Redefining the Survival Genre with ARK 2 and an Update from our Studio Founders

StudioWildcard

14 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

to all of you who are complaining about third person view only, it is probably a design choice so they don't have to waste resources trying to make a dodge roll look correct in first person especially if they are going to be designing a heavy movement oriented system. I mean, i dunno i am not like a part of the team, i just know if i was going to be designing a game with alot of that sort of movement i probably would enforce third person as well. *shrugs* plus parkour just looks cooler in third person.

Well if they don't "waste the resources" we aren't playing.

Yeah, after reading “soul-like combat” that took away my preorder. Might stick to Ark instead. 

Im sure itll be great, but I play Ark to just have fun on PvE. Locked 3rd person will ruin the best part of Ark for me. Congrats on the latest DLC release, Im so happy I got to experience this game from the start until now. 

its been a great journey, all the best on the new game. X

• Like 3

I find it a bit difficult to get excited over Ark2 when it's going to be an exclusive title for pc and xbox, neither of which I own nor ever will, especially just for another unsupported  Wild Card game. It's become very obvious over the past several years that somebody at Snail Games and Wild Card studios does not like to make money. Obviously not informing their investors of purposely avoiding making money for them. Very clearly the case here again, 100s of millions of potential players, money, being left out. Very odd business model you people have there.

• Like 1

Bob is here, he better get the nickname of Beach Bob before the animated series is over.

I can't wait for Ark 2, I've loved this game ever since I first heard of it back when it had that old hud.  You all have made a marvelous game, but please take your own time with these games.  It has been a beautiful and amazing ride these past years, and I thank all of you, everyone who knows about Ark, everyone who worked on it, everyone who modded it.

Just thank all of you.

6.5k hours, mostly unofficial PvP.

The biggest negative to me is by far the souls gameplay. To me it is a shocking direction to take the ARK franchise. I'm stunned. I really don't want a fighter game experience, not something I enjoy, at all. I want an FPS experience, and I believe this is a big reason that ARK is so popular. Did anybody in the community ask for this?

I get that you want to take risks to innovate and you should, but these are very different game genres IMO. I see no upside with this potentially highly polarizing decision. Player skill was mentioned, but 1v1 foot PvP is incredibly skills based in ARK 1 so that statement makes zero sense. I'm shaking my head as I am writing this.

The 3rd person view decision is a close second. I'm cautiously negative about this. I don't think it is a good decision to remove 1st person gameplay, but far from as critically bad as the souls thing.

Many of the rest of the gameplay announcements look cool and very promising. A new refreshed skills system is what we need, a more developed dino/player detection system sounds really nice, new crafting system that adds varieity and more uniqueness makes me curious, some PvE bot tribes would be really good for new players and the PvE crowd I guess too, and the engine looks sick.

What you have to my knowledge not said anything about at all, are what are at the top #1 and #2 spots on my prioirity list.

* Completely new mesh & map system, redesigned from the ground up for zero map exploits.

* Anti-cheat, aim bot, duping, off-server ghosting and all the other malicious experience crippling exploits. This is why playing on unofficial with highly active community admins is for many the only meaningful way to play.

I can't get over the above souls game things tho, such a strong negative. I find it very hard to feel excited right now.

Edited by WaterDrop
  • Like 3

On 6/12/2022 at 2:22 PM, HighFlyer15 said:

Did you read it all? Modders can re-enable First Person mode :) Combat? Well, stick to dinos? XD ARK literally doesn't have any kind of combat. So if you can survive with what we have, you can survive this, I'm sure.

We shouldn't have to rely on modders to enable such a basic feature as first person.  That's ridiculous.  A third person only game is a game I will never waste my money on, it's deal breaker.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HippiHarlow said:

We shouldn't have to rely on modders to enable such a basic feature as first person.  That's ridiculous.  A third person only game is a game I will never waste my money on, it's deal breaker.

