Redefining the Survival Genre with ARK 2 and an Update from our Studio Founders

StudioWildcard

the only thing im sad about looking at this is that it doesnt look like we can create our own characters, vin diesel is cool love his content but id like to be a female character, i hope there is character creation. looking forward either way though. also if there is pvp vin diesel beter be ready with 5k hours in pvp on official i aint gonna be easy to beat :D

Edited by Lavadrop1

so what i can take away from this. so i don't mind dark souls combat as long as it does not rip to mush from it and its your own take. and taking away first person does not make sense to me just to add it as a mod is a slap to the face for people who like to play official but i will give it a benefit of a doubt and just like the survivors i can adapt to.

13 hours ago, FOX8619 said:

we all play 3dr view when mounted but on foot 1st person view is a must for me even more when comes to build

The same. I tried but I just can't play ARK in FPP on foot, game is much less immersive for me so please devs let us choose between 1st and 3rd person view like in ARK 1 and everyone will be happy.

• Like 1

Gonna be skipping your next game. Some of the changes don't sound good, and the precedent that has been set with Ark 1 is not a good one. Unfortunately enough people will buy in to it so you will likely remain blind to what infuriates many others.

Optimise your game and delivery model. Update sizes for Ark are beyond ridiculous. It's a shame, this game can be so cool. Except it's often eye-rollingly tedious to even get started playing it.

It's cool you're giving base Ark away for free.  But for those who've owned that for years, giving away a DLC instead would be a nice touch.

Some of this sounds a bit like ARK with a dash of Monster Hunter and that would not be a bad thing at all!

I am still hoping to hear something about the water environments and praying they bring in waveworks 2.0 (or better) with similar/better sailing models of Atlas.

Still if they can pull off what they have written above this will be a fantastic ride! <3

• Like 2

Please for the love of your player base - add First Person as a standard feature in Ark 2. This decision is extremely important because the decision to include / exclude First Person will obviously cause repercussions in terms of the game design / mechanics. So I don’t think it will be a simple case of “a modder can adding First Person back into the game” solving the issues that will come with making the base game Third Person Only.

First Person was such a fundamental component of what made the first Ark so successful. If you’re asking why? It’s what made the game immersive, intense, scary, made shooting bows / crossbows / guns so fun plus much more (exploring caves / going on adventures and being kept on your toes). Feeling like you’re walking in the shoes of your character and you’re always in danger - that is what made Ark so unique and made it so successful as a “survival” game. You simply cannot replicate that sort of experience in a Third Person Only game - the immersion is just not there. 

As someone who has easily spent 10K+ hours playing Ark, and who has played with a tonne of other serious players - I know that a lot of core players feel the same way. So I hope the executives reconsider this decision and look at how they can incorporate First Person into the game from the get go, so that we can ensure Ark 2 retains the immersion that was so amazing in the first one. And if the executives think this is only a “personal opinion” - I would highly encourage them to reach out to the community and ask them, because I have both played with and spoken to a tonne of Ark players over the years and I can guarantee there are a mountain of players who feel the same  way.

I’m really surprised that the executives didn’t realise how much the First Person experience added to the first game and the survival experience as a whole, because I feel like if they had they never would have considered Third Person Only as an option for Ark 2

Edited by EnRoute2FYB
  • Like 3

On 6/12/2022 at 8:04 PM, StudioWildcard said:

You can now wishlist ARK 2 on Steam here

Wishlist for Ark2 just doesn't seem to do it justice - where's the "I will buy this come hell or high water" button?

EDIT: Now I've learnt more, I may just give this one a miss and see what people say a few months after release, not really my cup of tea unfortunately.

Edited by Luizza
Changed my mind after learning more.

Just adding in my disappointment about 3rd person only.

I really hope you aren't relying on something like "This is going to blow people away and it'll be so great that we'll make converts out of the skeptics" ... I purposely do not play Assassin's Creed, Souls-like games, etc. *because* I don't enjoy 3rd Person view in games. I've been playing since 2015, and I've been so excited for Ark 2, and this is very disappointing to hear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am also disappointed that you make no mention of any mechanics you are implementing to reduce griefing. Ark has become unplayable on official servers for the vast majority of people and I hope you have figured out ways to balance having a fun PVP experience with the ability for new people to enter your game.

