Redefining the Survival Genre with ARK 2 and an Update from our Studio Founders

StudioWildcard

On 6/16/2022 at 1:23 AM, TimeBomb2003 said:

I asked for it. Or at the very least wanted a better combat system. Which we will now be getting! You really see no benefits for changing the system from left click left click left click left click, to actually having to block and dodge and all that?

If you want a different combat system, that is ofc up to you. Perfectly fine to desire, and I want something new added too.

But calling it left click makes me wonder how much you know about how foot PvP actually works on a competitive level.

Here are key pillars of being decent on foot ( I am bad, compared to really good players):

Bolas

Nets

Grapples

Cutters

Shield blocking

Whips

Parachutes

Switching flak pieces in-combat

Plant Z Fruit

Narc nades

C4 traps

Plant Y traps

Turret traps

There is more. Add different PvP dinos into the mix... Gameplay is very rich and deep in terms of mastery.

If this is new to you, just watch some youtube clips of high lvl PvP. It's pretty cool.

Again, I want WC to take risks and innovate. I support that fully. But I don't believe in a souls type gameplay direction.

As alluring as it can be to see that large gaming segment, it is a very different crowd of gamers. Ark is a different beast. Much more team based, much grittier and dirtier, much more high risk, much higher consequence, much more sandboxy open world. In short, much less arcadey.

Edited by WaterDrop

3 hours ago, WaterDrop said:

If you want a different combat system, that is ofc up to you. Perfectly fine to desire, and I want something new added too.

But calling it left click makes me wonder how much you know about how foot PvP actually works on a competitive level.

Here are key pillars of being decent on foot ( I am bad, compared to really good players):

Bolas

Nets

Grapples

Cutters

Shield blocking

Whips

Parachutes

Switching flak pieces in-combat

Plant Z Fruit

Narc nades

C4 traps

Plant Y traps

Turret traps

There is more. Add different PvP dinos into the mix... Gameplay is very rich and deep in terms of mastery.

If this is new to you, just watch some youtube clips of high lvl PvP. It's pretty cool.

Again, I want WC to take risks and innovate. I support that fully. But I don't believe in a souls type gameplay direction.

As alluring as it can be to see that large gaming segment, it is a very different crowd of gamers. Ark is a different beast. Much more team based, much grittier and dirtier, much more high risk, much higher consequence, much more sandboxy open world. In short, much less arcadey.

Some really good points here. And on top of that - even PvE combat was not left click spam. There was heaps more involved with PvE combat - like positioning (dinosaurs can easily kill you so you need to out position them), some dinosaurs had special abilities (spit, poison, ambush etc) that you needed to counter - which would impact your strategy / how you approach a situation / what weapons you use. You would need to go into dangerous environments in order to get certain resources (caves for example), which would severely impact how much room you had to move / introduce new threats (such as cliffs) that would make the combat more complex again. Really the only “left click spam” in the game was if you were riding a dinosaur and killing other dinosaurs - oh and how surprising, adding changes to this (which again I’m indifferent to this but I wouldn’t mind if players wanted changes to the dinosaur vs dinosaur combat), this yet again has nothing to do with Third Person / First Person being a requirement of the game. 

On 6/14/2022 at 10:22 AM, Fawxxy said:

Yeah, after reading “soul-like combat” that took away my preorder. Might stick to Ark instead. 

Im sure itll be great, but I play Ark to just have fun on PvE. Locked 3rd person will ruin the best part of Ark for me. Congrats on the latest DLC release, Im so happy I got to experience this game from the start until now. 

its been a great journey, all the best on the new game. X

They said we could use mods to add it back

On 6/26/2022 at 7:21 AM, GP said:

Although this is true, many people seem to forget that a lot of people that are unhappy about 3rd person only are official players and therefore mods won't help.

I would not have had to spam post if you moderators actually responded to questions over why your game isn’t working the way it’s supposed to…… please to do not threaten me without giving me a reasonable answer to my problems. 

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, MickThorpe1 said:

I would not have had to spam post if you moderators actually responded to questions over why your game isn’t working the way it’s supposed to…… please to do not threaten me without giving me a reasonable answer to my problems. 

Please chill. When I said "mods won't help" I mean game mods on Steam workshop, because that's what the discussion was about. Therefore no-one was threatening anyone.

If you have an issue with the game then report it on the appropriate bugs forum: https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/bugs/

17 hours ago, MickThorpe1 said:

why your game isn’t working the way it’s supposed to

>your game isn't working the way it's supposed to

>your game

>your

Well I'll be damned, didn't know VOLUNTEER forum mods have immediate insider knowledge on and control over why things don't work in the game

Edited by CosmicSkeleton

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, GeneralTalon said:

Yo, Ark devs. More people remember Alan Tudyk from Firefly than from Rogue One.

I used to work security at a club many moons ago. Steve the Pirate asked out my girlfriend of all of 4 days (who worked there as well).

Crazy times.

• 4 weeks later...

Please don’t remove third person. I love the feeling of being inside the game. I think third person would really destroy that.

Another thing I would not want in ark 2 is the combat stuff. I play ark because I don’t enjoy that type of combat game. 

The other thing I am not sure about is opposing pve force. I play PVE when I just want to chill and play. I think this, if done poorly, could take away from the main focus of surviving against the environment. 

Everything else looks amazing. New creature ai, dynamic world events, and massive maps sound very good.

• 11 months later...