And to add to this mans point - mods are NOT going to magically fix the issue. The reason is because deciding to neglect First Person from the core of the game will cause design / mechanics decisions that will not be magically fixed by changing the camera. Whereas if they include First Person within the core of the game - they are developing the game with the First Person experience included within their considerations.

And as a side note - there are plenty of combat systems which are extremely successful and First Person based, Dying Light is a perfect example (which showcases better movement as well). So no, trying to force Third Person Only was definitely not something that was critical for a combat system, and removing the immersion from the experience will be a far greater negative. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/14/2022 at 2:06 PM, WaterDrop said:

6.5k hours, mostly unofficial PvP.

The biggest negative to me is by far the souls gameplay. To me it is a shocking direction to take the ARK franchise. I'm stunned. I really don't want a fighter game experience, not something I enjoy, at all. I want an FPS experience, and I believe this is a big reason that ARK is so popular. Did anybody in the community ask for this?

I asked for it. Or at the very least wanted a better combat system. Which we will now be getting! You really see no benefits for changing the system from left click left click left click left click, to actually having to block and dodge and all that?

Edited by TimeBomb2003
  • Facepalm 1

49 minutes ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

Man, only the Ark community would get upset about adding an actual combat system.

Adding a combat system is fine - I’m indifferent to whether a new combat system is added or not. But definitely not at the cost of First Person. First Person is a critical component to what makes the game fun because it adds immersion / intensity / keeps you on your toes. So if they want to add a new combat system they can do so without removing First Person from the game - Dying Light is a perfect example of a game that has a combat system / movement system whilst retaining First Person

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Having mixed feelings about the new game mechanics inspiration, my biggest worry is the new partner: Grove Street did have a big Ooophsy with the state in wich GTA project was released. Ok, they patched a few issues fairly quick but that should never have been allowed to happen!

I love to play ARK but my biggest issue sofar has always been how Wildcard is handling their quality assurance and communications about issues. Teaming up with a partner that is even worse on that part is kind of worrysome.

Anyhow, I wasn't jumping on the hypetrain before and we don't even know when it will come to PS5 so I'll grab my popcorn and just see how it all goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, EnRoute2FYB said:

Please for the love of your player base - add First Person as a standard feature in Ark 2. This decision is extremely important because the decision to include / exclude First Person will obviously cause repercussions in terms of the game design / mechanics. So I don’t think it will be a simple case of “a modder can adding First Person back into the game” solving the issues that will come with making the base game Third Person Only.

First Person was such a fundamental component of what made the first Ark so successful. If you’re asking why? It’s what made the game immersive, intense, scary, made shooting bows / crossbows / guns so fun plus much more (exploring caves / going on adventures and being kept on your toes). Feeling like you’re walking in the shoes of your character and you’re always in danger - that is what made Ark so unique and made it so successful as a “survival” game. You simply cannot replicate that sort of experience in a Third Person Only game - the immersion is just not there. 

As someone who has easily spent 10K+ hours playing Ark, and who has played with a tonne of other serious players - I know that a lot of core players feel the same way. So I hope the executives reconsider this decision and look at how they can incorporate First Person into the game from the get go, so that we can ensure Ark 2 retains the immersion that was so amazing in the first one. And if the executives think this is only a “personal opinion” - I would highly encourage them to reach out to the community and ask them, because I have both played with and spoken to a tonne of Ark players over the years and I can guarantee there are a mountain of players who feel the same  way.

I’m really surprised that the executives didn’t realise how much the First Person experience added to the first game and the survival experience as a whole, because I feel like if they had they never would have considered Third Person Only as an option for Ark 2

This! So much this.

I can understand the need for 3rd person for the combat to work but outside of that we need to be able to be in first person. I personally would do everything I can to avoid the melee combat then just to avoid 3rd person view. It could give me a different angle to play other than go in and fight (which I don't want to do. I don't do PVP for a reason).

As @EnRoute2FYBsaid, the pull of Ark was the immersion. Experiencing the environment from "my own perspective". That's not 3rd person.

