Fish meat vs raw meat

Blackmagic9000

Hello you hungry bob who stole my dodos from my house the other night scrub lords

Today i wana ask this, why does fish meat exist? 

This includes the prime versions too, i have cooked both fish and raw meat and feel that fish meat just...sucks

I was on abb one day and had to eat something, i had fish meat at the time so i eat that and normally eating 4 raw meat would be enough for me to survive the trip to base

But my hungry bar was barely up even. When i did eventually cook it, is there something I'm not looking at?

Please tell me your opinions, stay safe

Generally if you can choose between both, regular meat is better because it provides more food on consumption but fish meat does last way longer before spoiling. Back on beta my tribe controlled HI and after a certain point fish meat was more abundant than regular meat so that was our go to.

My question has always been why get poisoning at all from raw fish when sushi is a thing? Or if there HAS to be a penalty make it less than regular meat.

3 hours ago, LordHotPockets said:

My question has always been why get poisoning at all from raw fish when sushi is a thing? Or if there HAS to be a penalty make it less than regular meat.

The most obvious answer is that not all fish is safe to eat raw, and even fish that are safe to eat raw are not always safe to eat raw. Parasites are not your friend.

But really, the answer is that you're working to hard at trying to go down the realism rabbit hole. In the real world sometimes it's safe to eat meat and fish raw, sometimes it's not, but no one wants the game to randomly poison you when you eat raw meats. For the sake of game play it's just easier and better for everyone if meat & fish have consistent properties so you always know what to do with them.

It's not like making a campfire to cook fish & meat is a difficult thing to do.

9 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

Hello you hungry bob who stole my dodos from my house the other night scrub lords Today i wana ask this, why does fish meat exist? This includes the prime versions too, i have cooked both fish and raw meat and feel that fish meat just...sucks I was on abb one day and had to eat something, i had fish meat at the time so i eat that and normally eating 4 raw meat would be enough for me to survive the trip to base But my hungry bar was barely up even. When i did eventually cook it, is there something I'm not looking at? Please tell me your opinions, stay safe

It sucks. Period.

Its why I stole your dodo! :P

7 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

Ahhhhhhh how dare you but in all seriousness yeah for feeding certain tames I guess if it last longer, how would anyone farm that much fish?

One mosa with 1000% melee, not even imprinted, will gather more fish meat than you could ever know what to do with while hunting alpha mosa's or even if your brave enough, alpha squid.
Like you will literally have thousands of stacks of raw fish from dealing with the sharks, electric eels, and angler fish that harass you while your on your hunt. And Im going to go so far as to say this is true even on official rates. o.o

Sadly however, since it is worse off than raw meat, its kinda useless. Even if you was to take the time to cook it all and give it to the deadon while using the flying away trick to get him to eat it all in one shot, its still rather junk to do compared with just using raw meat quickly as you need to wait for it to cook, and you need gasoline, and you need a couple extra cookers in order to deal with the harvest.
Ontop of that, you really don't want to fill the troughs with fish meat if any babies are depending on it to live. They will outright empty an entire trough in half the time if its filled with fish meat vs regular meat.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:31 PM, Pipinghot said:

The most obvious answer is that not all fish is safe to eat raw, and even fish that are safe to eat raw are not always safe to eat raw. Parasites are not your friend.

I don't remember saying that sushi represents all fish, I meant to use it as an example that some fish are edible raw but you went and made your own assumption it seems. (Font styles are indeed fun aren't they?)

But really, the answer is that you're working to hard at trying to go down the realism rabbit hole. In the real world sometimes it's safe to eat meat and fish raw, sometimes it's not, but no one wants the game to randomly poison you when you eat raw meats. For the sake of game play it's just easier and better for everyone if meat & fish have consistent properties so you always know what to do with them.

I don't really know how you got all that from a 2 sentence offhanded remark or even how it can be construed as "working too* hard" but you appear to have made some additional assumptions. You seem to think that I want the game to emulate real life in the sense that sometimes you get food poisoning from eating raw fish and sometimes you don't, and that is inaccurate. My point was that in reality some fish are edible raw so removing or reducing the poison penalty in the game would make sense to me. Do I think WC would ever do it? No. It would be nice if they did though. Also, your argument for consistency is flawed because they're inherently inconsistent from the beginning. In the game, fish and regular meat have different spoil times and provide different amounts of food per unit consumed so I don't see how altering the poison penalty for fish would cause increased confusion or difficulty for anyone but you.

It's not like making a campfire to cook fish & meat is a difficult thing to do.

There you go assuming again. Of course you should cook the meat if you're able to, or even better use it in a recipe. 10 raw fish meat = 200+ points of food in one my tribe's recipes so I'm not saying to make raw fish meat your staple food in game. Simply put, if you start starving while running around and forgot to bring food then it would be nice to not get poisoned from eating raw fish, that's it.

Initially I wasn't going to respond to this, this is the internet after all so I know I'm screaming into the abyss but if I wanted to be talked down to by someone who clearly thinks they're educating a perceived lesser then I'd just go talk to my bosses at work, no need to come here.

On 6/6/2022 at 12:53 PM, LordHotPockets said:

I don't remember saying that sushi represents all fish

You don't remember it because you didn't say it. Don't be so hard on yourself worrying about what you remember and don't remember.

I meant to use it as an example that some fish are edible raw but you went and made your own assumption it seems. (Font styles are indeed fun aren't they?)

