resources to support the engrams, but never resources just because someone might transfer there with them. I was looking forward to Fjordur because I was underwhelmed by Lost Island but now there’s this, and ARK 2 isn’t impressing me with the planned Souls-like combat and fixed third-person view. 

I for one find this extremely frustrating. Especially after I just played through lost island that had ALL THE DLC ENGRAMS UNLOCKED with less dlc creatures. I don't understand how this makes any sense whatsoever. For people who are like me who host a local server for myself and friends on a second xbox, this is very annoying as transferring characters is a massive hassle and honestly I can't even remember if it's possible at all. Please change this! May I also add that this is the last map of the game! Let us have our d*mn engrams.

I got all the DLC myself but other players are complaining about locked engrams on Fjordur. Just been reading through some youtube comments about a vid of the map. Perhaps the devs just overlooked it. Not having hazmat suits to even reach rockdrakes too.

Now before people start saying "Just go to lost island", that's a workaround. Yes. But it does not change the fact that if a player is doing a "only on this map run" then they can't do that. Because if they did it would defeat the whole point of staying only on a map.

There's zero reason not to have the option. The only work around on the map itself I can think of is blueprint drops. That's if the saddles and hazmat suits are in them. That aside I still think the player should be able to make the dino saddles and hazmat suits even if there are blueprints (pretty sure the resorces are there. Just not allowed to unlock the engrams. Which is silly). Are the devs going to unlock the engrams in a later patch?

Also can anyone confirm if hazmat suits and certain dino saddles (like the rockdrake) are drops or blueprints? That at least would be an "on the map" work around.

Noticed engrams aren't even showing for some things (not greyed out. Just not on the menu). Probably because I didn't download the other DLC to save space. Thought I'd point it out in case "activating" them is thought of but "making them appear on the engram menu" isn't.

Would a unlock all engrams cheat unlock the stuff that's not even showing in this case? Trying to save storage space by not downloading other maps I don't intend to be on. 1TB hard drive. Totally need to upgrade that. XD

22 hours ago, Evza said:

Alright, I just found out we will be allowing all of the DLC engrams to be unlocked on Fjordur after all. :D
Coming soon ™️

No disrespect intended, but the sooner the better. This is ridiculous considering the last non-story map gave you everything.

I started as a new character as well. Why? Because when I took a level 107 or 108 character to Lost Island, it was eventually nerfed to a level 88 or something. That put me right smack dab in to middle of nothing. No new game grind and no full benefit of the leveled character. I was in the not so fun part of the game where you never level on a map with no explorer notes.  

I like to save characters and progress to play around later if I want to. Ark is so ambiguous with "new character" vs. loading the save and possibly losing it all (console player here) I am in no hurry to repeatedly risk losing everything to travel to several maps to unlock engrams just to make use of the dlc creatures and those tasty looking oil veins I cannot interact with.  I would also appreciate it if someone could fully explain all of the ins and outs of traveling across the arks as a single player on console and how to properly use the system. That includes the ramifications of playing both offline and multiplayer online. Do I lose my OG Beach Bob on The Island single player if I create a new character and join Rag online? What if Beach Bob travels online? 

Archived