There are a bunch of other games that are absolutely amazing (HZD, Hitman) which I genuinely want to continue playing but the forced 3rd person camera makes me play other titles instead whenever I have time. That title is usually Ark 1. Why? Definitely not the story or the gameplay loops. It's the immersion factor. I fear that without said immersion, Ark2 will also be those games that I would want to play but never do.

• Thanks 1

Hey, Wild Card! Give us  the option to play in 1rst perron, because that's What ARK is known for and what everyone and their grandma is used to. do you WANT to lose another gargantuan chunk of your player base? Are you trying to go bankrupt? Seriously listen to your fans more, We don't want a 3rd person only game. that's going to make WAY too many things more of a headache than it has any right to be.

Edited by TyranntX
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2022 at 12:25 PM, Griffin998 said:

To be fair, they do say ARK 2 will have an emphasis on primitive combat. But then, I suppose that does include the bow and arrow, doesn't it?

Grug throwing rocks is also primitive combat. Not sure about you but if I'm gonna unga bunga I'd rather do the predictions of the rock's fall off in first person rather than over grug's shoulder.

5 hours ago, TyranntX said:

Hey, Wild Card! Give us  the option to play in 1rst perron, because that's What ARK is known for and what everyone and their grandma is used to. do you WANT to lose another gargantuan chunk of your player base? Are you trying to go bankrupt? Seriously listen to your fans more, We don't want a 3rd person only game. that's going to make WAY too many things more of a headache than it has any right to be.

If said 3rd perron view is going to be identical to the 3rd perron view in Ark 1, yes that would suck a lot. However, due to the fact that it's going to be only 3rd perron view, the game is more than likely going to be designed around it, and as such, will be a lot more streamlined than the current 3rd perron.

Also, another point, why on earth would you want MORE of what you're used to? Wouldn't it be a whole lot more exiting to get unique gameplay, and new ideas rather than just more of the same?

1 hour ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

If said 3rd perron view is going to be identical to the 3rd perron view in Ark 1, yes that would suck a lot. However, due to the fact that it's going to be only 3rd perron view, the game is more than likely going to be designed around it, and as such, will be a lot more streamlined than the current 3rd perron.

Also, another point, why on earth would you want MORE of what you're used to? Wouldn't it be a whole lot more exiting to get unique gameplay, and new ideas rather than just more of the same?

Why would you completely change the game and still name it the same thing? We are comfortable with the view they have now, 3rd person will ruin gun play, if their is even guns in game. We can already climb mountains and all kinds of stuff like flying. The only reason to do third person only is for melee combat, which would be useless if it anything like the first game with shotguns and grenade launchers. And if all technology is gone DILO happens to it. Gen 2 we had the epitome of technology but it's gonna go back to fighting with spears???? Why??? How do you loose an entire spaceship???

On 6/14/2022 at 11:22 AM, Fawxxy said:

Yeah, after reading “soul-like combat” that took away my preorder. Might stick to Ark instead. 

Im sure itll be great, but I play Ark to just have fun on PvE. Locked 3rd person will ruin the best part of Ark for me. Congrats on the latest DLC release, Im so happy I got to experience this game from the start until now. 

its been a great journey, all the best on the new game. X

Same here, I was so excited but now I'm not even going to touch it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stevenreese1998 said:

Why would you completely change the game and still name it the same thing? We are comfortable with the view they have now, 3rd person will ruin gun play, if their is even guns in game. We can already climb mountains and all kinds of stuff like flying. The only reason to do third person only is for melee combat, which would be useless if it anything like the first game with shotguns and grenade launchers. And if all technology is gone DILO happens to it. Gen 2 we had the epitome of technology but it's gonna go back to fighting with spears???? Why??? How do you loose an entire spaceship???

Losing a spaceship is entirely plausible. The large chunks would disintegrate at least mostly, and the smaller chunks would be totally vaporized. So when you look at it that way, losing a spaceship is entirely plausible, and also considering that Santiago was shown with no armor or anything in the end cutscene.