No, I made an inference not an assumption, those are two completely different things. Feel free to go talk to your high school English teacher and ask them why you didn't learn the difference between an assumption and an inference.

You asked the question, "My question has always been why get poisoning at all from raw fish when sushi is a thing?" It's perfectly reasonable to infer from that question that you were either failing to consider or deliberately trying to ignore the fact that some fish is toxic and other fish is not, and therefore you were either unintentionally or intentionally ignoring the obvious conclusion that WildCard has made the decision that raw fish meat in ARK is of the toxic type, not safe for sushi.

WC made the decision that raw fish is toxic, therefore it's both logical and reasonable to infer that they didn't want to make raw fish in ARK fall into the safe/sushi category. The fact that sushi exists in the real world has absolutely nothing to do with them making that decision for the game.

"...why get poisoning at all from raw fish...?" Because that's what WC decided, and the fact that "sushi is a thing" is a meaningless argument, that's why.

(Font styles are indeed fun aren't they?)

Gosh YES, they sure are. But UsInG fOnTs sarcastically isn't going to relieve you of your responsibility for using bad logic in a bad argument.

Your bad argument was bad, and whether you liked or disliked my use of italics isn't going to change that.

I don't really know how you got all that from a 2 sentence offhanded remark or even how it can be construed as "working too* hard" but you appear to have made some additional assumptions.

Also not a assumption. Clearly you need to spend more time learning about what "assumption" really means.

You used a meaningless argument in order to pretend that your complaint was intrinsically valid when it obviously wasn't.

My point was that in reality some fish are edible raw so removing or reducing the poison penalty in the game would make sense to me.

Yes, you were clear and understandable the first time, and your argument was bad. When you 'make a point' that doesn't need to be made in the first place because it's both patently obvious and a meaningless argument then you should expect people to respond. Of course some fish are not toxic and of course WC could have chosen to make raw fish non-toxic, but they didn't. They made the deliberate choice to treat raw fish in ARK as toxic rather than being non-toxic like some species of fish are.

Even is we were to accept your sushi argument as valid, which again it's not, it's still true that species which are safe to eat are not always safe to eat, no species of fish is universally safe to eat raw, because diseases and parasites exist. Your argument is intrinsically flawed for this reason also. Sushi is not universally safe even in today's world of an industrialized society with food inspectors and safety laws so if you're trying to use realism & sushi as the basis for your argument it should be obvious that fish in the world of ARK, which lacks such niceties, would be even less safe than in modern society.

WC made a decision, with deliberate intent, and the fact that non-toxic raw fish exists in no way invalidates or contradicts that decision. Their reason for making that decision are both sound and valid, both from a realism stand point and a game play stand point.

Do I think WC would ever do it? No. It would be nice if they did though.

Now this I can't argue with - you would prefer that they make raw fish non-toxic and you are entitled to your preferences and I support that - as long as you don't pretend that this preference has a stronger logical basis than the decision that WC made.

If you want to post in the suggestions that they change fish to be non-toxic then you have every right to do so. I'm 100% behind your right to post that suggestion and your right to prefer that it be non-toxic. What I don't support is your pretense that the existence of non-toxic fish is somehow an argument that backs up your personal desire, because that's a bad argument.

Also, your argument for consistency is flawed because they're inherently inconsistent from the beginning. In the game, fish and regular meat have different spoil times and provide different amounts of food per unit consumed so I don't see how altering the poison penalty for fish would cause increased confusion or difficulty for anyone but you.

No, meat and fish are different from each other, but each one is consistent with itself. You're trying to compare apples to oranges whereas I was comparing apples to apples and at the same time comparing oranges to oranges. Apparently talking about both meat & fish at the same time was confusing to you so I'll simplify my previous post for you by removing the references to meat.

'But really, the answer is that you're working to hard at trying to go down the realism rabbit hole. In the real world sometimes it's safe to eat fish raw, sometimes it's not, but no one wants the game to randomly poison you when you eat raw fish. For the sake of game play it's just easier and better for everyone if fish has consistent properties so you always know what to do with it.'

There you go assuming again.

Nope, still not assuming, swing and a miss.

Of course you should cook the meat if you're able to, or even better use it in a recipe. 10 raw fish meat = 200+ points of food in one my tribe's recipes so I'm not saying to make raw fish meat your staple food in game. Simply put, if you start starving while running around and forgot to bring food then it would be nice to not get poisoned from eating raw fish, that's it.

Sure, it would be nice, that's something we can agree with, but that doesn't mean that "sushi is a thing" constitutes a valid argument. Again, you're entitled to your preferences, if you want to make a suggestion that WC changes the affects of raw fish then you have every right to make that suggestion. But what you did was try to pretend that the existence of sushi somehow magically creates an argument that your personal preference is objectively more valid than WC's decision, which is nothing more than a good old fashioned flawed premise.

"...but if I wanted to be talked down to by someone who clearly thinks they're educating a perceived lesser then I'd just go talk to my bosses at work, no need to come here."

Wow, you really should look in the mirror some time. Apparently self reflection isn't "your thing".

On 6/8/2022 at 4:40 AM, Pipinghot said:

Because that's what WC decided, and the fact that "sushi is a thing" is a meaningless argument, that's wh

Adding to this a bit, sushi is also typically fish that's been through seven hells of inspection and back to make sure it's safe for consumption. It's also typically farmed fish as opposed to wild caught since the wildcaught stuff is possibly riddled with parasites.

Archived