Essentially, people have found that the only way they feel safe is to dominate a server with an iron fist and insta-kill anyone they see, regardless of their friendliness or passivity. It doesn't matter how hidden or remote a base is, it gets destroyed by Alpha tribes within a week. 

19 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Well, there's this:

"ARK 2 draws heavily from Souls-like action for its human-scale combat: an emphasis on dodges, blocks, light and heavy attacks, combos, and player-reflex skill – a rarity for the PvP survival genre."

Seems to pretty much imply there will be PvP.

Yes, but not like the old pvp this is more clunky imo, but it sounds like it's not going to be for pvp(or to mutch buttens/combo's to use).

More like for singel player, or slow pace pvp

but seems like the game is going more pve,but we will see.

Edited by Smittak99

7 hours ago, EnRoute2FYB said:

Please for the love of your player base - add First Person as a standard feature in Ark 2. This decision is extremely important because the decision to include / exclude First Person will obviously cause repercussions in terms of the game design / mechanics. So I don’t think it will be a simple case of “a modder can adding First Person back into the game” solving the issues that will come with making the base game Third Person Only.

First Person was such a fundamental component of what made the first Ark so successful. If you’re asking why? It’s what made the game immersive, intense, scary, made shooting bows / crossbows / guns so fun plus much more (exploring caves / going on adventures and being kept on your toes). Feeling like you’re walking in the shoes of your character and you’re always in danger - that is what made Ark so unique and made it so successful as a “survival” game. You simply cannot replicate that sort of experience in a Third Person Only game - the immersion is just not there. 

As someone who has easily spent 10K+ hours playing Ark, and who has played with a tonne of other serious players - I know that a lot of core players feel the same way. So I hope the executives reconsider this decision and look at how they can incorporate First Person into the game from the get go, so that we can ensure Ark 2 retains the immersion that was so amazing in the first one. And if the executives think this is only a “personal opinion” - I would highly encourage them to reach out to the community and ask them, because I have both played with and spoken to a tonne of Ark players over the years and I can guarantee there are a mountain of players who feel the same  way.

I’m really surprised that the executives didn’t realise how much the First Person experience added to the first game and the survival experience as a whole, because I feel like if they had they never would have considered Third Person Only as an option for Ark 2

Unfortunately going implementing a first person mode would severely hold them back, especially in terms of combat. 

This sounds like it has the potential to be everything I hoped for. I'm thrilled that this will have a more developed story as it's something Ark 1 really lacked. Reading about people from the past was fun and I did enjoy the story of ARK 1, but I want other survivors to play with on single player. I'm just not much of an online gamer. I want to play at my pace without having to worry about other tribes ruining my progress. That's just not fun to me. 

Something I feel is extremely important is dino life. Walking around and fighting when they're wild is fine, even if it feels empty, but once tamed, dinos pretty much become dino shaped cars who have no life left in them except to poop and look at me when I get close. Let them shake their bodies or yawn or scratch an itch or herbivores drop their heads to graze. There needs to be life in these animals that shows they ARE animals. Mounts in most other games FEEL like animals.

I got distracted reading comments and love that someone else called them "cars with dino skins" because that's exactly how I feel lol

I also want to throw my vote in for 1st person too. I love 3rd while riding, but never use it when on foot.

Explore a mysterious, chaotic world where native flora and fauna are being overrun by invasive primeval creatures from an extinct Earth!

So do they mean an extinct Earth as in the time of dinosaurs? Because I've really believed in my heart that Earth was saved by the Survivor after Extinction DLC. It'll be sad if the repairs the Arks intended to complete never took hold

to all of you who are complaining about third person view only, it is probably a design choice so they don't have to waste resources trying to make a dodge roll look correct in first person especially if they are going to be designing a heavy movement oriented system. I mean, i dunno i am not like a part of the team, i just know if i was going to be designing a game with alot of that sort of movement i probably would enforce third person as well. *shrugs* plus parkour just looks cooler in third person.

Edited by Kaprosuchus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1